• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Cartesian Theater

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w1
Describe to the me the process in which most ENTP's solve problems.

1. Little elves that live in our brains dig up every weird little bit of information vaguely related to the question (where are my keys= the key to happiness, keyhole, car, Keisha, shiny, bird nest, tweeting, tree)
2. A lightbulb appears over whatever random information seems to be the correct answer (I swear, I honestly don't know how this works)
3. We wing it with as little information as possible, assuming that to be the correct answer
4. If it's not, we go back and look for more information either via the internet or by repeating step 1.

For more complex problems like creating a new logo or resolving a social conflict, we're likely to be more thorough and even do some research, because we hate to look stupid in front of people. But yeah, that's basically it...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hmmm...I think of what makes the most sense and then fine-tune it to best fit the situation? This is a tough question to answer.

Thanks for trying at least.

1. Little elves that live in our brains dig up every weird little bit of information vaguely related to the question (where are my keys= the key to happiness, keyhole, car, Keisha, shiny, bird nest, tweeting, tree)
2. A lightbulb appears over whatever random information seems to be the correct answer (I swear, I honestly don't know how this works)
3. We wing it with as little information as possible, assuming that to be the correct answer
4. If it's not, we go back and look for more information either via the internet or by repeating step 1.

For more complex problems like creating a new logo or resolving a social conflict, we're likely to be more thorough and even do some research, because we hate to look stupid in front of people. But yeah, that's basically it...

I related to everything you just said. However, I thought "winging things" with as little information as possible was using Te? I thought Te users were the ones who made quick decisions? I was under the understanding that Ti just analyzed the hell out of everything first?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=16104]Cartesian Theater[/MENTION]

So you say that most ENTP's hate to look stupid? Would any of you ever hold your tongue in an argument where you thought you were correct, but were not 100% sure that you were correct in order to not look like a dumbass just in case? I do this all the time. After all, I love to win arguments, but the feeling of looking like a dumbass at the end is unbearable.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is what I love about ENTP's. They might seem utterly random at times with all that Ne that even baffles me, but they sure know when to shut it, if it goes too far.

Something I should learn from.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
my strategy is to always look stupid that way nobody thinks you are dangerous. (at least thats what ive been telling to myself) :D

problem solving is easy. just give the problem slightly modified to all your work colleagues. theyll be occupied all day. in the meantime you have the time to practically solve the real problem quick and painless. later on you apologize to your colleagues saying that you by accident described the problem wrongly :)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
my strategy is to always look stupid that way nobody thinks you are dangerous. (at least thats what ive been telling to myself) :D

problem solving is easy. just give the problem slightly modified to all your work colleagues. theyll be occupied all day. in the meantime you have the time to practically solve the real problem quick and painless. later on you apologize to your colleagues saying that you by accident described the problem wrongly :)

I can kind of agree with this. I rarely ever like to have a problem of mine, that effects me in my everyday life completely handled by others. I don't trust them to handle it, and for some reason I always think that I could do a better job.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
nah i have learnt that its no trust issue. the problem is most people are too occupied with unimportant things like making lists or sucking up to the boss or their ego. think me and my female estj boss are the only ones in my company who take on responsibility for our own. sadly that way we Wong ever get up the ranks

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
So you say that most ENTP's hate to look stupid? Would any of you ever hold your tongue in an argument where you thought you were correct, but were not 100% sure that you were correct in order to not look like a dumbass just in case? I do this all the time. After all, I love to win arguments, but the feeling of looking like a dumbass at the end is unbearable.

Ahaha...I wish. :laugh: I like to enter into debates/arguments/discussion regardless if I have enough data to support my position. But I've learned to have a consistently joking demeanor so even when I end up looking like a dumbass in the end I can just laugh it off like "I was just kidding with you the whole time!" It works surprisingly well, IRL. Online, not so much. :ninja:

But that's what makes online discussions so great. You can't hind behind your personality as much. You really gotta have your thoughts together and your shit contained. I think it's good for ENTPs since we can get caught up in trying to win arguments with our charm or pure randomness and completely neglect the importance of Ti's rigor and analysis.

