• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ATTN NTs: how do YOU feel about partying/clubbing/raving and recreational drug-taking

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I love alcohol, but I don't drink often. I'll usually pass on it just because. But when I do drink, I like to get completely plastered.

Other than that, I don't do drugs. Seems too easy to get carried away. I've never even smoked.

But I love dancing at a show. I'm a questionable dancer, but I don't give a damn.

Dooraven

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
Drugs? No thanks, but if anyone wants to take them be my guest, you're only hurting yourself unless its like Marijuana or Tobacco where second hand smoke exists.

But partying and loud music I'm usually fine with so long as you don't ask me to go.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
It sounds awfully draining. That being said, it also sounds too hedonistic to be pleasant. Pretending to enjoy myself is not itself enjoyable. As for things that could alter my brain chemistry as many drugs do, I'll pass. I prefer to function as I normally do.

Clubbing/Dancing is too out of my element. I have a standard domain for good reason.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm very interested to know what other NTs make of going out and dancing to loud music in any atmosphere, and/or taking/experimenting with recreational drugs in any environment. What are you opinions on these matters?

Going out and dancing to loud music:
This is something that I avoid. The only circumstance that I can see myself doing this is if I were to be going out *with someone* as a couple. And even then, a loud club atmosphere wouldn't be my first choice. Even when I'm with a group of people, that sort of atmosphere really bothers me - I feel isolated and overwhelmed. My reaction is to clam up, close in, and wait things out (the earliest I can find a socially acceptable excuse to leave). I don't think this has much to do with being an NT, though. Much more of an introvert thing, combined with the fact that I have trouble distinguishing between noises, and I can't even have a conversation in such environments. Even at parties at friends' houses I tend to go to a relatively quiet room and just chat (or listen) with a small, selected group of people.

Experimental/Recreational drugs:
I would not partake in either under any circumstances whatsoever (this is another reason I don't enjoy clubs). It doesn't bother me when others drink alcohol (as long as they're not sloppy drunk - like most other non-drinkers I have little patience for that), but I wouldn't tolerate being in the presence of other recreational drug use. I'd just leave - although to be honest, the circumstance hasn't ever come up, and isn't likely to - I'm old enough that I'd have seen it by now. I have a really big bias against mind-altering substances (legitimate medical uses excepted, of course) - relinquishing control of my thoughts to a chemical - just not going to happen.

Dooraven

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
THC in marijuana has many documented health benefits. The problems stem from tar inhaled when smoked. There are safer methods like inhaling vapor. I think it should be as legal as tobacco or alcohol. Controlled, legal and taxed. Health benefits + billions in tax revenue alone are reason to consider it.

If some people choose the pot head lifestyle they will not amount to much in life but these people probably already smoke it, if not pot it would be something else. In moderation I don't see why it would be a problem. Legalizing only the vapor form would virtually eliminating health problems because people are lazy, esp pot smokers, and taking the path of least resistance would use the vapor.

Other drugs should remain illegal.

I agree with you there but the problem I have for Marijuana legalization is the second hand smoke it produces (and Tobacco too). I'd be fine like if we had "pubs" for Marijuana and Tobacco. Smoke in there all you want but don't bring it out to the streets where people who don't anything to do with this stuff are very likely going to inhale it (one of the big reasons I'm against Tobacco smoking in the streets). If you want to smoke or take drugs be my guest, but not at the expense of others.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm very interested to know what other NTs make of going out and dancing to loud music in any atmosphere, and/or taking/experimenting with recreational drugs in any environment. What are you opinions on these matters?

More in the last few months than before, I've seen myself becoming involved in these kind of activities more extensively (although I've indulged in them for quite a few years). My first thoughts were that this was impossible for an ENTJ, and I must be an ESTP or something. Then I realised that this was a stupid train of thought, and that any type can engage in this sort of behaviour. (Plus, due to the NT's highly analytical nature, I doubt I'd be thinking in this way and posting here about this if I weren't an NT.) Then it struck me that there might be a kind of general trend amongst NTs and this behaviour... or there might not be. This is why I'm posting this thread; to find out what you guys make of these attitudes to life (because as well as being activities, I think they entail a lot more than just involving yourself in certain behaviour. For many (although I'm not sure it is for me), these kinds of things can be life-changing, especially drugs).

