• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
but intp ansver is the correct one if entp says otherwise. so why ask an entp when you can just ask an intp?

I'm not too sure. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes people want to talk to someone who isn't pompously self-absorbed? Alternatively, believe it or not, sometimes people aren't interested in the "correct answer" and choose instead to ask questions to socialize with the people who they consider to be of relatively higher value.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'm not too sure. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes people want to talk to someone who isn't pompously self-absorbed? Alternatively, believe it or not, sometimes people aren't interested in the "correct answer" and choose instead to ask questions to socialize with the people who they consider to be of relatively higher value.

Nonsense! People value me. That's why they never we never go past small talk.

ENTPs, how do you feel when you mess up?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Like crap.

If I muster up the energy to work on something, I put my all into it. If it sucks, that means I suck.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, I will try on the E then.

How to connect more with your surroundings, especially people? For me as I sometimes can get jealous of the social butterflies. How to shine in the spotlight. Is the E learned, or is it an inherent quality?
I guess you ask it to the wrong Extravert type. I've seen this more among the forum - ENTPs seem to be the Es who are the least comfortable in social situations.
I'm attributing it to the NTP part making the E part picky. We need our interaction like an extravert, but if we can't discuss about theories or tell nonsense stories... in short, if there is no further purpose to the talk than 'socializing', we feel drained by it and we long for it to be over.
The function making us an E is Ne, the abstract idea generator. Of course, when talking to people, we use Fe too... If we can use both, we're happy. If we can't use our Ne in the interaction, it will generate ideas that have nothing to do with the interaction and distract us.

"Feeling at ease in social situations" is something you can get better at by exercise, and I think Introverts can do that as well as Extraverts. Maybe you should ask an INTP?
Needing interaction to be productive, liking the interaction... those things make you an E.

but intp ansver is the correct one if entp says otherwise. so why ask an entp when you can just ask an intp?
Why are you asking this here if you can just ask an INTP there? Your actions contradict your words...

Like anyone, probably?
Like I'm never good enough and I've got to say sorry all the way through my life. If I feel really bad, I start remembering everything that went wrong before and generalize to the point that I'm worthless.
Luckily, such a state of mind doesn't hold long.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Like I have to completely reestablish my value to others.

Like anyone, probably?
Like I'm never good enough and I've got to say sorry all the way through my life. If I feel really bad, I start remembering everything that went wrong before and generalize to the point that I'm worthless.
Luckily, such a state of mind doesn't hold long.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why are you asking this here if you can just ask an INTP there? Your actions contradict your words...

because i wasnt being serious.

didnt you entps understand that i wasnt being serious?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
because i wasnt being serious.

didnt you entps understand that i wasnt being serious?

My default assumption is that no one is being serious, because I'm usually not, this does not however mean that I won't pretend to give a serious straight-faced answer as a response. This is potentially how people are humoured into taking me seriously :thinking:

sleepy

Thanks for answering the questions. Not very impressed with your social knowledge.

However I liked this observation. Also alignes with you guys lack of confidence. Maybe Es actually are more insecure, hence they often come off as noise?
There are people who are strong E's who are simply really noisy and irritating to be around, and there are I's who are polished, refined and indispensable as the life of the party.

:huh: Isn't that the point with the thread, asking an ENTP a question?

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
Okay, despite not being an ENTP, I'm going to throw in my two pence worth, based on how it looks to one of your ENFP cousins. I know this might be annoying as the thread is "Ask an ENTP", not "Ask an ENFP to pontificate about ENTPs". so take my question as: how much of what I write rings true and how much is well wide of the mark?

I still see you guys as "people persons" though. A people person, IMO, is not defined by whether or not you can remember names and faces. People can get over it if you don't remember their name. You guys still have the ability to make new friends all day long. There's another thread going right now about how ENTP's need people around them to be productive. You guys enjoy people. I don't. I mean, I do to some extent. I like people. But, I really want to like them from a distance. Call me if you need something, and I'll call you if I need something. Be a part of my network and I'm willing to be a part of yours, but don't bother me too much. It sounds horrible. I care about people more than that, but you see my point. Compared to your INTP "little brothers", you have the "people" part of life so easy.

The ENTPs I know tend to be very gregarious and so need to be around other people, but they tend not to be great at relating to others on terms other than their own. They're good at making friends because people interest them, but that's not the same thing as being interested in those people being their friends. As a fellow ENP, I know how it can sometimes come as a bit of a surprise when you're just doing what comes naturally in the moment, then every once in a while, whoosh, out of nowhere someone will unload an emotional baggage on you. You're left thinking "whoah, how the fuck did that happen?"

To most people in general, friendship carries with it responsibility, and the flip side of easily being able to make friends is that you have to be adept at handling that responsibility. I think that's something that ENTPs find a struggle, and I think it's the reason why a lot of ENTPs will protest that they're not really people people. It's not that they're cold and heartless and that they don't take their responsibility seriously, it's just that it's something they find difficult.

Conversely, from my own experience of dealing with one ENTP in particular - my father - I've also found that when they do feel a strong emotion and affection for someone, they struggle to express it on terms other than their own. To avoid derailing this thread by delving into a set of complex personal issues, which in any case are rather boring, I'll give just one rather petty and superficial example. I absolutely hate it when my father puts his arm around me in public (fortunately he doesn't do it in private). Every time he does this I tense up and start slowly physically distancing myself from him so that he'll withdraw the arm. It should be obvious from my actions that I don't like it, yet he keeps doing it. It bugs the hell out of me.

Okay, on it's own that's is a pretty trivial example, and given that he's clearly unable to take the hint, part of the problem lies with me for not simply telling him to stop it. But the larger point is that in any kind of relationship people are going to carry with them certain needs, and as long as you can't decipher what the other person's needs are, you are going to end up running into a brick wall. For all their gregariousness, I think ENTPs probably spend more time running into walls than most.

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

What is the correct answer to:

What tastes better: Apples or Oranges?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
@bighairything: very insightful.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

That depends on the task. Some tasks I need to get right the first time and some I expect trial and error will be involved. In the latter case I expect I will mess up a lot so I don't feel bad. I do feel bad in the former case.

Also I don't like to make a HUGE mistake if I'm putting a lot into displaying something publically. I want to look excellent, but I don't necessarily care if I look perfect. For example when I perform on stage I want people to really be entertained, and if I accomplish that then it doesn't matter if I dropped a line or did some other mistake. And when I was teaching math I wanted the students to be confident that I knew what I was talking about even if I did sometimes make simple arithmetic mistakes when I was working sample problems on the board. The simple mistakes didn't bother me at all, but being prepared was very important.

So I guess it depends on the situation and what you mean by messing up.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Nonsense! People value me. That's why they never we never go past small talk.

Hahaha!

On messing up:

It happens. Little slips are alright. Major slips can be unsettling. But ultimately, what matters most is learning from the experience and bouncing right back. :yes:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Not meant as an insult whatsoever, seeing as I'm a sarcastic SOB at times, but where do you think the level of sarcasm we generate comes from? And let the sarcasm... begin!

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
How can you tell if someone is lying to you about going on a roadtrip by themselves?

(my guess would be to ask detailed questions, when they get back about their trip) any other ideas. Be serious, or f@ing laugh in my face mock me, and don't take this question seriously... thanks ENTP's.

I figured I would ask the essential question of how to sus out a lie... cause you guys are so good at it...