• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Are ENTPs the most likely type to cheat?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
This has absolutely nothing to do with types. As types are preferences, not definitions.

Again, this goes to show that we take MBTI way too seriously.

(I'm not blaming you, the placesyoullgo, I'm just stating an observation to lead back to my position of MBTI)

You are clearly just deadset on pinpointing circumstances in which MBTI is "taken too seriously." Nobody in this thread has said, "XXXXs are always cheaters, you are an XXXX, therefore you will cheat." However, types have certain values, and threads like these are made to discuss how these values are manifested in the real world. The whole point of MBTI and typology as a whole is to categorize. I think most people who have any experience with MBTI realize the shortfalls in its applicability, but that's not going to stop them from discussing its theoretical applicability.

You can ask, "Which of the 8 functions and/or combinations of the 8 functions could cause a desire to cheat?" and use the answer to that question to discern a type that is more likely to cheat.

So long as you don't say "All ESxPs will cheat because of their dominant, impulsive Se, and you are an ESxP, therefore you will cheat.", then there's nothing wrong with trying to apply MBTI to certain tendencies and behavioural patterns. MBTI is not an inarguable end-all-be-all, but it is certainly a method of making fairly accurate generalizations. As long as you are open to changing your generalizations based on discrepancies in individual cases, then MBTI can be applied to lots of stuff.

Actually I would bet a pretty significant amount of money that ESTPs cheat more often than, say, ISFJs on average.

You're going to do a statistical survey and then tweak the results to your liking, right? Hell, you might even hypnotize some of the survey participants to get them to answer in a desirable way. You're an ENTP, so you will certainly cheat to come out a winnar :devil:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're going to do a statistical survey and then tweak the results to your liking, right? Hell, you might even hypnotize some of the survey participants to get them to answer in a desirable way. You're an ENTP, so you will certainly cheat to come out a winnar :devil:

Haha no, I don't actually care enough about proving this point to do any legitimate research on it. I'd much rather just keep cheating at Scrabble. :laugh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
"Doesnt cheating include being in a relationship ? If you'll start defining it that precisely you'll loose credibility "

no it doesn't.... is the OP about cheating on tests, on paying tax, on games or is it more ment to deal with relationships...

Personally I'd think cheat in one area and you may be prone in others...

Keirsey thought NT's cheated on relationships less.

ok

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Actually I would bet a pretty significant amount of money that ESTPs cheat more often than, say, ISFJs on average.

That doesn't mean there aren't loyal ESTPs and cheating ISFJs, but it's kind of silly to imply that absolutely no pattern exists here. If we could tally up all the ESTPs and ISFJs on the planet, it seems highly probable that the ESTPs would contain more cheaters--and it's incredibly unlikely from a probability standpoint that the numbers would come out exactly the same.

So no, this really doesn't say anything about taking type too seriously.

Those are statistics. What we're doing here is trying to figure out why ENTPs would be more likely to cheat (if they really are)..and that is a failed attempt from the start, because you can't find answers in type descriptions, as the descriptions are preference based and are extremely general.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You are clearly just deadset on pinpointing circumstances in which MBTI is "taken too seriously." Nobody in this thread has said, "XXXXs are always cheaters, you are an XXXX, therefore you will cheat." However, types have certain values, and threads like these are made to discuss how these values are manifested in the real world. The whole point of MBTI and typology as a whole is to categorize. I think most people who have any experience with MBTI realize the shortfalls in its applicability, but that's not going to stop them from discussing its theoretical applicability.

You can ask, "Which of the 8 functions and/or combinations of the 8 functions could cause a desire to cheat?" and use the answer to that question to discern a type that is more likely to cheat.

So long as you don't say "All ESxPs will cheat because of their dominant, impulsive Se, and you are an ESxP, therefore you will cheat.", then there's nothing wrong with trying to apply MBTI to certain tendencies and behavioural patterns. MBTI is not an inarguable end-all-be-all, but it is certainly a method of making fairly accurate generalizations. As long as you are open to changing your generalizations based on discrepancies in individual cases, then MBTI can be applied to lots of stuff.

Ok, you are absolutely right.

Let's continue to blow MBTI way out of proportion. It's fun, isn't it?

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I haven't read the entire thread but i think it depends on your definition of cheating.

cheating is clear when both parties in the relationship have "the talk" and establish that from there on the relationship is going to be exclusive. of course any type can cheat, but for me cheating in this situations is just more trouble than it's worth. obviously i thought the guy was sexy/interesting/fun/intelligent/attractive enough to agree to be somewhat shackled to him, so why would i risk that for some side piece who probably isn't that interesting? Plus I usually have tons of things going on in my life and I can't see adding leading a double life to the mix.

cheating is not so clear when "the talk" hasn't been done and there is an assumption by one-party that the relationship is exclusive.

with that said, i'm very likely to be guilty of inadvertently cheating but i think that's because most guys take it for granted that most women date one man at a time.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ah, I see.

Then, yes, definitely the most likely.

They have trick or treats 365 days of the year, in their pants. :woot:

(there must be some cheating involved to get all those candies into one's pants...think about it)

If I knock on your door and say, "trick or treat!" will I get any candy? :p

realmsghzx

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ENTP
In my case, I would say yes. I've cheated on every girl I've ever been in a closed relationship with, so I put it on the table in every relationship now. I'm supposed to not have sex for 3 weeks while I'm on vacation? What?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Can't speak for everyone, but I myself at least... yes and no.

