• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP's and relationships

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Creep creep creeepin! :p

I'd offer myself as a viable replacement INTP, but alas, it shall not be. If you still want to work it out with that other INTP, I'd suggest trying to be as open as possible when you think he's misreading you. Be upfront and very clear about whatever your intentions and feelings are so that he actually understands and doesn't have to jump to conclusions. Unfortunately for us, it we get to the point where we feel like we have to second guess your intentions, I've found that the relationship is already on the downhill slope. Trust for INTPs means A LOT, and if it begins to wane in any part of their mind then it needs to be corrected promptly or it will continue to be a growing thorn in the relationship.

Sometimes our social ineptitude and strong Ti leads us to false conclusions about the people we love, and their intentions. In this depressing world full of unscrupulous characters, we sometimes get carried away with the possibilities floating in our minds (...paranoia) and fail to see the true nature of those close to us. Just tell him you love him, and tell him to stop acting that we because it annoys you and puts a strain on the relationship. Tell him not to worry so much.

And if that doesn't work then... :hi: ;) .

What time can you pick me up at the airport? ;)
Type description can feel like it fits someone really well, especially when looking two types with near same functions. You should look at functions seperatly what fits better on him.

Extraverted iNtuiting
vs
Extraverted Sensing

intp and istp use these both, but stronger function shows stronger and more often. you can see if someone is sensor or intuitive quite easilly when you know what your looking for.

I did look at the descriptions of Ne and Se. What I've been trying to say, is that I don't want to walk through how I arrived at his type in this thread, because I don't want to sit give examples of each thing that he did that made me think he was an INTP over ISTP and relate them to the descriptions, since i'm no longer really questioning his type, unless he gives me more information to point otherwise. I'm now only questioning his actions. :doh: When I say, "The INTP type description fits better." I'm not saying "it feels better." I'm saying, "I read the type descriptions, the function descriptions. And have talked to him at length and have gotten to know him quite well, and based on what i've seen and heard, the INTP description fits better."

*sigh*

(And again. If, for whatever reason, a person thinks he's an ISTP, based on what they've read here, comments and suggestions based on that are still welcome.)

Well, I guess you guys are training me pretty well in precision and directness.

Kambro

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6?
i'm no longer really questioning his type, unless he gives me more information to point otherwise. I'm now only questioning his actions. :doh:

*sigh*

As I said previously I am INTJ but really INTP as well since my J/P is borderline.

Your description sounded close and the issue is easy - tell him exactly how you feel. Its the uncertainty and speculation (paranoia) that kills us. Only problem is I can go into a long story and from experience with ISFP in my life ISFPs hate deep discussions. Can't seem to handle it :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm no longer really questioning his type, unless he gives me more information to point otherwise. I'm now only questioning his actions. :doh:

*sigh*

As I said previously I am INTJ but really INTP as well since my J/P is borderline.

Your description sounded close and the issue is easy - tell him exactly how you feel. Its the uncertainty and speculation (paranoia) that kills us. Only problem is I can go into a long story and from experience with ISFP in my life ISFPs hate deep discussions. Can't seem to handle it :)

Thanks.
Sometimes I think that i'm being direct, (see early posts in the first few pages on what I've been telling him), but I feel that he thinks otherwise. (Not just him, but INTx in general.) Where other types seem to think that i'm being direct. It must be just a matter of different thought processes and speaking different "languages" emotionally, if that makes sense.

Perhaps its that since these types don't understand "feelings" as well as others, I have to be even MORE descriptive than I would normally be to get points regarding feelings across. You think?

(I just realized that I wrote "I feel that he thinks otherwise." Cute.)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

its not about what he did or does, its about how he came to solution that this is the way to do this thing. you cant understand him unless you know why he did the things he did. looking at functions seperatly helps you to understand why he does what he does. type analysis can help on that too a little, but its more of how some types act, not so much why they act the way they do. naturally you can understand why some types act the way they do from type analysis, but not much unless you fully understand each function that the type uses. allso some people might use functions that his type doesent normally use that much, like Fi should be my weakest(8th) function..

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
its not about what he did or does, its about how he came to solution that this is the way to do this thing. you cant understand him unless you know why he did the things he did. looking at functions seperatly helps you to understand why he does what he does. type analysis can help on that too a little, but its more of how some types act, not so much why they act the way they do. naturally you can understand why some types act the way they do from type analysis, but not much unless you fully understand each function that the type uses. allso some people might use functions that his type doesent normally use that much, like Fi should be my weakest(8th) function..

I'm not sure how else to say this.
I understand that INTP's are
Ti,Ne,Si,Fe.
I understand what each of those functions means.
I don't understand as much about how INTP's choose to use feelings.
I think that his Se is probably better than your average INTP, though it would normally be poor.
I don't think that he has good use of Se compared to an SP.
I think that he has excellent use of Ne.

It now is not a question of retyping him, or understanding the processes.

Based on this, I was now looking for practical suggestions and insights.

(Where again, if someone, for some reason, thought he was using different processes, then they are also welcome to make suggestions based on their different view.)

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
People, she thinks he's an INTP ffs! Go with that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ti,Ne,Si,Fe.
I think that his Se is probably better than your average INTP, though it would normally be poor.

Not every person have all of theyr functions precisely as theyr type normally have. functions can(and will) be trained just like muscles, the ones you work with more gets developed better. more developed functions run over the weak ones, for example if intp has developed Fe to the point where it works better than Si, he will be Ti Ne Fe Si, but still an intp because the strongest functions are what matters when thinking about type. feelings arent something that you choose to use, its something that you use even if you wouldnt want to. if feeling function is weak, it just doesent show that much(for the person who is feeling them or to others), because weak feelings get ruled by thinking function since its stronger. allso weaker the function, easier it is to hide it.

