• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Aren't there always struggles in a relationship? I don't think that's exclusively ENTPs who experience this. We've got our flighty attention, feeling guilty because we can't seem to invest our share while the other is always there for us, our thousand other projects... but then again, who's perfect? Bored by a relationship? Of course not. ESTJs have a tertiary Ne to tickle until it comes out.
Moreover, since when doesn't the ENTP "challenge, yeah, let's solve this" attitude hold any more?

A

A window to the soul

Aren't there always struggles in a relationship? I don't think that's exclusively ENTPs who experience this. We've got our flighty attention, feeling guilty because we can't seem to invest our share while the other is always there for us, our thousand other projects... but then again, who's perfect? Bored by a relationship? Of course not. ESTJs have a tertiary Ne to tickle until it comes out.
Moreover, since when doesn't the ENTP "challenge, yeah, let's solve this" attitude hold any more?

Tam, Great points. You're in a committed relationship, so in your case, I think the "let's solve this" attitude makes sense. Without a doubt, that's what I'm looking for. Where failure is not an option. That should be the ENTP motto, lolz. However, in a dating relationship where one is exploring compatibility with another, there seems to be a greater potential for "let's move on" because it frees one to explore other options and understand what they want.

I've read that there are several levels of chemistry that ideally should exist too. Do you think that's true? Also, there's the long-term question of, "can I live with their quirks and can they live with mine?" Finally, the more one brings to the table, the less needy one becomes, and the choosier. I'm not sure how ENTP's overcome these curiosities/hurdles without actually exploring their options and breaking a few hearts.

:blush:

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
As...there's ALWAYS something to work on, you just can't sit and wait for it to reveal itself. You must go out and search, rather than become complacent to stagnancy. So, unless you're dead, you're constantly a work in progress, and thus, so are your relationships around you.

I'd like to put this in my signature but it's a tad bit too long. Can you rephrase it by chance a bit ? :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
- the focus of intrest: enfps directly deal with human relations and like to chatter about them, entps are more into concepts, philosophies, ideas maybe related to human relationships, but could be related to computer science as well
- the amount of unicorns posted
- Introspective empathy, enfps have a lot, entps learn by observation
- Entps can be more aloof towards people or be more sensitive
- Entps usually have at least one giant killer robot in their service

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
What are some obvious cues to tell ENFP and ENTP apart?

With the ENFPs I've known I've noticed you'll be messing around, having a good time with them and all of a sudden they'll get very business-like and task-master-y. Especially when things need to get done and I'll be like "whoa! where the hell did THAT come from?"

My more uncharacteristic "whoa! where the hell did that come from?" moments involve me getting all sensitive and smooshy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yea I can sign that, you are really over-sensitive ! no I ofc mean what you said before :D

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
...godless, loveless, nerdy looking jokers that throw people under the bus. That doesn't describe me most of the time.
It's rare to find an NTP like this in real life because most of them are active on INTPc their entire waking hours. ;)

A

A window to the soul

I've thought a lot about this subject, so I'll give it a shot.

Mushy may not be a fair gauge because Fe can be attributed to that; particularly, in mature ENTP's. It looks like ENFP's have a much better grasp on their emotions (due to Fi?). I often see them take passionate stands on a myriad of topics: save the rain forest; save the tally wackers; save thine eyes from the ugliness. Whereas, an ENTP will jump in and make wise cracks or hmmm about it. What also stands out to me is how ENFP's express moodiness and sensitivity similar to an INFP. I'm neither moody, nor sensitive in that way. I think that ties in with what Allegory said about something triggering ENFP's to suddenly taskmaster; which may be mostly internally value driven for them. I will definitely taskmaster too, but it manifests itself in a different fashion, where there should be a pretty clear distinction from the outside looking in. For example, I'll taskmaster after time has passed to where I've reached a breaking point with illogical conversations (gone in circles), breaches of common goals that are killing the team morale, pessimistic/defeatists attitudes that resist my attempts to turn them around, someone taskmastering me too much, and other such stressors.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

In addition to what's already been said, there are Fi (ENFP) vs Ti (ENTP) clues. ENTPs form opinions by thinking through what looks logical according to the information they've gathered, and might not offer an opinion on something if they don't feel informed enough to have a logical opinion. Although some might use Ne to fill in the blanks and not worry so much about informing Ti.

My impression is that ENFPs are likely to be more opinionated about things that touch on their values, and might get angry if you disagree with them on something that violates their values. That is Fi. Everyone does this, but it seems ENFPs do it more than ENTPs.

