• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP- did you destroy things?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL what thinking is the common denominator? LOL ROFLMAO.....

I don't know why but I found that really funny...

If you are into thinking - have a go at "the Art of looking sideways" which is oober thought provoking book which is like a scrap book, there is a whole bit about thinking, thoughts etc....
NTP vs. STP

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
LOL what thinking is the common denominator? LOL ROFLMAO.....

Agree, I still see life as a series of experiments. I thought this insanity was all Ne's doing. I got into helping my father(INTP) fix his bike the other week and managed to convince him to use a hammer and chisel on it (long story, but it worked). I've also dismantled every computer I've owned (notebooks included). Got myself in trouble heaps when I was younger testing things (ISTP sister made for a crazy combo). I fixed condensation inside my camera lens when I was travelling using the lid off a Berocca tube and a black plastic bag in the sun. ISTPs do this stuff too, but the stuff mentioned seems very Ne. It's that crazy urge to test and understand everything.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
As children, were you nearly incapable of respecting the goods and property of others? Did you improve? Ever?

I'm currently trying to decide whether I should just go ahead and start a bail fund for my child. :shock: It's a good thing this kid is so freaking brilliant...perhaps developing into something insanely famous, so as to repay me for all my trouble? Seriously. Experiements involving deodorant, paper, chewing gum and her sibling's hair? So well-intentioned. And so diabolic.

But, really...all exasperation and exaggeration aside, what were you like as children? (fwiw, I actually like my kiddo quite a lot. :wubbie:)

When I was in preschool I used to be fascinated by bending silverware. By the fact that I could and by the fact that the metal heated up when I would bend it back and forth. It would get so hot that I could barely hold it. One day I broke a spoon in half while eating a bowl of chocolate pudding. They sent it home with me in a letter sized envelope that said "$2" so my parents would pay for it. I was so scared they would be mad.

Later on I held a stereo magnet against our television because it made a rainbow as it affected the electron beam. It left a green hue on our television for a few hours. I was terrified my father would see it.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've never destroyed things accidentally by doing experiments.
I did do experiments, but they didn't destroy things.
I destroyed things on purpose, trying to manipulate my parents. Those objects were almost always things I made myself - tearing a drawing I made in two or something. The destroying part of it worked, the manipulation part of it didn't work... They were just mad at me then. (And rightly, of course.)

Magnets and television: I did the experiment in my lesson about the Lorentz force! And I will do it again, as the experiment and the lesson had been a great success.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my experience, everyone destroys things, only few repair (or attempt to repair) that which they destroyed.

Go ENTP's!

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
I was more a rule breaker and bender than destructive, but when I was destructive, it was usually not intentional. When it was intentional, it was bad. :)

Like the time I got thoroughly and utterly seeing-red pissed off working on my car (1976 Pinto wagon, pumpkin orange...aka "The Sled"). Was replacing the front seal on the transmission, and lined up the flywheel incorrectly...5 times in a row. I got so made the last time that I got up from under the car and started kicking it. I smashed in the front left fender...I was so loud yelling and screaming and beating the shit out of my car, that neighbor from DOWN THE STREET were coming outside to see what was going on.

It was a good thing I didn't have anything heavier than a ratchet/socket, because I would have destroyed my car.

About the only thing I do anymore is launch the cordless phone into the concrete when either it won't answer/hang up when I push the appropriate button. We've had to buy 2 new sets since moving into the house, but the last time was about 5 years ago. :)

proximo

It doesn't matter how ingenious or brilliant a child is, they still MUST learn to respect boundaries and other people's rights.

I borrowed it, often unauthorised, but I wouldn't have dared to give it back in anything other than the condition in which I found it. Because if I hadn't, my dad would have whipped me into the middle of next week. He was an ISTP, by the way.

One of my children is also an ENTP. I take the same approach to her as my Dad did towards me. Consequently, she plays and experiments with her own stuff, but if she wants to use anybody else's stuff, she asks first, because she knows there will be consequences otherwise.

Being creative is not a licence to be a selfish, obnoxious jerk - NOTHING is an excuse to be an obnoxious jerk, however cute and amusing your mother finds you. This is something I've always believed was imperative to instill into my kids. Tolerating such behaviour simply teaches a kid: you're BETTER than other people, so you can treat them as mere objects, and they and all they possess is simply there for your benefit.

Qre:us

It doesn't matter how ingenious or brilliant a child is, they still MUST learn to respect boundaries and other people's rights.

