• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] pseudo intellectuals

rav3n

Yes. This is my reason for hating philosophy, the majority of philosophers, and philosophy majors most of all. They should all die in a fire.
You're kidding, right? Philosophy kicks ass in that questioning status quo is a way to improve critical thinking while taking a can opener to our self-limited minds.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose you can spin this off to generalised terms of hoarding, whether material objects or intangibles. The human condition is insecurity which is fear manifested. Everyone hoards to some degree, in order to control the uncontrollable in the form of uncontrollable offset or direct control which includes competitive advantage, a clawing upwards for the right to survive.

Very true, and I suppose if you put it this way, knowledge and 5 syllable words are probably smarter to hoard then material possessions since you can't take knowledge away. Can be a homeless, starving, drug addicted intellectual. :laugh:

rav3n

Very true, and I suppose if you put it this way, knowledge and 5 syllable words are probably smarter to hoard then material possessions since you can't take knowledge away. Can be a homeless, starving, drug addicted intellectual. :laugh:
Hey, hey, had we not coveted land based food sources, we'd all still be shark bait! Either that or we'd have enslaved sharks like cats, dogs and horses.

*wiggles dead fish*

"Here sharky, sharky, sharky. Good boy for taking out those Jehovah's Witnesses!"

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]. Since you bumped this one, can you tell me what exactly is a pseudo-intellectual? I'm guessing it was either everyone on the forum who isn't a licensed psychologist or someone who is arrogant and writes as if their opinions are always to be taken as facts.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Pseudo intellectuals are people who go around trying to impress people with their knowledge in order to make up for their lack of a more naturally developed worldview and reasoning facility. We've all met them. Those people whose every sentence includes a name-drop. Those people who bring esoteric topics/writers/philosophers/musicians up despite their lack of relevance to conversation. Those people whose wit is very clumsy, yet they insist on imposing it on every conversation (goddamn puns! They're not okay unless they're said ironically.) Those people who like to pontificate self-righteously and uselessly (and usually without having been asked), especially on topics related to motivation and living life (because they honestly believe that their sage-like wisdom is so valuable that it's their duty to spread it faster than a bad crotch-rash.)

There are more symptoms, but in all likelihood they'll be easy to identify. Many of them actually are professors, too. For fictional examples, you should consult any Woody Allen movie, because he loves to write in at least one pompous bastard pseudo intellectual to be hated by the audience.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are many ways something can be pseudo-intellectual. My primary idea of a pseudo-intellectual is someone who seeks knowledge so they can display it as a part of their facade.

An actual intellectual may happen to use a word that no one else in the room understands because it was the most accurate word for what they meant to say at the time.

A pseudo-intellectual uses a word knowing that no one else in the room will understand it so as to build their image.

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
There are many ways something can be pseudo-intellectual. My primary idea of a pseudo-intellectual is someone who seeks knowledge so they can display it as a part of their facade.

An actual intellectual may happen to use a word that no one else in the room understands because it was the most accurate word for what they meant to say at the time.

A pseudo-intellectual uses a word knowing that no one else in the room will understand it so as it build their image.

Normal Human: That man was an insufferable blusterer with antiquated ideas.

Pseudo Intellectual: Indeed, he may be the most invidious, antediluvian rodomontade I have ever heard.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]. Since you bumped this one, can you tell me what exactly is a pseudo-intellectual? I'm guessing it was either everyone on the forum who isn't a licensed psychologist or someone who is arrogant and writes as if their opinions are always to be taken as facts.

Pseudo intellectuals are people who go around trying to impress people with their knowledge in order to make up for their lack of a more naturally developed worldview and reasoning facility. We've all met them. Those people whose every sentence includes a name-drop. Those people who bring esoteric topics/writers/philosophers/musicians up despite their lack of relevance to conversation. Those people whose wit is very clumsy, yet they insist on imposing it on every conversation (goddamn puns! They're not okay unless they're said ironically.) Those people who like to pontificate self-righteously and uselessly (and usually without having been asked), especially on topics related to motivation and living life (because they honestly believe that their sage-like wisdom is so valuable that it's their duty to spread it faster than a bad crotch-rash.)

There are more symptoms, but in all likelihood they'll be easy to identify. Many of them actually are professors, too. For fictional examples, you should consult any Woody Allen movie, because he loves to write in at least one pompous bastard pseudo intellectual to be hated by the audience.

A pseudo-intellectual uses a word knowing that no one else in the room will understand it so as it build their image.

These are both decent definitions. Kind of hard to define, I think it's just a facade/ a persona. Lots of flamboyant speech etc. to sound a certain way- detracts from a normal conversation. And no, you don't have to have a psychology degree to have a genuine conversation about a topic. It's the people who care less about the subject matter and more about the way it appears when they talk about it. If ya know what I mean.

Learned the word in high school from a teacher who appeared to be a pseudo intellectual herself- she didn't define it- but I had an idea.