They'll also challenge you differently in an argument. An ENFP is more likely to see a differing opinion as being something only an asshole would think, while an ENTP is more likely to see differing opinions as illogical or stupid. But the more mature of both types might converge to a more live and let live attitude.

Edit: Also, I think both types like to argue to learn more, but both types (especially younger ones) may also try to "win". An ENTP will think they won if they see their own arguments as more logical, and an ENFP might think they won if they had more to say and were more passionate about it, or if they've dismissed the other as an asshole.

Both types tend to be very playful, but I think ENFPs are more playful, and usually more sensitive to other people's feelings, especially in ways that they can relate to.

(ENFPs, feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted you. :) )

Last edited:
A

A window to the soul

This question goes out to the ENTP's that are in a committed relationship. How long have you dated your current SO? For the ones that are married, how long did you date your spouse?

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
This question goes out to the ENTP's that are in a committed relationship. How long have you dated your current SO? For the ones that are married, how long did you date your spouse?

Count me in the serial monogamy club. Although when I was younger, I did have trouble choosing. Especially because I went from pizza face in high school to getting lots of attention in uni (luckily got my face cleared up on time for it). I remember having serious crushes on 3 guys all at once, and having trouble deciding which one to go out with.

But after choosing one of them, I had a series of long-term relationships. My first real boyfriend was for 1 1/2 yrs, and after that they ranged from 1 1/2 to 5 yrs long.

I think part of the reason I didn't get bored with them was because I can tell pretty quickly if I find someone interesting or not, so did the screening for boredom at the front end. Also, I was always really picky about who I was willing to go out with, and would take my time and enjoy being single for awhile between relationships.

My INTJ hub and I were together for 4 1/2 yrs before we got married last year. Most people who don't know us well assume that I was waiting anxiously that long for him to propose, but we actually talked about it early on and decided not to get married unless and until we were both sure we wanted the same things in the long term. And that meant waiting for me to make up my mind about something major.

(I wasn't sure whether I wanted kids or not, so we waited until I was sure about it. The timing coincidentally worked out well because he was eligible to become a US citizen just on time for us to get married when we wanted to, which then made me eligible for a green card. Up until now, I've been in the US on work visas, so I'm excited that I'll finally be free to work where I want without having to worry about work visas.)

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I made a long post about my follow-up questions and now it's all gone!!! :( :( :(

I'll do this at another time, and I hope you guys wouldn't mind to answer even though if it's a little late. :(

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I made a long post about my follow-up questions and now it's all gone!!! :( :( :(

I'll do this at another time, and I hope you guys wouldn't mind to answer even though if it's a little late. :(

Boo, I hate when that happens. It happened to me in the past until I got into the habit of copying what I wrote just before I hit reply. (That way if the original gets lost in the ether, I can just paste it back in to a new Reply box.)

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Boo, I hate when that happens. It happened to me in the past until I got into the habit of copying what I wrote just before I hit reply. (That way if the original gets lost in the ether, I can just paste it back in to a new Reply box.)

I do that, too. :yes: Cause if there's one thing I HATE HATE HATE it would be doing work twice. :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Dated for five years, married for almost four. Next year we're going to give some parties!
Hubby: we can even choose, 10 years together or 5 years married.
Me: Both! The more parties the merrier!
Hubby: You organize them.
Me: Well I *do*have the biggest Fe... *grin*

storybrook

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5

Dating for 1 year and a few months, and recently engaged.

I was also married for a couple years in my early twenties. You know, just for the hell of it.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Question 1: Which NT types do most ENTP get along with? Why?

Question 2: Which NF types do you have conflicts with easily? Why?

A

A window to the soul

Question 1: Which NT types do most ENTP get along with? Why?

Question 2: Which NF types do you have conflicts with easily? Why?

I like all NT's; it's kick off your boots and let your hair down fun times. Give me enthusiastic, intelligent people that can hold their own in a conversation. I get along naturally well with INTP's and ENTP's. Admittedly, I enjoy fiery debates with xNTJ's until we abruptly veer off the road and get stuck in the mud. Let the mud slingin begin!

I guess I get along with everybody, but I don't enjoy everybody as much as I ultimately want to. For instance, I know I don't fully appreciate what NF's bring to a conversation. For those NF's in my inner circle, I will go above and beyond the call, to filter through the stuff & fluff, and understand. It's drama baby drama sometimes though! Just please don't resist my charm. : D