Cartesian Theater

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w1
Thanks for trying at least.

I related to everything you just said. However, I thought "winging things" with as little information as possible was using Te? I thought Te users were the ones who made quick decisions? I was under the understanding that Ti just analyzed the hell out of everything first?

No, absolutely not! xD Te users hate winging it; they have to be completely accurate about everything. Te gathers information externally, which means that it needs external conformation of a fact (ie. research). Ti analyzes the hell out of things, yes, but in an internal way (meaning you think about things a lot, but don't necessarily fact check or wait for confirmation before trying something).

I would do that sometimes, yes. I often used to just say whatever I wanted in an argument, because usually I say it so convincingly that nobody question whether I'm right lol. But I've finally met someone who calls me out on my bullshit every single time, so I hold my tongue a lot more now in case somebody calls me out.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
nah i have learnt that its no trust issue. the problem is most people are too occupied with unimportant things like making lists or sucking up to the boss or their ego. think me and my female estj boss are the only ones in my company who take on responsibility for our own. sadly that way we Wong ever get up the ranks

I find trust to be a big issue for me, because I rarely think that people are competent enough to do a job as well as I would do it.

Ahaha...I wish. :laugh: I like to enter into debates/arguments/discussion regardless if I have enough data to support my position. But I've learned to have a consistently joking demeanor so even when I end up looking like a dumbass in the end I can just laugh it off like "I was just kidding with you the whole time!" It works surprisingly well, IRL. Online, not so much. :ninja:

But that's what makes online discussions so great. You can't hind behind your personality as much. You really gotta have your thoughts together and your shit contained. I think it's good for ENTPs since we can get caught up in trying to win arguments with our charm or pure randomness and completely neglect the importance of Ti's rigor and analysis.

Yeah. I've tried this method before but it hasn't worked that well because often I come out looking like a dumbass, with my tail between my legs.

No, absolutely not! xD Te users hate winging it; they have to be completely accurate about everything. Te gathers information externally, which means that it needs external conformation of a fact (ie. research). Ti analyzes the hell out of things, yes, but in an internal way (meaning you think about things a lot, but don't necessarily fact check or wait for confirmation before trying something).

I would do that sometimes, yes. I often used to just say whatever I wanted in an argument, because usually I say it so convincingly that nobody question whether I'm right lol. But I've finally met someone who calls me out on my bullshit every single time, so I hold my tongue a lot more now in case somebody calls me out.

I wouldn't think that TJ's would want to wing something, but what about the ENFP with strong Te? It seems like they would be very likely to wing something. And as for you comment about needing some type of external conformation, doesn't Ne need that as well? Isn't it a classic move for Ne doms to feel the need to bounce ideas off of each other?

As for your other comment, so you just say things so convincingly that no one would question your ideas? I find this entertaining, I'm usually the asshole that goes behind people such as yourself, gets on the internet, looks at the facts, and says, "Look, this highly accredited institution's research says this or that" and would make people like you look like a fool. I'm not trying to insult you though, so please don't take offense to this. I'm just telling you what I usually do, lol

Cartesian Theater

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w1
I wouldn't think that TJ's would want to wing something, but what about the ENFP with strong Te? It seems like they would be very likely to wing something. And as for you comment about needing some type of external conformation, doesn't Ne need that as well? Isn't it a classic move for Ne doms to feel the need to bounce ideas off of each other?

As for your other comment, so you just say things so convincingly that no one would question your ideas? I find this entertaining, I'm usually the asshole that goes behind people such as yourself, gets on the internet, looks at the facts, and says, "Look, this highly accredited institution's research says this or that" and would make people like you look like a fool. I'm not trying to insult you though, so please don't take offense to this. I'm just telling you what I usually do, lol

We don't normally call people "Te users" if Te is their tertiary function. I mean, if you want to get specific, half of the types are "Te users" in that they use Te as one of their four functions. I was just referring to types with either primary or secondary Te.

