• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP- did you destroy things?

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
As children, were you nearly incapable of respecting the goods and property of others? Did you improve? Ever?

I'm currently trying to decide whether I should just go ahead and start a bail fund for my child. :shock: It's a good thing this kid is so freaking brilliant...perhaps developing into something insanely famous, so as to repay me for all my trouble? Seriously. Experiements involving deodorant, paper, chewing gum and her sibling's hair? So well-intentioned. And so diabolic.

But, really...all exasperation and exaggeration aside, what were you like as children? (fwiw, I actually like my kiddo quite a lot. :wubbie:)

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
As children, were you nearly incapable of respecting the goods and property of others? Did you improve? Ever?

I'm currently trying to decide whether I should just go ahead and start a bail fund for my child. :shock: It's a good thing this kid is so freaking brilliant...perhaps developing into something insanely famous, so as to repay me for all my trouble? Seriously. Experiements involving deodorant, paper, chewing gum and her sister's hair? So well-intentioned. And so diabolic.

Yeah, you're going to want to go ahead and open a savings account. It's obligatory if you intend to responsibly manage your money and remain debt-free. I'm predicting a torched golf field, a car dissassembled and strewn about a parking lot, and a swimming pool filled with a mixture of jello and cooked pasta, among other things.

In all seriousness, as a child I was the exact same way. It's not that I was purposefully destructive. My curiosity just got in the way of actively having compassion for other people's things, and I didn't really even think about the negative consequences of my actions. I was just satiating my curious spirit and having fun. I remember several instances in which my disregard for my things and/or other people's things really got me into trouble. However, upon learning that I inadvertantly brought a level of disharmony into someone else's world, I became slightly guilt-ridden, and I was more cognizant of the same kinds of mistakes in the future. Just tell your ENTP child (in a nice way, of course) that while you understand that he/she has a curious spirit, that spirit should not be filled at the expense of others. Don't be mean about it though. If you are mean, your little ENTP minion is going to continue with his/her whims to spite you, ultimately exacerbating the problem.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ah open the account, but more importantly teach the kid to manage money, ENTPs sulk at it... I still do :eek: :(

As for being distructive, you know I can't rememeber being actively distructive, but then I ws theyounges tof 11 kids so there was always plenty of junk around to fix... I used to be really good at fixing stuff.. I also like to make stuff out of wood, even now I still sulk with wood but I loved nailign stuff together, I'm excellent in metal though - was the top of my year out fo 300 students.

I had a freakish childhood, my elder bros once bought a car back as scrap and let us young ones take it appart (sounds destructive but it was bought for the purposes)... it was way cool.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
thanks! Good to hear, and makes a lot of sense...the little ENTP in question tends to look at me with complete confusion when I seem irritated at the latest brilliant attempt at invention, and then glibly offers some crazy money making scheme in order to repay me once I explain my frustration. I usually agree, nod solemnly, and then shut the door and bust a lung laughing. If my mind was half as creative and free, I'd totally take over the world myself. :D

Tink- I knew I was in for a ride when my kiddo completely dismantled a bunk bed set with a screwdriver at the age of 4.5. How cool that your brothers got you a car to dismantle! Not freakish...just really, really awesome.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
....and then glibly offers some crazy money making scheme in order to repay me once I explain my frustration. I usually agree, nod solemnly, and then shut the door and bust a lung laughing. D

Don't diss the crazy money making scheme....

I had a soap making racket
sellign flowers from the garden
at least 100 kids jobs (delivering papers, local distribution, dish washing etc)
I also ran my own cheese cake making racket.... My mum use to take a cut for overheads... Nifty earner that one :):D:)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tink- I knew I was in for a ride when my kiddo completely dismantled a bunk bed set with a screwdriver at the age of 4.5. How cool that your brothers got you a car to dismantle! Not freakish...just really, really awesome.

LOL I grew up in a house where dismantelling beds on house guests was normal... usually late teen early 20's irish cousins over to be charmed by their scottish relatives.

They would dismantel the bed and hide it aound the room.

Bless his cotton socks, your wee one is just trying to figure out how things work... sadly in an age of micro chips it's not as mecanical as it use to be.... a lot more fun...

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
uh yeah I was destructive. The bathroom was one of my favorite places when I was a teeny tiny kid lol. All those lotions and soaps and makeup and clearners to make stuff out of. My daughter is an enxp I think and she does much of the same.

Don't worry, it gets better. Slowly they learn that its not very nice to just do stuff with other peoples things, that they should at least ask first.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

Oh, remember me. Looked back it is funny, I was really ruthless, destroying plastic basins, pots, toys of others and of mine, and terrorising my teachers.

Then, as I got more and more isolated because of this, it stopped, and I developed some Fe to respect the world of others. I was 14, when the destruction stopped, and 17, when the respect (angst!) for others reached a level, that wasn't healthy.

