• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] pseudo intellectuals

krunchtime

Reading some Chompsky gave me a real distaste for "Intellectuals". I see these people everyday.

He basically says professors dress up simply concepts with complex language to try to give it more weight. A "barrier to entry" if you will.

I ran this through google and found The Fate of an Honest Intellectual lol. Its an interesting take - it happens when knowledge is no longer an end in itself, but as a means to power. I think that's a mistake all human communities cannot avoid making, since humans are politically driven animals. In all communities, an established power structure exists, and it is impossible to disturb the order, without having to bear the brunt. It doesn't matter whether you choose to do so by questioning them or acting belligerently. You'll get the same kind of response. This just reminds me that academia can get extremely political urgh.

Somewhere along the way, its a toss-up between deciding to do what's expedient or what you think is right. What is the payoff for denying x number of truths, just to get into a position which allows you to expose that one big lie? The best way to resolve this is to get so theoretical that nobody's interests are hurt whether you are right ot wrong.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Haha, I like how threads never end with a truly decisive answer to a question.

Are there pseudo-intellectuals on MBTIc?
Answer: Yes. Thread over.

Plus, it's not like a pseudo-intellectual is unable of contributing anything worthwhile. You'd be surprised to see the contrary to be more of the case.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn, I wanted to write it. But someone else already did.

So, BUMPED!

G

Ginkgo

I'm hardly one now but a year ago... I was exploding manic explosions over esoteric bullshit.

G

Ginkgo

...and maybe you're giving me some sub-par psychoanalysis because you misinterpreted this a petty attempt to put someone down rather than discussing it impersonally. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie pop? The world may never know. What I do know is that you are capable of writing a response with actual content, so that is what I expect.

Knight to C-3. :smoke:

Ah, a good point. Perhaps it is not a matter of intelligence, but knowledge. The offenders, then, are those who merely pretend to have the qualifying education and experience to make positive conclusions on the topic?

It is hard for me to say, seeing as I too do not know much about these topics, but through deductive reasoning even I can see flaws. I wonder if people who were more susceptible to deception might take it as reliable, then the perpetuation of accurate information suffers.

You are a demigod.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm hardly one now but a year ago... I was exploding manic explosions over esoteric bullshit.

I think my hope for this thread was just to make up a lot of silly "isms" and important sounding names and try to string them together to create new impressive looking sentences. (Because that's what I ended up doing as I drifted off to sleep last night.) :laugh:

Lark

I think my hope for this thread was just to make up a lot of silly "isms" and important sounding names and try to string them together to create new impressive looking sentences. (Because that's what I ended up doing as I drifted off to sleep last night.) :laugh:

There's something nice about the way this sentence is structured or ends. :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Honest question--am I the only one who sees a lot of them posting on MBTIc?

In my opinion a pseudo-intellectual is someone who attempts to wield arguments beyond the capabilities of their logical facilities. They are the 15-year-old who insists on driving a manual sports car... can't blame them for wanting to try, but I feel it is appropriate to point out that there are negative consequences of misrepresentation.

Discuss... and try to keep it polite, you or I could easily fall into this categorization. :smoke:

So that means: in Germany are 98% of the population intellectuals cause they all drive manual. That could explain why I feel so alone here, driving an automatic :D.

I find the op arrogant, hubristic, intolerant, dumb, insolent, young... basically all negative adverbs and adjectives availiable in my dictonary.

The op is the result of someone cankered by ambition to me.

G

Ginkgo

You win. Thanks for being you.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's something nice about the way this sentence is structured or ends. :)

End-Structurism was the mainstay of German life in 1792 after Henry Vanblootenguard single handedly robbed the Egyptians of their treplendous Canterfonden- (CLEARLY visible distinction in Egyptian philosophy today.) It's why I believe so much in the highly superior "bull-suaveism" so clearly lacking in the 21st century. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you clearly haven't understood any of Vanblootenguard's early writings.

S

Sniffles

End-Structurism was the mainstay of German life in 1792 after Henry Vanblootenguard single handedly robbed the Egyptians of their treplendous Canterfonden- (CLEARLY visible distinction in Egyptian philosophy today.) It's why I believe so much in the highly superior "bull-suaveism" so clearly lacking in the 21st century. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you clearly haven't understood any of Vanblootenguard's early writings.

I think you're talking about Hegel. :laugh:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yim_rolling_on_the_
lol!
INTP Vs INTJ

INTP - X equals Y+Z, which means Z=X-Y, etc
INTJ - You misspelled this.
Like we don't do the same with them. ;) Even though changing their mind is quite a big challenge. :thinking:

Lark

This reads like Victorism.

rav3n

The term intellectual is a bizarre one, with all its connotations. Forget the silly terms and just enjoy knowledge or not.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't care if there are to be honest. I'm not even an intellectual so how can i be a fake one?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The term intellectual is a bizarre one, with all its connotations. Forget the silly terms and just enjoy knowledge or not.

Yeah, a lot said with a few words here. I don't understand it as a lifestyle. It sounds no different than keeping up with the Joneses, except knowledge wise.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reading some Chompsky gave me a real distaste for "Intellectuals". I see these people everyday.

He basically says professors dress up simply concepts with complex language to try to give it more weight. A "barrier to entry" if you will.

Yes. This is my reason for hating philosophy, the majority of philosophers, and philosophy majors most of all. They should all die in a fire.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. This is my reason for hating philosophy, the majority of philosophers, and philosophy majors most of all. They should all die in a fire.

Don't kill philosophy! It's an easy GPA boost. They should just have a whole section in colleges called "easy GPA boost" to tell you that though you won't apply it on the job, it does have some use getting through college. People who major in philosophy just like high GPA's. Can't fault them for that.

rav3n

Yeah, a lot said with a few words here. I don't understand it as a lifestyle. It sounds no different than keeping up with the Joneses, except knowledge wise.
I suppose you can spin this off to generalised terms of hoarding, whether material objects or intangibles. The human condition is insecurity which is fear manifested. Everyone hoards to some degree, in order to control the uncontrollable in the form of uncontrollable offset or direct control which includes competitive advantage, a clawing upwards for the right to survive.