• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP's sleeping needs...

lazyhappy

i love my sleep, i sleep both after school and at night... don't judge meh XD... its a bit much i admit and people get mad at me often for it... but sleeping is important to me. If i dont get more then 7 hours, i feel "drunk" and think only about my needed hours of sleep. i dunno about every intp but weird sleeping habits definitley are a thing of this one...

i remember once trying to be a insomniac in like 7th grade... but i failed and i fell asleep on the school bench at lunch... ALex needs her sleep!

Last edited:

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
My INTP husband goes to bed at 1:00 AM, gets up at 7:00 AM. On the weekends, he gets up at 7:00 AM, takes a short nap at 10:30 or 11:00 AM, does some stuff, takes another short nap at 3:30 or 4:00. Goes to bed at 1:00 AM. If anyone asks how he is, the first thing he says is Tired.

If he goes to bed before 1:00 AM, he just wakes up early, like 4:00 or 5:00. He can't sleep longer than six hours at a time, but he craves his naps. Also can't sleep past 7:00 AM unless he's really worn out.

Our INTP son who's almost 19, stays up till 4:00 AM (without caffeine), then sleeps until 10:00 AM. Looks like he's got a six-hour pattern going, too.

Jae Rae

G

GirlAmerica

A minimum of 8 or I am exhausted. On the weekends I can easily do 10-12.

I stayed a good kid because of my sleep requirements. In my later teenage years when I was allowed to stay out past midnight etc...I still chose to skip most of the socializing for reading in bed, lights out by 10:30.

If I am dealing with heavy emotional things.....as soon as the event/talk etc is over...I feel the need to sleep...like someone drugged me.
Right now my best friend is very, very sick and may not make it through the cancer that just recurred and I am in the midst of separating and divorcing. I feel like I want to sleep 24 hours a day....

Strong emotion is a tranquilizer to me.

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
Okay, my dear INTP boyfriend needs his sleep. If he doesn't, he gets in a most desperate state. :sleeping:

I'm blaming his desperate need for sleep on his constant thinking abilities. :thinking: His extreme thinking zaps the energy right out of him. :coffee:

My youngest son (20), also a dear INTP, can sleep 12+ hours if I let him. I can blame it on his being on a computer 12+ hours a day, though (playing online strategy games). :doh:

Thankfully, I do like to sleep, but I don't need it... not like they do.

Any other INTPs out there that experiences this to this extreme?

My husbands sleeping is much like davinci's was.... he can get only a couple of hours a night and be fine... not to mention never feels guilty about sleeping all day or anything as silly as that :D. This is my theory on his sleeping: If he is awake he is in some sort of a laboratory figuring something out. (How things work, what makes them tick, and what if...) if he is not in a laboratory, then he is asleep. Extremely endearing, and almost inevitably annoying trait.

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
I know not to expect to hear from my INTP boyfriend until 3 or 4 in the afternoon on weekends. If I hear from him earlier than that, I am absolutely shocked. And usually so is he, lol. He doesn't get very much sleep during the week. He's a night owl with a job that requires early mornings. *shrug* He can often be found taking naps. It's endearing up to a point. If he hasn't gotten the sleep he wants/needs, he can be evil, evil, evil.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The problem is not that I sleep too long it's that the days aren't damn well long enough. I could go about 36 hours in between sleeping periods (ideally) and then sleep say 10-12 hours. As it is I'm stuck on some stupid traditional clock that's based on something daft like levels of light (like we don't have light bulbs :rolleyes: ) and as such I keep going on about 6 hours or so through the week and more like 8 at the weekend with it going to 10 hours on some weekends.

I'm about the best choice for night work. I always wake up when it gets dark.

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
This sounds like my Micheal talking. P.S. I love Equilibrium.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
The problem is not that I sleep too long it's that the days aren't damn well long enough. I could go about 36 hours in between sleeping periods (ideally) and then sleep say 10-12 hours. As it is I'm stuck on some stupid traditional clock that's based on something daft like levels of light (like we don't have light bulbs :rolleyes: ) and as such I keep going on about 6 hours or so through the week and more like 8 at the weekend with it going to 10 hours on some weekends.

I'm about the best choice for night work. I always wake up when it gets dark.
That sounds like what I do...of course, now, my nocturnal habits are beginning to catch up with me, since I have to be up early every morning. :sleeping:

Cyber

MBTI Type
Dork
Sleep

Sleep is hard to get some days. It takes awhile to make my mind stop processing and thinking. My gift of analysis and constant thought stream not only wears me down but it is also the reason I can not sleep. Though if sleep does come I will sleep until exactly one minute before my alarm goes off. Though I am more tired if I turn it off and go back to sleep than if I get up at that point.

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
I plan on not sleeping tonight since I've procrastinated on my essay (due tomorrow) and need to study for a final at 8:30am. As soon as this week is over I will hibernate until opening presents Christmas morning.

ygolo

My termites win
This may have been better suited for the "insomnia" thread, but I have it again. Oh well, I will sleep on the plane tommorow, and crash again if I need to.

doob

MBTI Type
xNTp
optimal - six hours with a 1/2 hour nap after lunch. A little longer during the winter months with no nap (I usually nap in the car).

heart

heart on fire
Okay, my dear INTP boyfriend needs his sleep. If he doesn't, he gets in a most desperate state. :sleeping:

I'm blaming his desperate need for sleep on his constant thinking abilities. :thinking: His extreme thinking zaps the energy right out of him. :coffee:

My youngest son (20), also a dear INTP, can sleep 12+ hours if I let him. I can blame it on his being on a computer 12+ hours a day, though (playing online strategy games). :doh:

Thankfully, I do like to sleep, but I don't need it... not like they do.

Any other INTPs out there that experiences this to this extreme?

I am INFP but I have always needed a LOT of sleep or I feel fuzzy headed and awful. I cannot function on less than eight and do much better on ten. It would be very nice to be one of these people who can regularly get by on five to six hours. Think of all the reading and stuff one could get done!

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I used to have a problem keeping my sleeping set in one place. I would just keeping staying up later and sleeping later, and it would keep going around the clock. Yes, this created problems with school and work. Recently I found this wonderful supplement called melatonin, and now I have things under control for the most part. I tend to sleep between 12 and 8, except sometimes I wake up too early and can't get back to sleep.

Turbinado

MBTI Type
INTP
Funny. I do sleep a lot but not nearly as much as my sister (ISFJ I think?). She stays up until 4 most of the time, though, so when she gets up at 12 I guess it's really not that much. Undisturbed I average 10 hours.