• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The nature of NTP sarcasm.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Does anyone here think that the accusation with regard to NTP sarcasm is a tad exaggerated, at least online?

In reality, I hardly use it unless I'm heavily pissed off, which doesn't happen that much.

The thing is, NTP sarcasm can be so brutal (in a real life interaction), that anyone who gets hit by it may end up hating the NTP person for an extended period of time, the NTP person may actually use it quite rarely.

I actually have a near 100% pissing-off batting average with this. The only archetype that doesn't get pissed off (or at least try not to look annoyed) is an ENTJ.

Here's a story.

There was a a high-school reunion a few days back. There was guy A (ESxx), girl A (ESFP), and me (xNTP). Both of us guys has a crush on girl A. Guy A tries to make himself look good on girl A by ridiculing me, accusing of having a certain degree of fondness towards girl A (plus the usual geeky NTP accusations), when in fact, he likes girl A himself.

The strategy there was to make himself look good my making me lose my poise, while making him the witty guy.

Which is kinda silly since the ESFP girl is hardly interested with anyone of us. The ESxx guy isn't spectacularly interesting anyway (geeky without the intellect aspect; scrawny and short as a midget).

I thought it was kinda silly to pseudo-argue over a girl.

I was already tipsy, and the ridiculing continues, already losing my cool. And then I said...

"Don't make yourself look good at my expense."

(I hate being ridiculed when I don't have 100% awareness of what's going around).

Guy didn't immediately picked up the message, but the atmosphere got silent later. That was my first time getting mad while tipsy. I don't usually get drunk.

The following day, having full awareness of what happened, I posted a "cryptic" facebook shoutout:

"The moment you ever piss me off again, your girlfriend is just a phone call away."

Translation: I just tell the f*ck what you're doing with the (ESFP) girl

The ESxx guy hasn't got good stints in relationship himself. He has a good girlfriend now (a 1 year relationship. The gf is well acquainted with me), and I tested if I can rattle him with the statement.

Piss me off again, and there's me saying Hello to his girlfriend.

He can probably do something similar. Tell my girlfriend that I have a fondness towards the girl but it's a more solid one than his (5 years), and it's less believable that I hound other women. NTPs don't generate that much girl hounding impression.

Guy got sooooo pissed off with that one sentence shoutout.

And the statement got added to my list of my idea of 'light' sarcasm that makes me become hated, for life. I probably shouldn't have 'tested the waters'.

To wrap things up:

*NTPs usually use their sarcasm to:
1. Make ENTJs lose their poise. They're the most challenging since they're the ones who're most conscious about it.
2. Flirt with NFJs and control them with that before they use their charm. Though their charms still beats the NTP sarcasm.

*will probably tolerate the controlling nature of an SJ, until it gets overboard, and then an NTP goes ballistic, pwning them with just one statement.

*but hardly does spontaneous sarcasm in real life (unless has very very weak F).

can any NTP here relate to this?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Errm... I tend to find sarcasm as a useful method of dealing with the world. I'd be bored if I were deprived of it for too long. So many things need saying in such formulaic manner that with a touch of sarcasm, like fine spices, suddenly take on new heights of interest.

Sarcasm is used for mild correction, for encouragement and for evasion. I did actually use it once and get the girl but I think that was more because I was the only one present not fawning as much as any inherent wit, especially as the female in question was the target for my derision.

One note.... sarcasm.... tends not to cheer up many NFs... works fabulously on SFs and STs though... except SJs... :(

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sarcasm is a great tool to make others look like idiots. You can use it to make someone pissed off so that others people in the group dont have eny idea why he reacted that strongly and he will look like idiot who gets pissed off really easilly.

One way to piss people off with sarcasm is to make the target not get it, but to make other people get it(sarcastic joke would work best usually). Then you push the other guy to make "wrong"(hostile or enyhow weird that looks bad) reactions from the sarcasm. This will show others that he didnt get the sarcasm right or hes just over reacting to small things. If he reacts too strong in a wrong way for the situation(from other peoples point of view in the group) he will look like a pissed off retard or if he simple doesent get the sarcasm he will look really dumb. If he reacts in a weird but not hostile way to the situation, you can explain it to him and people will get pissed off when you explain something easy to get for them in front of the crowd and when they see that they reacted in weird way they feel embarrasment and be pissed off. You shouldnt do this in a mean way or you will just look bad.

Do these right several times to someone and you will get some wrong reactions out of him for sure.

When people are pissed off they react in a wrong way to little things allso that other people can see, but the pissed off guy wont see it so clearly.

If you manage to get someone so pissed off that he gets violent, this is the time to show your ninja moves to the girls.

:devil:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You're intrested in joining Germany in the next war ? Your evil plotting is marvellous xD

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some INTx types use sarcasm constantly as a tool to keep people away (basically), it's a nice protective wall. I seen maybe 20-25% of INTx people behave this way as their normal mode here online; some others will dabble in it from time to time, for fun.