I don't like the idea of winning by cheating; I want to win by merit.

However... I fully go through rules to understand them, how they interact, and their implications. If yeu know the rules, yeu can use them to yeur advantage. If yeu know why they exist, yeu can bend them and break them depending on the purpose. Maintaining the spirit of the law is more important than the letter, in my opinion.

As such, I will break every rule, cheat at every situation, and tred on tradition, if there's reason for me to do so. I'm also very good at convincing myself there's reason to do so...

However, I have a very strict sense of morals and personal beliefs on accomplishment; winning a game by cheating provides no satisfaction, the harder it is, the more effort I put into it to get that sense of accomplishment. To cheat is to give up and effectively have failed.

As such, if I'm in say... I've been playing league of legends alot lately since it came out as an example, it's a 5v5 game... if one team's down a player or it's heavily lopsided of a fight... it's boring. I'd rather loose a close match than win a freebie. "yay I got a win!" ...Who cares? it's not about winning, it's about the gameplay itself. Killing someone who was a rough fight because yeu outplayed them is a wonderful thing. Killing someone who is too stupid to run away when they're almost dead is just... lacking.

Hence though, I may be likely to cheat, but I may also be the least likely to cheat as well. It depends on the circumstances, really.

Other ENTP's may or may not have the same dealie going on, as they may not have those same guidelines. So I can't speak for any other.

realmsghzx

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ENTP
Can't speak for everyone, but I myself at least... yes and no.

I don't like the idea of winning by cheating; I want to win by merit.

However... I fully go through rules to understand them, how they interact, and their implications. If yeu know the rules, yeu can use them to yeur advantage. If yeu know why they exist, yeu can bend them and break them depending on the purpose. Maintaining the spirit of the law is more important than the letter, in my opinion.

As such, I will break every rule, cheat at every situation, and tred on tradition, if there's reason for me to do so. I'm also very good at convincing myself there's reason to do so...

However, I have a very strict sense of morals and personal beliefs on accomplishment; winning a game by cheating provides no satisfaction, the harder it is, the more effort I put into it to get that sense of accomplishment. To cheat is to give up and effectively have failed.

As such, if I'm in say... I've been playing league of legends alot lately since it came out as an example, it's a 5v5 game... if one team's down a player or it's heavily lopsided of a fight... it's boring. I'd rather loose a close match than win a freebie. "yay I got a win!" ...Who cares? it's not about winning, it's about the gameplay itself. Killing someone who was a rough fight because yeu outplayed them is a wonderful thing. Killing someone who is too stupid to run away when they're almost dead is just... lacking.

Hence though, I may be likely to cheat, but I may also be the least likely to cheat as well. It depends on the circumstances, really.

Other ENTP's may or may not have the same dealie going on, as they may not have those same guidelines. So I can't speak for any other.

I'd have to agree with all of this. If the situation doesn't affect any outside variables...such as a scrabble game, or a video game, then I will NOT cheat. I don't use cheat codes in video games. I use every rule available to win, though.

If the game has infinite rules and nonrules, and infinitely affected variables, such as the game we live in call "life," however, I will cheat in every single situation. Is no one going to catch me, am I going to gain from this, and am I not going to hurt someone directly in the process? (Or, can I easily compartmentalize the damage I could possibly doing?) I'll do it.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
In my case, I would say yes. I've cheated on every girl I've ever been in a closed relationship with, so I put it on the table in every relationship now. I'm supposed to not have sex for 3 weeks while I'm on vacation? What?

Sounds like a good decision. It frees them to make an informed choice about their level of involvement.

Fecal McAngry

No, based on their own typological metabolism--as an NT with muted Si ENTPs aren't drawn to cheating as, say, an ISTP may be, and also, as a consequence of such, ENTPs are rarely the types other people want to casually sleep with--unkempt, obese slobs who think arguing about the latest Drudge Report is foreplay:nono:

The ENTP wiminfolk are somewhat better the men. Thank Gawd.

Exhibit A--ENTP male displaying his typically yellow, rotting teeth:

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Depends on the person. Fe -> one's values are "absorbed" from environment. If an ENTP were to grow up in an environment when cheating was OK or at least plausible, the ENTP would cheat, and be good at it (we're such ninjas).

Then again this is true for all Fe types. Hence, your argument is ridiculous.

Personally? Yeah, I cheat at some things sometimes... I agree with the last few posts

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Depends on the person. Fe -> one's values are "absorbed" from environment. If an ENTP were to grow up in an environment when cheating was OK or at least plausible, the ENTP would cheat, and be good at it (we're such ninjas).

Then again this is true for all Fe types. Hence, your argument is ridiculous.

*Ninj's like a pro baby!*

(bonus points if yeu catch the reference ^^ )

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It's not a type thing at all.
But I would never dream of cheating on somebody.. it just isn't right.
If I feel that the person I'm with isn't right for me that I'd go cheat on her.. I'd say it's probably time that I break up with her.
It's the tough thing to do.. but needs to be done.
In that case, I'd argue that Feelers and Perceivers are more likely to cheat than Thinkers and Judgers.. since the latter will have the easier time breaking up with somebody who isn't right for them.

But when you take "cheating" out of the relationship context.. then yes, we ENTP's are the best at cheating, :D