I borrowed it, often unauthorised, but I wouldn't have dared to give it back in anything other than the condition in which I found it. Because if I hadn't, my dad would have whipped me into the middle of next week. He was an ISTP, by the way.

One of my children is also an ENTP. I take the same approach to her as my Dad did towards me. Consequently, she plays and experiments with her own stuff, but if she wants to use anybody else's stuff, she asks first, because she knows there will be consequences otherwise.

Being creative is not a licence to be a selfish, obnoxious jerk - NOTHING is an excuse to be an obnoxious jerk, however cute and amusing your mother finds you. This is something I've always believed was imperative to instill into my kids. Tolerating such behaviour simply teaches a kid: you're BETTER than other people, so you can treat them as mere objects, and they and all they possess is simply there for your benefit.

+1000.

In hindsight, I was lucky that beyond my 'nature', my nurture (parents, esp) taught me about rights of self and others. And, with that, respect.

If coupled with appeal to reason more than mere, "Do not do that."

..It'd be a perfect combo for the ENTP kiddo.

I was shown early on that I would have a limited number of "stuff" so my curiosity will need to be tempered with my greater curiosity for results. There was no luxury of 'practice makes perfect' for me. So, I learned when and how to twiddle with stuff, rather than just treat the world as my personal buffet, barring others. I'm thankful for this lesson from my parents.

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP

Couldn't agree more. This is heavily relates to the whole "over pampering of the modern child problem", where kids grow up with an over inflated self esteem, and the underlying sense that they are entitled to pretty much whatever they want. The stereotypical parent in the problem just mentioned, paired with a heavy ENTP oriented child...I dont even want to think of what that might produce. That's like shooting a crossbow blindfolded into a crowd.

I learned when and how to twiddle with stuff
Hey, my parents taught me that to. They also taught me when and how to sabotage peoples shit....ya know, when/if they deserved it. I am thankful for the latter one. I have conquered many problems in my lifetime.

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP
*cough* choleric *cough*

Yes. Not sure what that word means. If I repeated you etc, I apologize

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Experiements involving deodorant, paper, chewing gum and her sibling's hair? So well-intentioned. And so diabolic

lol! i'm not ENTP, but i also used to experiment with different materials as a kid. usually i was mixing up different kinds of liquids in the bathroom, or something similar :D

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I generally was quite bad in alot of ways... due to curiousity.

My favorite toys were not dolls, but lego, and transformers. I loved the idea of making something complex from many smaller parts, and my designs were always amazing.. I hated the crap they sold in boxes because the stuff they made never looked as good as mine >.>

And transformers I could just switch back and forth and back and forth like 50 times in a row, they were amusing that way XD

But yeah... when I was very young I got a sega genesis, since I'd been playing on an atari anyway before that. So lots of gaming in there too from a young age.

There's also things like capricorn said, of being able to fix things easily; I could even program the VCR XD Thing is, this only occurs if I wasn't bored; if I was interested in something, I could focus intently on fixing a problem, however... I was also very difficult to focus attention on things.

Was diagnosed with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder... I'm not sure if it's even real, but whotever people wanted to use as an excuse to explain my behaviour); problem has never truly gone away, but I've found ways to deal with it. I find my mind wanders way too easily, and my attention span is nil; the easiest way to keep me paying attention, is to divide my attention, as odd as that sounds. As long as I'm doing "other" stuff, I don't tend to wander off in my mind nearly as much. Soooo for example, if I'm trying to do homework or something, play music, tap my feets to it, have tv on, keep adding things until I'm not actively trying to find something to distract me. When I have enough things going on at once, I can just ignore everything else, and the act of ignoring them seems to help. If I were alone in a silent room while trying to do a single task, I'd have my mind wandering aimlessly and it'd be impossible to focus; give me a dozen things going on around me, and it's easy.

In terms of respecting others' property, however, that was something I actually learned very quickly. Thing was lego... having that knocked over or damaged or destroied... eh... I would spend hours and hours perfecting a design, then if it was damaged I'd be sooooooo pissed about it... so I quickly came to the conclusion that breaking other peoples' stuff is bad, since I flat out hated it myself.

Which... brings me to another point. At a younger age, I was also quite violent o_O Little control on my emotions... I never enjoyed acting on such, since I knew, even at the time, I'd feel guilty afterwards.

This has led to interesting dichotomies...

