• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Differences in ENTP and ENTJ sense of humor

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with most that ENTJs are sarcastic while ENTPs are goofy.
Define goofy. Or gimme some examples... whatever.

INTJs who frequent here are sarcastic but also kinda goofy, while INTPs seem to be rather dry and it's difficult to tell whether or not they're joking.
Dry humor is tremendous. Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg (both INTPs) ftw. In my daily humor (and the one stand up gig I did) I try to incorporate a good deal of that kind of thing too.

Or were you talking about something else?
N types in general tend to be better at and more appreciative of wordplay and taking words out of their intended meaning.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Define goofy. Or gimme some examples... whatever.

ENTPs tend to be the comedians who make a mockery out of everything, including taboo subjects. South Park rings a bell (Trey Parker is an ENTP, although Matt Stone is more likely an INTP), and the brains behind Hogan's Heroes were also likely ENTPs. Mel Brooks and the trio behind the first Airplane! movie and The Naked Gun series are also likely ENTPs.

Dry humor is tremendous. Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg (both INTPs) ftw.

And Ben Stein.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs tend to be the comedians who make a mockery out of everything, including taboo subjects. South Park rings a bell (Trey Parker is an ENTP, although Matt Stone is more likely an INTP), and the brains behind Hogan's Heroes were also likely ENTPs. Mel Brooks and the trio behind the first Airplane! movie and The Naked Gun series are also likely ENTPs.
True enough. The only one I'd not agree with is the naked gun, and that's only because I've not seen it, not 'cause I think you're wrong.

And Ben Stein.
True, but that monotonous INTP college proffessor-esque thing was an act right? He might not have actually acted that way IRL. I kind of doubt that he would keep it up if it weren't his normal MO but I dunno.. I'm not one of his kids or anything.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
True, but that monotonous INTP college proffessor-esque thing was an act right? He might not have actually acted that way IRL. I kind of doubt that he would keep it up if it weren't his normal MO but I dunno.. I'm not one of his kids or anything.

He seemed very natural on his old show, Win Ben Stein's Money. Natural enough to type him? Probably not. IxTx. :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, Ben Stein was a lawyer and law professor before he became a comedian. So his INTP preference is quite possible.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of people don't understand my humour. This is because it's often quite wry, and I'm surrounded by people who aren't up to date on the topic. It could just be because I'm genuinely not funny. But I'm more inclined to believe it's the former, arrogant as I am.

tramnineteen

MBTI Type
eNxp
I think people are making allot of general statements about the sense of humor of the two types that are not necessarily getting at the root or causal difference.

I have an extremely broad sense of humor. I like jokes that catch you off guard. I think that is the common thread. I moment I can guess the punch-line or what is going to happen before it does I could care less.

My jokes are also pretty diverse is topic but they do share some common thread. They are usually something clever but simple. I am also unhesitating to make fun of myself for the sake of laughs. I don't think the entj would share that. Their jokes seem to be more closely tied to their opinions. I will make fun of myself, my own state, school, country. My jokes may poke fun, but my view is that if we cannot poke fun at ourselves, then we don't have a healthy humility.

I know much less about the entj sense of humor, however I would postulate that their humor is:

less self-mocking
more closely tied to their opinions
less broad
more serious
less random

p.s. i forgot to add that my sense of humor is often called very random.

disclaimer: I don't have a good handle on the inter-workings of my sense of humor yet, so this was just my impressions.

Lindaxo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
These factors that differentiate ENTP's and ENTJ's sense of humor are DEAD ON. I am not kidding. I am going to have to switch up what tramnineteen said though, because from what I've seen ENTP's aren't very random, they tend to make jokes based on the subject at hand, whereas I am very random in my humor and usually just throw it out there whenever it pops into my head.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
NTJs are really random, and find the most ridiculous things hilarious. We tend to start random conversation and build upon it in random ways; at times, this can lead to a semi-snooty session of witty banter. It’s kind of pathetic, but I can always make myself laugh with a random trains of thought. Every successfully random person I know is an NTJ and we always find each other amusing. I have a lot of inside jokes with the others I know. I guess it’s a kind of club. . .

We can also be dead-pan and sarcastic. But we are mainly random. Yes. Random. Always.

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm funny in a sarcastic and ironic sense... funny but true type of funny.

ENTPs are just naturally funny.

ENTJ's make weird jokes that involve killing and stabbing and such... really cynical and macabre and most people go 'okay :huh:'
But there's this NPish humour in the ENTJ (true for me, anywhooo) that is just: FLAKY!
There, I said it: flaky.:D

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
See i like my INTP sense of humor but i would. Its like ENTP more unexpected and one liney!

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
See i like my INTP sense of humor but i would. Its like ENTP more unexpected and one liney!

Yeah, INTP's generally don't have the mental processing power to go any further. :yes:

I have a friend that's an ENTJ, and he's the only person I don't have to tone my humor down for to be 'politically correct.'

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I find that I have very detailed conversations about taking over the world with other ENTJs. They are glorious plots :D

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I find that I have very detailed conversations about taking over the world with other ENTJs. They are glorious plots :D
You got to let me in on one of those. Every taking over the world plot needs its own mad scientist :D