• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Satan

MBTI Type
ENTP
ok whats the difference between ENTP and ENFP because i cant freakin figure out which one i am!! errrr i act entp when i'm dominant in a friendship/relaionship and enfp when im submissive... however i prefer to be dominant... i am extremely EP. yeah that pretty much sums it up thank you and goodnight
You could also try a function test: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

xisnotx

Permabanned
I need some advice from entps.

As someone who could easily be mistaken for an entp irl I think I have some social issues that entps might be able to relate with.
How do you form deep relationships? I'm guessing that most entps will have many acquaintances but very few actual friends. I know I do. I tend to just jump from acquaintance to acquaintance. It's fun, but it also gets annoying not having anyone when I actually probably need them.

How do you stop manipulating people? I imagine most entps know what I mean. People are very manipulatable. I (sometimes) have a problem of manipulating people so much so that I imagine that they might start to think I'm a bad person (which very well might be the case)...but I always feel bad about it. For example, I will manipulate a situation to get free lunch. I don't realize that is what I'm doing while I'm doing the "manipulating" and I very rarely intend to do it on purpose, (I'm just thinking I'm having a good time) but afterwards...I realize that I was probably doing it on purpose.

How to stop feeling bad when people grow attached to you and you think of them of nothing as "someone you happen to know"?

Advice would be awesome.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I need some advice from entps.

As someone who could easily be mistaken for an entp irl I think I have some social issues that entps might be able to relate with.
How do you form deep relationships? I'm guessing that most entps will have many acquaintances but very few actual friends. I know I do. I tend to just jump from acquaintance to acquaintance. It's fun, but it also gets annoying not having anyone when I actually probably need them.

How do you stop manipulating people? I imagine most entps know what I mean. People are very manipulatable. I (sometimes) have a problem of manipulating people so much so that I imagine that they might start to think I'm a bad person (which very well might be the case)...but I always feel bad about it. For example, I will manipulate a situation to get free lunch. I don't realize that is what I'm doing while I'm doing the "manipulating" and I very rarely intend to do it on purpose, (I'm just thinking I'm having a good time) but afterwards...I realize that I was probably doing it on purpose.

How to stop feeling bad when people grow attached to you and you think of them of nothing as "someone you happen to know"?

Advice would be awesome.

I have managed to blow so many frienships you cant count with ten fingers. I have build whole circles of friends, I have connected people on a large scale, those people wouldnt have ever met without me. Yet my part of the bargain was never the dependable one, the one that I cared for a relationship so much for the sake of the relationship.

The greatest thing I've always wanted in my life and still want was a best friend. I never had that in my life, on the contrary it was even worse: I had to mask myself a lot and to adapt even within my circle of friends; if I had always said what I was thinking, they'ld prolly turned their backs on me.

When I started to smoking pot and drinking a lot, I lost a lot of my ability to camouflage in society and started telling people what I really think about them. That has made me so bitter and alone you cant imagine. I always wished for nothing more than to be just like the others, to be accepted and to have real, deep and true friendships, but it never worked, no matter what I tried. I just think differently.

When I was at the total point of no return and felt like killing myself, I've met my girlfriend and she was the first person in my life who appreciated the way I was thinking. No matter what I say until this day in 5 years she has never given me the impression that she totally disagrees with me or doesnt know where my argumentation is coming from. She understands me better than I understand myself.

She's the best friend I ever had and to me that is mandatory, any relationship with a girl I could have would always need her to be my best friend aswell. I respect her intelligence and her deep emotional insight.

I asked her once a similiar question, I asked what makes me so different that I just dont get along with people or that I dont care for relationships as if they'ld really mean something to me and she said to me that I am just being myself. If I dont care for a relationship it's because actually the person does give me nothing and isnt the friend I need. I think especially in highschool this has been a very large problem, in University it got better cause I met people with my intrests.

I dont know if that does help you with anything, but I am convinced that of all types we arent the worst one in keeping up our friendships, on the contrary, we are the most honest ones. Cause we suck at acting superficially and wear the heart on the tongue.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi fellow ENTPs,
Do you have these sad times too, when you've got no inspiration at all? You just plod on, your mind seems slower than usual and it requires great effort to think anything at all, let alone get enthousiastic about something or do anything creative?
It's like being very tired, only it doesn't go away after a good night sleeping... I've had such a week recently, luckily it's over now. I don't know what caused it and what cured it. Any ideas?

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hi fellow ENTPs,
Do you have these sad times too, when you've got no inspiration at all? You just plod on, your mind seems slower than usual and it requires great effort to think anything at all, let alone get enthousiastic about something or do anything creative?
It's like being very tired, only it doesn't go away after a good night sleeping... I've had such a week recently, luckily it's over now. I don't know what caused it and what cured it. Any ideas?

Yes, I can relate to this.

(By the way, I suspect at the current moment that I may be one of your type, or something close to it.)

Usually, though, I find that there is a reason behind it. For example, a couple of weeks ago, the semester ended and most people from school left for the summer, including all of my best friends. I'm here for the duration of the summer and will be working on campus and taking a class- however, none of that starts until June. Plus I applied for some jobs around town but haven't heard back yet.

