• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It seems like most of you have picked a "path" that is totally random.

Interesting. I'm not at that stage yet. I know where life will possibly take me, but I tend to take it as it comes, or in a varying portion of instances– the ones I'm interested in for reasons I'm still figuring out (possibly the complexity of it all)– I'll act on an impulse I just feel as "right." Maybe I use what you call a path in a short term form.

How do you prioritize? Where do you get your ideas? Do you all have "callings" like this?

I know what I have to do, so I make as much time as possible to do what I want before or after I take care of my responsibilities (or whatever you want to call them). I'm not sure where I get my ideas; I think a lot of it is viewing the external world and applying forms or functions from my past into it. I also find myself instantly asking and answering questions because I identify the basic principles of a situation quickly.

Oh, and do you get along with other ENTPs? Or is like putting two cats in the same room - totally unpredictable?

It depends. I like them– they like me (so far from what I've seen), but you must realize as there are different senses, there are different lines of intuition. Some Ne/Ti users' lines of intuition and logic I follow more than others; I know an ENTP which I can have casual talk with, but our tastes and line of reasoning is quite different from each others as we focus on different variables than one another.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs!
It seems like most of you have picked a "path" that is totally random. I know one who is in the third world, doing relief work because it's his "calling," one who works in the music industry, another whose "calling" is in politics, and another who is a pro whitewater kayaker who wants to revert the world back to 1860.
How do you prioritize? Where do you get your ideas? Do you all have "callings" like this?
Path? Prioritizing?

No, random is more like the word. I'm in some situation and dreaming about tens or hundreds of possible other lives and before I know I have to make a choice... When I was in high school, people kept asking me what I wanted to do afterwards. And I answered to get them off my back, because I wanted to create computer games/read books / ... and not thinking about boring REAL life. So I said "science" because that seemed interesting. And the choice was made. It was a good one, because, yes, it was interesting. Much the same way I rolled into a PhD and afterwards into a teaching job. We (at least, I) make the choices when it's really needed.
Of course, now I'm striving to become a writer. I'm a little disappointed with myself that I didn't write this much when in high school and university...

Oh, and do you get along with other ENTPs? Or is like putting two cats in the same room - totally unpredictable?
Depends on the ENTPs. I know an ENTP I wouldn't want to live or work with for too long... I know another one and we get along great. Luckily for me, it's the latter who's my father-in-law :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what do you see to be the biggest difference between ENTPs and ESTPs? just out of curiosity :)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs are theorists, ESTPs experimentalists?

But we don't shun a little experiment either... if it can confirm or break our theory. General theory comes first. I'd say the ESTP would experiment first and theorize later.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
what do you see to be the biggest difference between ENTPs and ESTPs? just out of curiosity :)

ESTPs will physically get up and act a lot more quickly than ENTPs.
ENTPs will dissect a complex situation a lot more quickly than ESTPs.

We get the same sort of excitement, just a different stimulus. If you take an ESTP into a large room and flick on the lights to reveal a complex obstacle course, you may find they go just as crazy as if you took an ENTP in a large room and flicked on the lights to reveal the schematics to an anti-gravity machine.

And this works great when the two are together because we can easily share this excitement in completely different fields! Both types end up discovering something new, which, as you know, gets us pretty excited.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I personally can't stand love (the teenage passion kind, I mean). It's an annoying flurry of chemicals through your system that tells you that you want to be with a person. It's an enjoyable feeling, alright, but it makes you do many rash things. I want to date and marry a girl who will be a good partner for me, not someone I have a teenage passion for: teenage passions wear off. Really loving someone is a choice, and is something that must be worked on so that it doesn't fall apart. Bottling it in and ignoring it also sucks, which is annoying because that's generally what I do.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I always thought love and passion are different things.
Passion: Fi reigns.
Love: Ti and Fi agree and strenghten each other :D

The flurry of chemicals has been perfected by evolution for millions of years. It is bound to get you to the person best suited to propagate your genes. Of course, "being good for gene multiplying" is not the same as "being good for you". That's where logic and a healthy mind can help.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always thought love and passion are different things.
Passion: Fi reigns.
Love: Ti and Fi agree and strenghten each other :D

The flurry of chemicals has been perfected by evolution for millions of years. It is bound to get you to the person best suited to propagate your genes. Of course, "being good for gene multiplying" is not the same as "being good for you". That's where logic and a healthy mind can help.

Hmm. I've never thought as passion as being the child of Fi. Kind of interesting. So, passion in regards to a person might be Fi/Fe? And passion in regard to a thought Fi/Ti?

Is love expressed as some form of Fe? Perhaps love is the ultimate caring mortar that binds us together in some way, an F concern. After all, it is our feeling that is more likely concerned with matters of the heart.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, not really... just an easy way of saying.

Have you read The solitude of prime numbers by Paolo Giordano? If not, you should... it's good. Mattia (the main character) hates 'normal' things like going to parties,... At one point, he meets a woman for who he would do all those 'normal' things. He still hates them, but it's a price he wants to pay in order to be together with her.
You know you're in love when you want to do those things advocated by publicity (like buying flowers, spending a night together on a bench and looking at the stars while NOT discussing about light speed) just in order to be together with someone.
But Mattia didn't realise you can actually have the best of two worlds. You don't have to do those things in order to show you love. Chances are, your boyfriend/girlfriend hates them too. Why sitting through a love movie in order to please someone who accepts it in order to please you when you could watch science fiction instead?
And when you're sitting on a bench, looking at the stars, and the discussion does turn towards light speed... then you're the happiest person on earth.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I wouldnt want to think that love can be allocated to a certain function, its more the whole person you are in love with. Of course, the most loving things in my girlfriend to me are, when she cares for me ( like leaving me a share of tobacco in the box in the mornings, because she knows we are both broke and cant buy new: maybe a Fe trait ) and when I go into a roleplay of words with her, in which we share a powerful Ni / Ne combo and both have a feeling of enlightnment in the course of discussion but with different things.

She tho wouldnt be my girlfriend without her other traits aswell, for example her moodiness or forgetfulness. Plus her sometimes egoistic nature is a thing I like to criticize when it arises.

These are tho all things I love in her and first in combination they form the person I love. If I were to advocate that to a certain mbti function or if I would make the assumption that due to the fact that I am loving her, all INFJs must be loveable creatures, I walk on dangerous ice; leaving my mind open to the danger of creating a dream world of things to me that works best for me, neglecting the real physical world and its new insights it can bring to create a new person of me thru the various stages of my life.

On the quest of understanding, it's imparitive to keep a naive attitude.

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I go into a roleplay of words with her, in which we share a powerful Ni / Ne combo and both have a feeling of enlightnment in the course of discussion but with different things.

Wow, so I kinda read that: "I go into a roleplay...with her" and things just got kinda effed up from there. o.0

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
^Banter? Humor? We're discussing theories! That's the whole purpose of our existence!
(and yes, this was meant as a joke)