• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Dictionary.com presents The Byronic Hero:

Byronic hero definition

A kind of hero found in several of the works of Lord Byron. Like Byron himself, a Byronic hero is a melancholy and rebellious young man, distressed by a terrible wrong he committed in the past.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Suppressing them would be unENTP, it's more a matter of managing them.

And how do you "manage" them, my lovely? I know what NFJs are capable of, good and bad, and that we live under a shroud. I tend to channel my, shall we say, less than stellar attributes into something I hope will be better than just giving them free rein. What do you do to contain/train/sublimate those impulses?

Personally I wear a black cape and troll the streets at night taking the law into my own hands, but each ENTP would be different.

And this why we shall never divorce! :heart: haha! :D

These flaws allow me to connect with the common folk.

Can you elaborate on that for me? I know that tertiary Fe in ExTPs can be quite a force, almost on par with Fe primary ExFJs. I've always wondered why that is.

Dictionary.com presents The Byronic Hero:

Byronic hero definition

A kind of hero found in several of the works of Lord Byron. Like Byron himself, a Byronic hero is a melancholy and rebellious young man, distressed by a terrible wrong he committed in the past.

Indeed. I'd add that it's any strong and dark impulse or neuroses, possibly and probably leaning into libertine behaviors.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is there a portrait of you miserably rotting away in an attic on your behalf, OMT? Why am I not surprised.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Is there a portrait of you miserably rotting away in an attic on your behalf, OMT? Why am I not surprised.

Well, I am sitting in a converted attic, and it's quite hot up here...

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
ENTPs: Do you find that your dom Ne leads to you making stuff up just for fun? -- and do you lie well (even if you don't lie often)?

(P.S. No judgment. I lie a lot, but I don't do it well. I was thinking my opposite might.)

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hi ENTPs,

Do you like jumping from topic to topic when having a friendly conversation?

Qre:us

Hi ENTPs,

NO!

See the thing is, where exactly does one "topic" end and another begin? Because what others may see as jumps, I see a very real thread of connection, thus making it relevant [and even MORE interesting] to the topic at hand. And, speaking of hands, did you know that the use of one's hands actually influences the way the brain shapes itself for language development? Gives a whole new meaning to the statement, "Talk to the hand...."

Not that I ever found that statement insulting, as most of our language is body language anyway, and well....what? Where was I?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs: Do you find that your dom Ne leads to you making stuff up just for fun? -- and do you lie well (even if you don't lie often)?

A lot of weird and random thoughts appear in my head if that is what you mean. I don't make up facts or lie (and I'm a terrible liar). It's more that I just come up with a lot of new, weird, funny concepts.

Hi ENTPs,

I like to just talk and see where the conversation goes. I do find that when non-NP types change the topic they usually have an agenda, and that annoys me. I like to see where the conversation naturally goes.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

(P.S. No judgment. I lie a lot, but I don't do it well. I was thinking my opposite might.)

Reminds me of what I used to do to a friend for fun at school, he'd ask me for answers to an assignment and I'd give him pretty believeable jibberish :D I once filled out one of his assignments with absolute random crap lol. I play devils advocate a bit, particularly if I want something. Pretty funny when you trick someone into being nice to you ;)

Hi ENTPs,

Very much so. I have been acused of this all to often, if I have a question, I kinda just ask without such transitional crap. Many conversations end up looping back a little bit and expanding eventually, but a convo about pumpkins could easily end up about big glasses or golden eggs within a brief moment. Especially when I've had a bit to drink :D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Can you elaborate on that for me? I know that tertiary Fe in ExTPs can be quite a force, almost on par with Fe primary ExFJs. I've always wondered why that is.

I think I would call this our primary social link, as it should be; the image that we give off is important still to us. This is how we connect with people, due to the lack of development of our personal values, we use this function specifically to relate with others that find us strange. Our thoughts may seem extremely off the wall and pompous, but if our actions show otherwise perhaps that will carry more weight. I speak of flaws because of our (or I should say my) tendency towards arrogance. I am arrogant, but I know I am flawed and if people can remember this at all time it brings humanity to the forefront and my friends can still accept me because I do not appear perfect or I don't give off the feel that I'm better than them, which is what Fe is all about anyway, in the healthy sense it is about acceptance. I would say that this tendency towards acceptance is our realization that we don't necessarily create things, but alter them, so we need the thoughts of others in order to add on to them. Fe is the essence of our dependency on others.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
NO!