Maybe i missed something, but yea, if he has excellent Ne and not as good Se as his Ne is, then he is intp if he uses Ti as first function.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Wow, I just made an observation-based statement, and look what happened.

Kambro

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6?
Thanks.
Sometimes I think that i'm being direct, (see early posts in the first few pages on what I've been telling him), but I feel that he thinks otherwise. (Not just him, but INTx in general.) Where other types seem to think that i'm being direct. It must be just a matter of different thought processes and speaking different "languages" emotionally, if that makes sense.

Perhaps its that since these types don't understand "feelings" as well as others, I have to be even MORE descriptive than I would normally be to get points regarding feelings across. You think?

(I just realized that I wrote "I feel that he thinks otherwise." Cute.)

That's the whole point - we are not feelers. I have a well developed Feeling function and even have high empathy but at the end of the day I am theoretically applying what is fact for you.

at the end of the dat u need to spell it out to avoid that paranoia coming out. Honest straight talking does it for me. Problem is any actions get analysed agisnt your words so action counts for more as action speaks louder than words.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP's ____ and relationships?

Please fill in the blank.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti,Ne,Si,Fe.

It now is not a question of retyping him, or understanding the processes.

(Where again, if someone, for some reason, thought he was using different processes, then they are also welcome to make suggestions based on their different view.)
courtesy Jennifer : http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...rices/2282-eight-function-analysis-intps.html

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What do I do about it?

Why would you wanna do anything about it?
Unless it's creating problems you can address directly.

I've been there. I'd suggest rolling with the punches, guide him through the highs and lows and stay rational.

Or dump him if you don't think he's worth it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP's whiney and clingy in relationships, MacGuff.
Read the OP.

Or you can just choose your own adventure, since that's what this thread has turned into. Like a madlib.

_________'s acting _________in relationships. ;)

As far as his type goes.

Lets just, theoretically, imagine, that he might be an INTP. (You INTP's like theoretical things, right?) For the sake of this thread.
If someone would like to start another thread about functions then you are welcome to it.

But. For the sake of this thread. If someone happens to have anything else to add, (hint: I think you've covered it) but if you do happen to have anything else to add, just use a theoretical stereotypical Ti Ne Si Fe model. (See Jennifer's model post earlier in the thread.)

I don't feel like writing a five page dissertation on my view of his personal function usage.

(Maybe if we have an interesting IM conversation i'll copy paste it here for you crazies to gnaw on together. I can just see it now...

"No! He's an INFP who's parents were divorced and he's undergoing a lot of emotional strife!!"
"No! He's an ISTP who doesn't give a damn!
"No!! He's an ISFJ, we've got it all wrong!!"
"At least we all agree that he's an I!" )

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not every person have all of theyr functions precisely as theyr type normally have. functions can(and will) be trained just like muscles, the ones you work with more gets developed better. more developed functions run over the weak ones, for example if intp has developed Fe to the point where it works better than Si, he will be Ti Ne Fe Si, but still an intp because the strongest functions are what matters when thinking about type. feelings arent something that you choose to use, its something that you use even if you wouldnt want to. if feeling function is weak, it just doesent show that much(for the person who is feeling them or to others), because weak feelings get ruled by thinking function since its stronger. allso weaker the function, easier it is to hide it.

Maybe i missed something, but yea, if he has excellent Ne and not as good Se as his Ne is, then he is intp if he uses Ti as first function.

Thanks for the insight.

Wow, I just made an observation-based statement, and look what happened.

You're a rebel rouser.

lol I think they ran out of ideas

so its Si play time *evil grin*
(slowly starts to inch away from scary thread.)

That's the whole point - we are not feelers. I have a well developed Feeling function and even have high empathy but at the end of the day I am theoretically applying what is fact for you.

at the end of the dat u need to spell it out to avoid that paranoia coming out. Honest straight talking does it for me. Problem is any actions get analysed agisnt your words so action counts for more as action speaks louder than words.

Hmm... My actions might be a tad incoherent with my words... (And thank you for ignoring the ruckus.)

Why would you wanna do anything about it?
Unless it's creating problems you can address directly.

I've been there. I'd suggest rolling with the punches, guide him through the highs and lows and stay rational.

Or dump him if you don't think he's worth it.

Umm.. I don't particularly care to do a whole lot about it. I'm mostly just curious as to what brought about this odd behavior, and am willing to give different stuff a try. At this point, i'm not sure if he's worth it or not. He's been pretty good lately once we had some better communication. Its just, some behavior I don't understand. Some people I don't understand. I thought it would be interesting to find out more.

As far as rolling with the punches. Yea, that's a good plan for now. (I think if this goes on forever though I might just hafta call it quits.)

Ps: ENTJ and INTP sounds like an interesting pair.
I digress.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh cool. I just caught this.

(She didn't finish her OP... you INTP's make me feel like a raging J. AN EIGHT FUNCTION THEORY WITH ONLY SIX FUNCTIONS? THAT'S UNHEARD OF! )

But actually..
Its a good thread..
It makes a lot of sense.

I don't know about the J, but the raging part is pretty funny.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP's whiney and clingy in relationships, MacGuff.
Read the OP.

Or you can just choose your own adventure, since that's what this thread has turned into. Like a madlib.

_________'s acting _________in relationships. ;)

*shakes head*

Still missing the object of the possessive noun.

"INTP's whiney and clingy _______ in relationships"

"_________'s _______ acting _________in relationships"