• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Types more likely to research their type?

A

A592

Ever since discovering that I'm an INTJ, I've been researching it a lot and been involved in the different forums.
My friends also did the test, but they seem uninterested in learning about themselves further.
Are some types more likely to research their type and discover more about it?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know the answer to that, but I have noticed that (in my experience at least) F types can be more resistant to personality typing systems because they value the unique in themselves and other people. They don't like to feel that they can be "pegged". It's true you can't put an individual in a category and any theoretical system will have its limits. Some people just prefer a more hands-on and direct approach to learning about people and things.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say it was a broader issue than this... I used to be a member of the Astrological Lodge of London - astrology like MBTI is a tool to help you understand yourself and the world around you...

N types were rife within the organisation and also on this board.

I personally beleive that N types look at things quiet different and have a wider intellectual spere that they need to explore (opinion not nessesarily fact), hence the reasons N's are trying harder to understand the world around them and themselves. N types mature later because of this because they need to grow into their brains and make choices about how they apply this wider more expansive perspectives...

Lis

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't know the answer to that, but I have noticed that (in my experience at least) F types can be more resistant to personality typing systems because they value the unique in themselves and other people. They don't like to feel that they can be "pegged". It's true you can't put an individual in a category and any theoretical system will have its limits. Some people just prefer a more hands-on and direct approach to learning about people and things.

Lol .. I was looking for answers as i would like to be pegged and because i can't, i got so frustrated with this .. Now i don't bother putting to much emphesis on it. There are some nice people here, i just concentrate on that.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Just look on this forum, it's about 80% INXXs.

Taking a step back and trying to understand your personality is kind of an N activity. You're not "living in the moment" when you're reflecting about personality and psychology in general.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Just look on this forum, it's about 80% INXXs.

Taking a step back and trying to understand your personality is kind of an N activity. You're not "living in the moment" when you're reflecting about personality and psychology in general.

Yep. I've seen the same kind of thing on other message boards. You can also see this trend if you have a look at message boards devoted to one personality type. Over the years, I've heard of plenty of INxx ones, a few ENxx boards, the odd ISxx one, and never a single ESxx message board.

The field of psychology in general tends to attract Ns quite a bit more than Ss. Posting on an online board is generally more attractive to Is than Es. Put the two together and you get an INxx majority on boards like this, even though IN types are least common in the general population. (Difficulties fitting in with others might also encourage more INxx people to explore why, and wind up looking at MBTI as an explanation).

Of course all this is very general, we do have at least a few people of every type here.

phinny5608

MBTI Type
INFP
I've mostly seen a toss up. With some people you just can't get them interested, others take it seriously like me. I've seen some of what Gerbah was talking about. Others just plain don't care it seems (even in the face of having been described impeccably), and this apparently includes NTs for some baffling reason. I thought NTs loved understanding the world around them, and especially systems. Perhaps I just didn't give them enough of a sample to get their mental tastebuds watering so that they'd seek out their own research. Dunno.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
If the general public realized the general utility of understanding MBTI.

All types would be represented here in equal measure.

phinny5608

MBTI Type
INFP
Yep. I've seen the same kind of thing on other message boards. You can also see this trend if you have a look at message boards devoted to one personality type. Over the years, I've heard of plenty of INxx ones, a few ENxx boards, the odd ISxx one, and never a single ESxx message board.

The field of psychology in general tends to attract Ns quite a bit more than Ss. Posting on an online board is generally more attractive to Is than Es. Put the two together and you get an INxx majority on boards like this, even though IN types are least common in the general population. (Difficulties fitting in with others might also encourage more INxx people to explore why, and wind up looking at MBTI as an explanation).

Of course all this is very general, we do have at least a few people of every type here.

:nice: Excellent observations here. Dead on, I think.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If the general public realized the general utility of understanding MBTI.

All types would be represented here in equal measure.

The general public either has no idea or poo-poos it like horoscopes and fortune cookies.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think, there are some tendencies:

- The types, which are more seldom in society, are more often interested in MBTI (because they search for understanding theirselves instead of defeating against social expectations)

- The I-types are more often interested, because they see life more from an "inner" view than others. The inner values are more important than the facile attitudes. But 80% on this board seems very high...

- The N-types are more capable to understand abstract models like MBTI. They are more attracted by this, because it can challenge their mind.

- The F-types respect individuality, that they reject MBTI more often than T-types (especially Fi-types). They need an other access than Ti-types, who want to understand the world logically

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
INxx seems reasonable.
After all, you're doing something quite general and abstract (N). You're interested in yourself and want to know yourself (I).

Researching the theory further after determining your type? Add a T.

bLAze

Guess would be INTJ, with ENTJ a close second.

NT because we like everything rational and logical. J because we like the structure that MBTI gives us, having it laid out infront of us in a coherent manner.

xNTJ
I'd wager I's would be more interested than E's because they live in their inner world.
But at the same time, maybe us E's like it better because it helps us with social interactions (which we thrive on) and gives us means to understand other types.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong. I just don't buy the fact that F's would be more interested in a typing system that often criticizes them and points out their flaws. An NT, (atleast I do) love to hear flaws, embrace em, and learn from them.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
N>S for the most part. But that will change when people see the viability of personality typing in the future. Mostly INXX are interested in talking about this along with ENXX. There are more S types here then you'd think, they are just lurking and don't feel the need to contribute. Lots of ESXX types I imagine.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I definitely see INxx exploring their type alot more often than any others.
I do have to say though that I LOVE learning about this stuff, how people think and how they react. It gives me a small 'in' into their brains. I really don't see it as being a restriction like I know alot of people tend to think it is. If anything, it helps us understand ourselves and each other at our core. I really like that.
I'm always trying to find information on my type, but sadly we don't have too many ISFPs who post youtube videos of themselves talking about all of this, or expressing their views and how they work . I suppose they just aren't interested or they don't know. I'd like to change that though, thats for sure :D

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm always trying to find information on my type, but sadly we don't have too many ISFPs who post youtube videos of themselves talking about all of this, or expressing their views and how they work . I suppose they just aren't interested or they don't know. I'd like to change that though, thats for sure :D

Good idea. :nice:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with those who have said INXXs.
Nice explanation.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good idea. :nice:

I actually planned on making some youtube videos about typology, but alas, I have no webcam. :( I'm going to be getting one soon though.

I think I remember thinking of making a thread encouraging people to make videos/audio about their type. I could have done the audio thing... but eh. Laziness.

No one wants to do that kind of thing alone in a thread. :D