• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The Best Bullshit Detector

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Thats kind of a cynical view. Have you ever talked about this with him?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thats kind of a cynical view. Have you ever talked about this with him?

No, because I doubt I could contain my cynicism. I'm sure he thinks it's completely justified and in service to a larger purpose, but that's why he is able to do it so well.

It is true that many of our conversations amount to him representing a sort of traditional we-all-fit-into-the-larger-thing mindset and me representing the everyone-is-in-it-for-themselves mindset.

You make a good point, though. I assumed he was self-consciously manipulating others to get what he wanted, but it is likely he has completely genuine motives, which I do have trouble truly understanding since I am not an organizationally minded person. I fail at existing in a group.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
No, because I doubt I could contain my cynicism. I'm sure he thinks it's completely justified and in service to a larger purpose, but that's why he is able to do it so well.

It is true that many of our conversations amount to him representing a sort of traditional we-all-fit-into-the-larger-thing mindset and me representing the everyone-is-in-it-for-themselves mindset.

You make a good point, though. I assumed he was self-consciously manipulating others to get what he wanted, but it is likely he has completely genuine motives, which I do have trouble truly understanding since I am not an organizationally minded person. I fail at existing in a group.

Good deal. He may not even know he's doing it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Good deal. He may not even know he's doing it.

I have noticed that ENTJ's can be really good with some types of people (underlings) and yet they lack a certain facility for the finer points dealing with situations that require a lot of nuance and political maneuvering.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Definitely a sort of diplomacy. I see them succeeding in a lot of places just through shear application of effort.

Damn I guess I'm gonna miss out on that then. I'm kinda lazy.

My J is only 56%

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I dont work nearly as hard as my classmates. I only study three days for my exams. Well three days for each exam.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I dont work nearly as hard as my classmates. I only study three days for my exams. Well three days for each exam.

It's not about being efficient. It's about being effective. Working hard is not a virtue in itself.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Oh well I put in probably 20% the effort most people do. I'm in the middle of the pack grade wise.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well I'm in law school so I'm not trying to work for google.

And things are working out pretty well for me right now.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
To those declaring themselves extraordinary, or flawless, or super great at detecting bullshit, without anything to back it up...examples?

For one, if someone was a good bullshitter, you wouldn't be any wiser to the situation anyway, so it's unverifiable. But, putting that aside, you probably have some examples to back up your skills. Like, the time you when X did Y and you saw that X was trying to BS you. And you saw this was the case because of ______.

Otherwise, I'm calling bullshit on you. :wubbie:

Also, I'd guess that BS detection is more experience related than anything else. I probably couldn't tell if someone who has never crocheted tried to con me into thinking that they were master crochet-ers. I don't know anything about it.

PS: I'm not that great at detection.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well I spent the last dozen posts BS detecting on Synarch, and I think most of my predictions turned out to be accurate.