So, long story short, I've had no outside stimulation, and have not been able to do much of anything beyond playing video games and watching television all day. Understandably, this is not fun for me at all, because I'm not normally like this. Hell, that's pretty much why I barely ever come on here, cause I usually have more fun and exciting things to do, lol. But I blame lack of outside stimulation for this- at least in my case.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Hi fellow ENTPs,

Yup. We have a tendency to get depressed for a while. Some of us for longer than others. That's why it can be hard to identify with the overly-ebullient descriptions that are often made of ENTPs.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
How do you stop manipulating people? I imagine most entps know what I mean. People are very manipulatable. I (sometimes) have a problem of manipulating people so much so that I imagine that they might start to think I'm a bad person (which very well might be the case)...but I always feel bad about it

You can start by respecting them and making the hard choice of being fair.

A

A window to the soul

Hi fellow ENTPs,

I don't relate to sad times, I feel alive. I'm stressed by time constraints and the endless circles; like people that fret for my help to find a solution, but still take the same road that leads to nowhere. Crazy limitations of the human psyche!

Faith is the cure.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Faith is the cure.

No disrespect to your beliefs but my answer to that is: Yet for others faith can be the cause.

One size does not fit all.

My answer is: reduce stress.

A

A window to the soul

No disrespect to your beliefs but my answer to that is: Yet for others faith can be the cause.

One size does not fit all.

My answer is: reduce stress.

Stress may be reduced by changing our attitude towards the stressor through faith...
:p

Faith that God is with us
Faith that "this too shall pass"
Faith that you can overcome ANY obstacles
Faith that your theories are correct
Faith that there IS a way
Faith that with a few minor tweaks...
Faith that by all indications the odds are in your favor
Faith that there's at least one person out there that loves you
Faith that it's worth it

Realistically it's not possible to remove many of the stressors, but it is possible to change our attitude.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Stress may be reduced by changing our attitude towards the stressor through faith...
:p

Faith that God is with us
Faith that "this too shall pass"
Faith that you can overcome ANY obstacles
Faith that your theories are correct
Faith that there IS a way
Faith that with a few minor tweaks...
Faith that by all indications the odds are in your favor
Faith that there's at least one person out there that loves you
Faith that it's worth it

Realistically it's not possible to remove many of the stressors, but it is possible to change our attitude.

I understood that you were not speaking about only religion, the issue, and I'll use myself as an example, is that I rely too much on faith that everything will turn out peachy-keen without actually doing anything to change the current situation. My E7 ways mean I dislike pain and seek joy, this includes too much avoidance when highly stressed.

My optimism and "faith" that things will work out can cause issues for me as it is an excuse for not being proactive.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

How someone feels about you is not your prerogative. I mean, we all have influence on other people (just as they have influence on us), but ultimately we only have the MOST influence and the MOST control over ourselves. I'm ultimately not responsible for making sure they never get hurt. That's their responsibility and a little rejection isn't going to kill them anyway.

It's interesting, though, because while I sometimes really don't give a damn about other people, I can still get wrapped up very easily in how I appear to others and I can care very much if I'm admired and accepted or not. I've found that the more I make an effort to find reasons to care for others and act accordingly, the less I feel anxious about their opinions of me. Probably has something to do with the fact that people are going to accept you better if you make them feel good and respect them so...you know. :laugh:

Anyway, that's probably how you form deep relationships. Although most of the battle for me is finding people I want to try and care for enough to bother forming a deep relationship with. :shrug:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Stupid multiple-quote feature doesn't work! Multiquoting manually:

So, long story short, I've had no outside stimulation, and have not been able to do much of anything beyond playing video games and watching television all day. Understandably, this is not fun for me at all, because I'm not normally like this. Hell, that's pretty much why I barely ever come on here, cause I usually have more fun and exciting things to do, lol. But I blame lack of outside stimulation for this- at least in my case.
Faith is the cure.
My optimism and "faith" that things will work out can cause issues for me as it is an excuse for not being proactive.
I can somehow relate to all three. Sometimes my mind gets occupied by negative thoughts, and then indeed faith would be the cure. I like the "indications that the odds are in your favor" one, because it calls on Ti :). But if you've been living in an all-too-optimistic mindset for a long time, it's very hard when you hit reality. Outside stimulation is always nice, though it doesn't always cure the problem.
I'm now thinking that we should have some patience with ourselves. Those sad times happen, and sometimes nothing seems to kindle your enthousiasm. Those sad times are the price to pay - after all, 98% of the time we're a crazy, happy-go-lucky, creative type :-D!

A

A window to the soul

Boy oh boy, I understand that! : )

Outside stimulation is always nice, though it doesn't always cure the problem.
I'm now thinking that we should have some patience with ourselves. Those sad times happen, and sometimes nothing seems to kindle your enthousiasm. Those sad times are the price to pay - after all, 98% of the time we're a crazy, happy-go-lucky, creative type :-D!

Yes and I like that idea! BTW, my sister's nickname is Tam. : D

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Huh, this is interesting...so ENTPs, how much do you feel like you're optimistic and upbeat?

Looks like we've got some differing points of view here!

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Optimistic ---> Most of the time

Upbeat----> Some of the time

Crazy/Happy-Go-Lucky/Creative---> Only on good days

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I always thought crazy-go-lucky was enfp style while we'ld do it with a dash of grace xD then again dont get your moods down just because i am a grumpy old man :)