See the thing is, where exactly does one "topic" end and another begin? Because what others may see as jumps, I see a very real thread of connection, thus making it relevant [and even MORE interesting] to the topic at hand. And, speaking of hands, did you know that the use of one's hands actually influences the way the brain shapes itself for language development? Gives a whole new meaning to the statement, "Talk to the hand...."

Not that I ever found that statement insulting, as most of our language is body language anyway, and well....what? Where was I?

Conversations don't have topics, they have movements. They have motifs, thematic consistency and variation, melody, harmony, rhythm and dynamics. A truly great conversation is no different than a great piece of music, especially since the best conversations eventually come around full circle in the way great pieces of music do.

Qre:us

Conversations don't have topics, they have movements.

What an elegant way to put it. I couldn't agree more. :yes:

They have motifs, thematic consistency and variation, melody, harmony, rhythm and dynamics. A truly great conversation is no different than a great piece of music, especially since the best conversations eventually come around full circle in the way great pieces of music do.

I have often experienced the bolded, and it evokes this sense of "closure"/fulfillment/revelation once the parties, or at least, myself, part from that conversation.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Conversations don't have topics, they have movements. They have motifs, thematic consistency and variation, melody, harmony, rhythm and dynamics. A truly great conversation is no different than a great piece of music, especially since the best conversations eventually come around full circle in the way great pieces of music do.

Ya that's sort of what I meant lol

My ENTP friend is one the easiest people to talk to because we never run out of things to talk about. It's really nice.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
How do you suppress your Byronic tendencies?
Ugh. I don't like this type of (anti)heroes. Maybe because most Mary Sues/Gary Stus are of that type. A hero with lots of abilities and kicking everybody's ass because he has been terribly wronged before? Boring.

I've had a happy childhood, but nevertheless I want to become a great writer.

(...) I know that tertiary Fe in ExTPs can be quite a force, almost on par with Fe primary ExFJs. I've always wondered why that is.
We need the input. We thrive on it. We want to discuss about theories, we want to gather new and strange ideas and combine them all.
We use the Fe as a means to satisfy our addiction.

I enjoy making stuff up. I hate outright lying and are really bad at it. I would simplify or embellish stories, unless I realize what I'm doing.

Hi ENTPs,
Sure. But I enjoy getting deep into a topic, too, to the point other people would say "enough, I get it already!". Well, debating is a means to refine my understanding.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And how do you "manage" them, my lovely? I know what NFJs are capable of, good and bad, and that we live under a shroud. I tend to channel my, shall we say, less than stellar attributes into something I hope will be better than just giving them free rein. What do you do to contain/train/sublimate those impulses?

Way I see it ENTPs can be champions and villains at the same time, those two parts are inter-merged. Comes down to perspective as to what is right in a situation. I know personally I'm probably capable of doing things that could be seen as villainous by others if it was justified in my head, but at the same time I have a strong desire to put humanitarian needs above all else.

Figuratively speaking, I could kill one to save many. And I would sleep at night fine.

And this why we shall never divorce! :heart: haha! :D

:heart:

People are the ultimate feedback machines. They give me inspiration.

I make stuff up for fun a lot, the more unbelievable and absurd the fable, whilst still being eaten up by my audience, the better. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will take me seriously when I say something outlandish. Of course the punch line isn't funny unless I explain I'm being absurd so people will know in the end that I'm being stupid.

Lying though is a whole other game and one I prefer not to partake in, firstly and rather importantly I do not have a good memory, remembering the truth is hard enough, having to remember two versions of the story is stupid, secondly I highly value honesty and the ability to be forthright and lastly I do not feel good about fibbing, I'd rather say nothing, or tell the blunt truth and deal with the consequences.

Not really, the way you suggest that sounds rather stop-starty. I like flow, letting the conversation go where ever both parties want it to without silent time in between that is clearly filled with both people desperately racking their brains to think of something to say to fill the silence. Flow. Ne finds the link between topics so no jumping is required.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Ok guys. Thanks for answering my lying question. It's interesting to hear you do not all lie well -- maybe this has less to do with type than I thought. ;) Thanks again.

Chloe

is it atypical or typical for ENTP to think that only thing you should know about phylosophy is that it exists and that you should do whatever you want to do. all else could be brainwashing and feels like brainwashing to him.

is it?