• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ's Do you suppress your smiles?

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I seem to do this a lot and was wondering if this was another typical INTJ expression just like our oh so feared INTJ glare.

Rather than smile broadly, I tend to suppress the smile. Almost smirkish in a way.

Do you do this too?
Pics anyone? I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ha! cute lil suppressed smile. :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh for sure...i think i'd have to try extra hard to make you laugh. :D

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have no idea what I do with smiles. I know that I entertain myself a lot with words and ideas and it doesn't always seem right to go big with a smile for something that other people aren't able to share. Oddly, actual full on smiling feels aggressive, like now I'm showing my teeth because there's something I'm hunting. That seems once again related to the impression that smiling happens when there's something I'm enjoying and other people don't know about.

Then again, of an ENTJ I used to know, I used to say she had two smiles, one with teeth and one without. With teeth, her face lit up. Without teeth, she was planning your demise.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't like my smile to begin with because I have a gap between my front teeth. I don't smile a whole lot anyway, but I do suppress it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My INTJ friend tries to hide his smiles, which makes it extra wonderful when he does smile.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm closer to forcing smiles than suppressing them. I'd only suppress them for the purposes of not looking like an idiot for laughing at some idea in my head.

I'm not an INTJ, of course.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Absolutely awesome when they try to stay all stern and serious, and you're able to just get a little smile on their lips :wubbie:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...I'm showing my teeth because there's something I'm hunting. That seems once again related to the impression that smiling happens when there's something I'm enjoying and other people don't know about.
This is pretty much like me.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
INTJ - a hint of a smile hides a lot of humor. The grin... beware of the grin... sometimes it's humor... sometimes it's a bearing of the teeth - beware.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In short: Yes.

The first thing is that I don't smile most of the time since I am not that kind of a person. The second thing is that it is quite likely that I will smile at something I am not suppose to. So hidding a smile in many situations is actually a wise choice in my case.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I can't say as I feel the need to repress my smiles. Forcing them (and making a bad job of it) is more usual.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
yeah my INTJ friends surpress their smiles, it blends in well with their sarcastic smirks

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even I do this...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm INFJ, and I definitely suppress my smiles. Perhaps it's more of an introvert trait in general..?
Apparently I have a trademark smirk.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been told that I have a "devilish" smile...

If my eyes are squinty and you see teeth, you're witnessing a genuine smile. If my eye's are not squinty and you see teeth, then yes, I'm being devilish. :devil:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's probably common of many e5s. intjs do it by far the most, tho.

it takes me some warm up time, slow gradual stretches before getting to the heavy lifting. my intj forces smiles really poorly, but when she is trying to withhold (don't control me! i'm not your monkey!) she enjoys the hell out of it, humor like many things is a challenge/game and why banter is one of the first things that makes her get up in the morning.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In short: Yes.

The first thing is that I don't smile most of the time since I am not that kind of a person. The second thing is that it is quite likely that I will smile at something I am not suppose to. So hidding a smile in many situations is actually a wise choice in my case.

I suppress my smiles for this reason as well (though I also just do it in general). The other day my class was forced to watch this really terrible film about a woman dying of ovarian cancer, and during one of the more sentimental parts (there were at least two women tearing up in the class at this point), I started imagining what a parody version might look like, and this gave me the uncontrollable urge to giggle. I had to work really hard to suppress any signs of smiling or amusement, to the point that I was contorting oddly in my chair. I think only a smirk escaped.