Love it, I usually don't really like clubs, cause, like people already said, they tend to be similar. But I love going to raves and parties, preferably while FUBAR on drugs.

I very, very much like to experiment with altered perceptions. Different drugs teach me different things, and I have definitely gained insights from drugs. Parties also provide me with a break from the usual. In my youth I have always been a house-mouse and wasn't really interested in all that stuff. But now I realize that there are ways to have fun when you get off your computer sometimes.

I had great times, tripping on LSD while walking over the Sziget festival, or going to a GOA party high on XTC.

Drunk people are actually way more annoying and dangerous then people on drugs. A drunk will look at his car and say "I can still drive this!", while someone on LSD will say "Hey, how does this thing work again? I can't drive this I'm tripping balls, I'll kill someone." Drunks can also be more aggressive and less thoughtful. A friend of mine once accidentally got pushed by a guy who was clearly tripping on LSD, my friends beer fell out of his hand and the glass broke, without a doubt the tripping guy offered his own beer in return and excused himself. I haven't ever seen a drunk guy that considerate.

NOTE:

I am careful about what substances and how much I take. I exercise as much quality and dosage control as I can with illegal drugs, and I make sure I know the risks. And while I like to experiment with drugs, I don't actually want to die in a puddle of my own vomit, yet. I don't think anybody should go by my experiences and try drugs because of them, I think people should come to the conclusion themselves that drugs are not necessarily a bad thing and that they want to try that. If the entire world population would be on shrooms and xtc we would not even have war, people would work together and everybody would be empathetic to each other. That being said I think that drugs prohibition is a stupid law and should not be adhered to. Drugs are better for the population then politicians are. Defy the system.

Do you think the doors are real ones, or just ones that were created during the drug experience itself and might not exist outside of it? Do you have an example of one particular "new route" your mind took? (Just curious.)

Shrooms: "Holy fuck, nothing is definite, perception is everything. We define our own reality and it is impossible to find answers to life's questions, but if we set our minds to it, we can find solutions to life's problems."

XTC: "If I start caring about something I can make a bigger impact, good or bad, then if I ignore it."

LSD: "Everything is awesome"

Salvia: "... :shock:"

Alcohol: "Hey I actually talk to people now. Look, it even pays of! Maybe I should do this more often, and also when I'm sober."

Marijuana: "Better then sleeping pills." (I'm not a hugh fan of marijuana)

Ironically, I feel most lonely while out dancing and partying. Especially if my friends abandon me in order to mingle. That, and you don't get much intellectual stimulation. The closeness of other people is an invasion of my privacy (I'm a guy. I imagine it's worse for girls). There are frequent interruptions, like people brushing against you, so you can't even daydream properly. The music played is so formulaic that there's not much to analyze. In short, raves/clubs are my idea of hell.

On drugs... Taking drugs is like playing with fire. Fun, exhilarating, and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. My personal philosophy is that of harm reduction: do research before trying anything out, and make sure you have someone babysitting you. (This advice is especially applicable to alcohol, since it's so widely used and abused.)

I'll start by saying that I am not a very strong introvert (see the part about the realisation I had with alcohol) I think that may play a part. I used to be intimidated at clubs and parties also, but more recently I figured that it doesn't matter. Nothing is lost if you just dance and listen to the music. In fact, it may be formulaic, but if you know something about a specific genre you do tend to pick up the details and appreciate them. Hell. I laugh at people who say they don't like a musical piece because it's 'jazz' or 'classical'. I'll rant to them that 'jazz' and 'classical' are not specific genres of music, but rather ideas, general terms that are divided into genres. Afterwards I'm usually able to find a piece that that person in particular likes, eventhough he doesn't like the 'genre'.