And yes, Ne does seek external confirmation by bouncing ideas. That is why it, like Te, is an extroverted function. External confirmation is the definition of what makes something an extroverted function, so once again, half of all functions do seek external confirmation when used as a primary function. What distinguishes Te from the others is that it seeks external confirmation of factual evidence, or "truth", rather than ideas, experiences, feelings, etc.

I typically don't make things up unless it's important to the situation (ex. No sir, we do not have that kind of paper. Why? Because it's only sold in special locations.) I don't go around randomly making up things for the hell of it, because obviously people would eventually notice and point out my error. It's just something I'm good at. It is possible to be good at something due to your personality, and choose not to do it 24-7.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
We don't normally call people "Te users" if Te is their tertiary function. I mean, if you want to get specific, half of the types are "Te users" in that they use Te as one of their four functions. I was just referring to types with either primary or secondary Te.

And yes, Ne does seek external confirmation by bouncing ideas. That is why it, like Te, is an extroverted function. External confirmation is the definition of what makes something an extroverted function, so once again, half of all functions do seek external confirmation when used as a primary function. What distinguishes Te from the others is that it seeks external confirmation of factual evidence, or "truth", rather than ideas, experiences, feelings, etc.

I typically don't make things up unless it's important to the situation (ex. No sir, we do not have that kind of paper. Why? Because it's only sold in special locations.) I don't go around randomly making up things for the hell of it, because obviously people would eventually notice and point out my error. It's just something I'm good at. It is possible to be good at something due to your personality, and choose not to do it 24-7.

lol, yeah I'm good at coming up with bullshit out of nowhere as well.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ask an ENTP (NFJs are welcome to mediate/advise)

Alright you crazy batshit people. I could not find an 'ask an entp' thread, so I figure Id gift you one and make you step up :alttongue:

And I figure that under the watchful eye of some NFJs you peeps would at least behave...somewhat :ninja:

So tell me if I got this right:

You guys actually like it when someone keeps you at a distance? Watches you with hawk eyes (but still engages you, though with a ten foot pole at the very least)

..and is this preferable at first, before you get to know the person?

And for that matter, do you even enjoy that someone looks at you with a certain amount of...distrust at first?

Lastly, is this how you yourself deal with new people you meet?

What is with enjoying the animosity that goes on and is that what your bantering is based on and what you relish?

A confused NFP would like to know already :ninja:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
every thread is an "ask an ENTP" thread, because ENTPs will tell you whether you wanted to know or not.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
every thread is an "ask an ENTP" thread, because ENTPs will tell you whether you wanted to know or not.

:D True tat. I figured Id give them an excuse for once :alttongue:

Permabanned
Alright you crazy batshit people. I could not find an 'ask an entp' thread, so I figure Id gift you one and make you step up :alttongue:
And I figure that under the watchful eye of some NFJs you peeps would at least behave...somewhat :ninja:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/24721-ask-entp.html :dry:

So tell me if I got this right:

You guys actually like it when someone keeps you at a distance? Watches you with hawk eyes (but still engages you, though with a ten foot pole at the very least)
No.
..and is this preferable at first, before you get to know the person?
No.
And for that matter, do you even enjoy that someone looks at you with a certain amount of...distrust at first?
No.
Lastly, is this how you yourself deal with new people you meet?
Can be depending on the vibe they give off.
What is with enjoying the animosity that goes on and is that what your bantering is based on and what you relish?
Irrelevant projection, no and no.
A confused NFP would like to know already :ninja:
Oxymoron.
:coffee:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well that was productive.

Oh well, I tried.

Also, the search function isnt working properly then, coz I did look if there was another one and it said it had no results.

*goes back to the drawing board*