I cannot give any advise than to let your child drive in real trouble. ENTPs are clever enough to learn about it.

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP
I felt a pure shot of nostalgia up the butt with this thread, I just had to make an account.
I was infamous for being that one child in which parents would refrain when their sons/daughters invited me over. On numerous occasions I have dissasembled and reorganized half of my friends houses to better resemble fortresses, thus things breaking.

Its our nature to constantly want to elaborate and concieve new ideas and test them. To the idea of this problem getting better? I acquired an anarchist's cookbook when I was 16, safe to say ill be this way for a long time. For better or for worse

capricorn009

Lol, I was one of those kids that could fix a broken vcr tape by unscrewing the plastic,
cutting away the damaged part of the film, fixing it with something like quick-dry nail p-
olish and clear tape, and putting it back together. Now, I can restore a computer ent-
irely without looking at instructions by following the f-key menus on the start up screen.

ENTJ

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah I did it a lot too!

When I was 11 in school we made a box and you had to glue bits together and put it in the clamp to dry. I wanted to see how tight I could put it in the clamp before the clamp stop tightening. But it kept tightening so I tried to see how thin I could make the box using the clamp so I tightened and tightened and then the box snapped in half!!!!!!!

I also used to make loads of dens and go out searching for places to make them that no one else could find unless I showed them!

My attempts to cook are always interesting!
I have to homebrewed drinks.
Irn Rooster - A super energy/caffine drink that has you bouncing off the walls for hours!
Special Honey Juice - The perfect thing to help your singing voice especially useful for my musicals!
I'm going to try distill my own alcohol some time soon as well! Homemade Cider! I'm 18 in 4 weeks so I want something interesting for my party!

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was a hell raising diabolical dare devil. My parents were scared for my life (once even landed myself a spot at Harborview Hospital) because of all the crazy stunts and shit I did.

I lived in my own world of adventure and opportunity.
Destruction of household items (including my brother's hair) was just the necessary byproduct of my existence and education. However, I was bright enough of a child to learn practical lessons from it all, all I still mentally reference to this day.

Your kid will be fine. Just teach him to follow through until the end in whatever he undertakes.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm not an ENTP. I do like cheese.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Yeah I did it a lot too!

When I was 11 in school we made a box and you had to glue bits together and put it in the clamp to dry. I wanted to see how tight I could put it in the clamp before the clamp stop tightening. But it kept tightening so I tried to see how thin I could make the box using the clamp so I tightened and tightened and then the box snapped in half!!!!!!!

I also used to make loads of dens and go out searching for places to make them that no one else could find unless I showed them!

My attempts to cook are always interesting!
I have to homebrewed drinks.
Irn Rooster - A super energy/caffine drink that has you bouncing off the walls for hours!
Special Honey Juice - The perfect thing to help your singing voice especially useful for my musicals!
I'm going to try distill my own alcohol some time soon as well! Homemade Cider! I'm 18 in 4 weeks so I want something interesting for my party!

That's really cool, CJ...Rent, eh? Nice! I'm a fellow singer. :D I'd love your honey juice recipe.

Your kid will be fine. Just teach him to follow through until the end in whatever he undertakes.

Good advice! That tends to be my biggest challenge. First, acknowledging endeavors as worthwhile, and then committing myself to helping follow through of some elaborate scheme. I can do that, I just need to keep it a goal, I think.

Its our nature to constantly want to elaborate and conceive new ideas and test them.

This is a really helpful way to frame it. :yes:

I suppose my ideal of simplicity and peace will have to be shelved for a while. :boohoo:It's probably just as well...life's more interesting this way, anyway. :cheese: :heart:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Strange how ENTPs can appear ESTP when young, but INTPs aren't very ISTP-like.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Mac

How the heck do you get that? In what was is ESTP like ENTP????

Ok I remembered on the way way to work one of the destructive things I did as a kid...

Me 3.5 years old, big bro aged 4.5 were heavily influenced by open university as kids... so we got up very early one morning and decided to conduct a proper scientific experiment....

We decided to drop test my mums anteque orniments for their bouncability. This consisted of us climbing on a shelf about 3 feet tall and dropping the orniments down onto the polished wooden floor to see the imapct. This means they feel around six feet onto a hard wood flooring. The bouncibility is what we were intersted.

What impresses me looking back on this is that we wanted it to be a PROPER scientific expderiment so we new the results had to be repeatable... so any orniment that wasn't smashed to peices was re-tested...

Needless to say - we didn't sit down for a week.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL what thinking is the common denominator? LOL ROFLMAO.....

I don't know why but I found that really funny...

If you are into thinking - have a go at "the Art of looking sideways" which is oober thought provoking book which is like a scrap book, there is a whole bit about thinking, thoughts etc....