Electronic music is no different. I could easily point out the differences between Limewax, Pendulum and Black Sun Empire, eventhough it's all called drum and bass. And the same goes for every other music genre.

*Waits for a comment from someone calling shimmy another type rather then INTP, thinking in advance, if they mention something other then INTP or ENTP they're wrong.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Clubbing can be a lot of fun, but I don't do it all the time. It's a great way of getting out some stress.

I'm not into recreational drugs.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been thinkin about this... hmmm, okay, that seems to be my attitude towards it, experience and think/analyse. So far it seems that most people go there to hook up with a random person based on mostly looks, to spend time with someone they've already hooked up with, or to follow someone that is doing one of the above things. Then there are people who are really into the atmosphere, music and dance, who know every song they play and can dance like a pro and love the attention of the crowd. If you're not doin any of those things, then you're probably not gonna be at a club.

I don't tend to enjoy clubbing at all, it means that you have to conform to the expectations of others. Like, I don't really care for their music, and I really don't want to stand around a look pretty for everyone else in silence. I try to talk to people, but every time I try, it's full of "WHAT!?!" and eventually my voice breaks down. It's much better when you get to someone's house and have an actual conversation with friends.

I don't mind alcohol, I'll drink plenty and it really does make dancing easier. It's definitely better at a party than a club. As for drugs and smoking, a majority of the people at my workplace are smoking and/or on drugs. I avoid the smoking places, but it means I can't socialize with the smokers much. I'm never gonna do either, I have friends who do it, and have done it in my presence, but we've agreed that it's alright so long as I'm not influenced into participating. One of my other friends is actually scared of this kind of thing, even just hanging around potheads is taboo, his attitude pisses me off a little... it's those enneagram 1 expectations. You hear that all you ones out there!?!

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been thinkin about this... hmmm, okay, that seems to be my attitude towards it, experience and think/analyse. So far it seems that most people go there to hook up with a random person based on mostly looks, to spend time with someone they've already hooked up with, or to follow someone that is doing one of the above things. Then there are people who are really into the atmosphere, music and dance, who know every song they play and can dance like a pro and love the attention of the crowd. If you're not doin any of those things, then you're probably not gonna be at a club.

I don't tend to enjoy clubbing at all, it means that you have to conform to the expectations of others. Like, I don't really care for their music, and I really don't want to stand around a look pretty for everyone else in silence. I try to talk to people, but every time I try, it's full of "WHAT!?!" and eventually my voice breaks down. It's much better when you get to someone's house and have an actual conversation with friends.

I don't mind alcohol, I'll drink plenty and it really does make dancing easier. It's definitely better at a party than a club. As for drugs and smoking, a majority of the people at my workplace are smoking and/or on drugs. I avoid the smoking places, but it means I can't socialize with the smokers much. I'm never gonna do either, I have friends who do it, and have done it in my presence, but we've agreed that it's alright so long as I'm not influenced into participating. One of my other friends is actually scared of this kind of thing, even just hanging around potheads is taboo, his attitude pisses me off a little... it's those enneagram 1 expectations. You hear that all you ones out there!?!

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm not much of a club-hopper. I tried it once and it was exhausting... I much prefer bars. I'm not much of a dancer (and I'm pretty horrible at it) and there's too many people running behind me trying to grind. Ick, nast. I'll pass. Now bars... I can do bars. Sitting down and having a meaningful conversation seems nice. And it really bothers me when people do drugs infront of me. It tends to happen often since I live in SoCal, I don't know... Snorting powdered substances up my nose does not seem like much fun--I want to remember the experience. I'm a party-pooper, no recreational drugs please--including marijuana. Do not want.

I do want to try going to an oxygen bar though :3 seems like it'll be an interesting experience.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Alcohol: "Hey I actually talk to people now. Look, it even pays of! Maybe I should do this more often, and also when I'm sober."