Those who are more comfortable interacting with people and not bothered with some personal disclosure will just use it in an appropriate context, to deliver a succinct solid punch to someone or something that needs to be knocked down a notch or two.

I don't use it unless I have a good point; even when I'm angry, I try to avoid it because I know it's going to hit pretty solidly, so I hold onto it until I think it's essential to use.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with this. I use sarcasm when I am starting to get irritated with someone, or someone tries to bother me. I use this more as a weapon to attack said person before they know what hits them.

Sarcasm also comes into play when talking to an incredibly dumb person, someone I already rather dislike, someone who is rude to me, or someone I am just messing with.

Two modes to my sarcasm: playful, and ripping.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're intrested in joining Germany in the next war ? Your evil plotting is marvellous xD

Thanks, but those are just the basics, in reality its really complex. Im not intrested abour war :jew:

And this:

Some INTx types use sarcasm constantly as a tool to keep people away (basically), it's a nice protective wall. I seen maybe 20-25% of INTx people behave this way as their normal mode here online; some others will dabble in it from time to time, for fun.

Those who are more comfortable interacting with people and not bothered with some personal disclosure will just use it in an appropriate context, to deliver a succinct solid punch to someone or something that needs to be knocked down a notch or two.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sarcasm? Sarcasm?!!! I don't do sarcasm!!!

I just go straight to the relative point. :yes:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You ever heard about the concept of Sackgasm ? That can be loosely translated with "walking into a blindalley" and shouldnt be confused with orgasm.

So in an all or nothing world in which your standpoint is the truth in every case + absolute in every case, you will either go down the way of sackgasming with your concept or orgasming.

Did that make any sense at all ? :D

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
combine these and you turn to superhuman :devil:

Muahahhahahhahahahahahhahahaa!!!!!

I already am a genetically engineered mutant, what more do I need? Humam? Pgah, no need for such.

You ever heard about the concept of Sackgasm ? That can be loosely translated with "blindalley-ism" and shouldnt be confused with orgasm.

So in an all or nothing world in which your standpoint is the truth in every case + absolute in every case, you will either go down the way of sackgasming with your concept or orgasming.

Whatever the hell you just said, I have the basis for my new bible.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You ever heard about the concept of Sackgasm ? That can be loosely translated with "walking into a blindalley" and shouldnt be confused with orgasm.

sarcasm +
480px-Zeichen_357.svg.png

= :steam: ?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
More like:

:) (our unbendable hero) + :party2: (speaking to foreign people)

=

Result A ( likely outcome in 1% of the cases): :hug: (everyone agrees so an orgasm for the hero)

Result B ( likely outcome in 99% of the cases) :doh: (noone agrees and our hero already knows he is wrong but nevertheless he will keep to his opinion in public)

So he is going into a Sackgasm :D

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I use sarcasm on the offense and the defense. I am sarcastic when I find somebody irritatingly incompetent or overly emotional. Many times people don't even realize that I'm fooling around with them. It's all supposed to be fun and games though; I certainly don't like to hurt people's feelings. A part of me wishes that the people to which I am sarcastic will see things from a different perspective and potentially change the way they are handling a certain situation (though this is naive, idealistic, and very rarely happens).

I also use sarcasm when somebody has personally upset me in some way, and I don't want them to know it. I'll just throw in some witty light-hearted remark to defuse the situation.

Sarcasm is what comes natural to me though. I use it on pretty much an hourly basis.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The following day, having full awareness of what happened, I posted a "cryptic" facebook shoutout:

"The moment you ever piss me off again, your girlfriend is just a phone call away."

Translation: I just tell the f*ck what you're doing with the (ESFP) girl

I like that (though I wouldn't have posted it on his facebook page, but makes for a neat text message).

can any NTP here relate to this?

I can relate a bit (though I'm an NFP bordering on NxP).
Could be that I'm confusing sarcasm with irony here, but I just can't help being ironic. My experience is that most people simply fail to see the hidden meaning.
But even if they don't get it, some quips are simply too good not to be shared with the general public.

You're intrested in joining Germany in the next war?

Please sign here (minority people welcome!):

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
(I'll be damned...bobby!??? It's a coincidence, dude. I promise.)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know that I would have considered the examples in the OP sarcasm, as such, but I do think they were justified. People are often taken aback when an INTP is anything but laidback. They're not expecting it. I usually hold back a sarcastic or biting comment until I feel like the person in question absolutely deserves it. Usually they have far overstepped a boundary, or they've underestimated me. Then I don't care anymore and let it loose.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm rarely sarcastic unprovoked and when I am sarcastic, it is reserved for the deserving. I prefer teasing for the most part. Although, while it is perfectly clear to myself what I'm doing as far as sarcastic vs. teasing vs. being serious, a lot of people are not so clear lol. There have been so many times when someone has accused me of just being sarcastic (and probably brushed off whatever I said) and I was serious! It's a pain in the arse. I want to carry around little signs that I can hold up during conversations so everyone knows what I'm doing lol.