If someone pisses me off to great extent, I have no respect for their property, and will do horrible things to it. It wouldn't be the first time I've damaged a car, refrigerator, window, or other expensive item because I felt it was suitable payback for someone being an ass. The biggest problem, is that it'll be plotted ahead to look like an accident, and yeu won't be able to tell WHY it broke, yeu'll just go "oh crap it broke down ;_; "

It's a cruel thing to do, but cause distress to me and yeu'll find it returned quite equally and then some for good measure.

Overall, yeur kid will probably have alot of creativity bottled up. This's good and bad, because it means yeu'll have someone who's creative, but when they can't hold onto it anymore, it will come out in some pretty terrible ways. I shall forego the incident involving a minor forest fire and myself due to my belief that fire was pretty. Don't let this happen :O

Get them lego or k'nex or something to preoccupy them as much as possible. Yeu want to give them many outlets for their creativity, or they'll find "new and interesting" ways involving the dishes being used to make a card house out of. Keep one step ahead of them or yeu shall regret it XD

Oh and the biggest thing... respect is important. Immensely so. Yeu don't get freebie respect by being their parent... yeu have to earn it, same as everyone else. Yeu may be given more leniency and gain it faster, but yeu can't just assume that because yeu're the parent, yeu get automatic respect. "respect yeur elders" is a quote that just pisses me off, and I"m sure they feel the same; yeu respect who has earned it. Not just who has happened to be an ass longer.

EXPLAIN things; if yeu say "don't do this" and give no reason... yeu've pretty much just 100% guaranteed that they'll do it out of spite. If yeu simply give an explanation and say WHY not to do so, it's almost guaranteed they'll listen.

And about the worst thing yeu could concievably do is punish them and not say why. The whole "Go to yeur room and think about whot yeu've done, and I won't tell yeu whot it is because yeu KNOW whot yeu did wrong" is usually totally false... because half the time, they didn't realize it was wrong at all, and the other half they're wondering which of the 10 things they know they did wrong yeu caught onto and will feign ignorance on all of them. Don't bother trying to bait them into saying whot they did wrong and hoping to lure extra information out of them; they're too crafty for it. It's a waste of everyone's time, and they'll be infuriated yeu tried, and yeu WILL pay for the attempt, one way or another. And yeu'll never have the evidence to prove they broke the clothes dryer in retribution.

Treat them with respect, and explain yeurself, and don't treat them for a fool, and yeu'll get along much better.

Oh.

And don't leave any child psychology books laying around. If they think it's talking about them, they'll read it cover to cover, understand it, and use it against yeu. My parents made the mistake of having one of these out in the open. Don't make the same mistake.

EDIT: OH CRAP I JUST REMEMBERED!

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LEAVE THEM ALONE WITH AN EMPTY 2L POP BOTTLE AND THE CONTENTS OF THE SPICE RACK!

Also, do not ask why I know this, just accept personal experience has taught me this was a very bad idea, though it seemed like a good one at the time.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
When I was in preschool I used to be fascinated by bending silverware. By the fact that I could and by the fact that the metal heated up when I would bend it back and forth. It would get so hot that I could barely hold it. One day I broke a spoon in half while eating a bowl of chocolate pudding. They sent it home with me in a letter sized envelope that said "$2" so my parents would pay for it. I was so scared they would be mad.

Later on I held a stereo magnet against our television because it made a rainbow as it affected the electron beam. It left a green hue on our television for a few hours. I was terrified my father would see it.

>.>

Yeah... LCD screens make lovely colours when yeu push on them. Also, the 'degauss' button is an addiction of mine...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wasn't so much destructive as I was just about killing myself much of the time, I'd get excited and rush cause I wanted my idea to happen RIGHT AWAY :happy2: only I'd often run straight into some kind of death trap and not notice until I was on the ground bleeding.

I really don't remember destroying things, I don't tend to remember things in my past though, my mum may remember differently *shrug* but I know she wouldn't have tolerated me damaging other people's things, nor would my ENTJ bro who had all the cool toys. I'd get lectured with that stern I'm-disappointed-in-you-and-you-should-be-too judgmental way that simultaneously pissed me right off and got me upset that people I looked up to were disappointed in me :( so I stuck to trying to kill myself in the most inventive way as much as possible :D

Am I the only ENTP who can manage money?

Are you sure you're an ENTP? ;)

S

sammy

Yep. I made everyone in my family mad a LOT while growing up. :D

But, these days they talk about it fondly and to tease me.