From a great post in general.

This specific quote from it is really funny from my introvert perspective and comparing to how I am when I am buzzed (when I do drink I am told I am usually a happy drunk) Classic Shimmy!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do want to try going to an oxygen bar though :3 seems like it'll be an interesting experience.

Ihavn't been to an oxygen bar but at one point I got my hands on my aviator's oxygen tank (between 99 and 98% oxygen). Not a buzz per se, yet quite nice and relaxing and healthy feeling. Also kinda funny taking a big hit of pure oxygen and seeing how long you can hold your breath (i.e. much longer than normal)

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
definitely no drugs, I couldn't handle that much of a loss of control of my thoughts and perception and stuff

But I lub lub lub partying and drinking and going all Se on the universe. I l don't think the partying thing is all that type related

indiajones

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like to go out and have fun. But before and after I am always contemplating the consequences of drinking etc. and other stupid stuff people do when they party. I like to dance to make a fool of myself and embarass my friends... My number one thing is I don't like to give over control of myself, so drugs are certainly out of the question... most of the time.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
THC in marijuana has many documented health benefits. The problems stem from tar inhaled when smoked. There are safer methods like inhaling vapor. I think it should be as legal as tobacco or alcohol. Controlled, legal and taxed. Health benefits + billions in tax revenue alone are reason to consider it.

[. . .]

Other drugs should remain illegal.

Personally, I agree with the progressive ideas of drug rooms. Outright banning of anything does nothing, because there will always be a market, and if governments want to do something about a national issue, they need to control that market in the most effective way possible. Drug rooms basically limit usage to specific rooms throughout a country (probably easier done in the UK than in the US), and in places where everyone there actually wants to do it.

I think all smoking should be illegal in public places, including the streets. As a social smoker, I say this on principle. Smoking in your own home, fair enough (as long as you don't have kids around for which you should be responsible). Marijuana should follow the same principle.

As per E, that's a difficult one. The times I've enjoyed it most are when I've been at raves, and while I can trust myself to be sensible with it, I can't really trust others to be. I have met many people who I can trust absolutely - they are normally of the mindset similar to mine. But some people just by pills willy-nilly, having no idea what's in them, then taking them. And then things start to fuck up, especially if people around you are so fucked themselves they can't hear you going "water", and then you dehydrate.

I had great times, tripping on LSD while walking over the Sziget festival, or going to a GOA party high on XTC.

Oh that's cool did you go to Goa or was it just like a Goa-themed party?

If the entire world population would be on shrooms and xtc we would not even have war, people would work together and everybody would be empathetic to each other.
We also wouldn't function properly and would inevitably die out. When have you wanted to plough fields when on any drug? When have you wanted to make a decent, filling meal for yourself and those under your care? When have you wanted to exercise?

I could easily point out the differences between Limewax, Pendulum and Black Sun Empire, eventhough it's all called drum and bass.
Arguably they're different genres. Hardstep, techstep, darkstep, trancestep, clownstep, neurofunk, liquid funk, IDB, drill n' bass, darkcore, breakcore... - it's all drum and bass, yes, but then Venetian Snares is breakcore, while Danny Byrd is more aptly neurofunk, and Evol Intent is a mix of pretty much everything badass.

In my eyes it's all bullshit and I prefer to steer clear of genres altogether and just enjoy good music. I actively delete pre-existing genres when organising my iTunes. People say "oooh, Chase & Status/Pendulum have gone all mainstream and shit THIS ISN'T EVEN DNB - WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD SKOOL SHIT!!!!????" (sometimes I've even heard them say "bring back jungle!!!!" or something ridiculous because they're living a decade and a half into the past) because they have a evolving, developed sound and sound fuck all like Ed Rush & Optical. The reason they do this is because they categorise all these artists in their head into different genres, and when they do something that sounds slightly different, they take major issue with it, because they don't know how to adapt.

That was a rant. :D

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Personally, I agree with the progressive ideas of drug rooms. Outright banning of anything does nothing, because there will always be a market, and if governments want to do something about a national issue, they need to control that market in the most effective way possible. Drug rooms basically limit usage to specific rooms throughout a country (probably easier done in the UK than in the US), and in places where everyone there actually wants to do it.

I think all smoking should be illegal in public places, including the streets. As a social smoker, I say this on principle. Smoking in your own home, fair enough (as long as you don't have kids around for which you should be responsible). Marijuana should follow the same principle.

As per E, that's a difficult one. The times I've enjoyed it most are when I've been at raves, and while I can trust myself to be sensible with it, I can't really trust others to be. I have met many people who I can trust absolutely - they are normally of the mindset similar to mine. But some people just by pills willy-nilly, having no idea what's in them, then taking them. And then things start to fuck up, especially if people around you are so fucked themselves they can't hear you going "water", and then you dehydrate.

Oh that's cool did you go to Goa or was it just like a Goa-themed party?

We also wouldn't function properly and would inevitably die out. When have you wanted to plough fields when on any drug? When have you wanted to make a decent, filling meal for yourself and those under your care? When have you wanted to exercise?

Arguably they're different genres. Hardstep, techstep, darkstep, trancestep, clownstep, neurofunk, liquid funk, IDB, drill n' bass, darkcore, breakcore... - it's all drum and bass, yes, but then Venetian Snares is breakcore, while Danny Byrd is more aptly neurofunk, and Evol Intent is a mix of pretty much everything badass.

In my eyes it's all bullshit and I prefer to steer clear of genres altogether and just enjoy good music. I actively delete pre-existing genres when organising my iTunes. People say "oooh, Chase & Status/Pendulum have gone all mainstream and shit THIS ISN'T EVEN DNB - WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD SKOOL SHIT!!!!????" (sometimes I've even heard them say "bring back jungle!!!!" or something ridiculous because they're living a decade and a half into the past) because they have a evolving, developed sound and sound fuck all like Ed Rush & Optical. The reason they do this is because they categorise all these artists in their head into different genres, and when they do something that sounds slightly different, they take major issue with it, because they don't know how to adapt.

That was a rant. :D

I pretty much agree with your points on drugs.

No, it was a Goa themed party, with goa and psy-trance as the style of music for that weekend. I'd love to go to Goa one day though.

I organise my musical collection in the genres that I'm able to distinguish from one another, this way it's easier for me to find back music. For instance, there are 6 artists within the genre of "punk rock", eventhough The Velvet Underground and The Offspring have very little in common, but my jazz collection is devided in Fusion, Nu-Jazz, Free Jazz, Acid Jazz, Cool Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Jazz, Swing and Bebop (haven't made the distinction with Hard-Bop). But like you said, I divided this in my head, and realize that to most other people there is hardly any difference between most of the genre's I mentioned.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't do it, but if you're going to, that is your choice. If you die of an overdose, that's your fault. Just take into account that your poor descisions will affect you for the rest of your life, and weigh the short term gains with the long-term problems. If you choose stupidly, I won't stop you from doing what you want for the time being.

However, if you are addicted and clearly are in need of assistance, I'll probably tell somebody about your problem.

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No drugs ever, not worth it. Drinking is fine as long I don't pass out, if drunk, in pretty controlled environment (friends, not in clubs by my own).

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Never been clubbing but I'm 18 in 3 weeks and living in the west end of glasgow so that will prob change!

I've been to quite a few gigs and love the whole get down the front in the crush jumping like mental! Its fun pissed or sober but I normally also have Red Rooster - a high caffine and sugar drink - either way! I don't mind dancing and going mental at a party if theres music other than that then not really!

Drugs?

I drink sometimes seems pointless so I stop sometimes really fun so I keep going depends on the mood. Tried what my mate said was hash once but turns out he made it wrong. Would try it in a controlled enviroment. I want to try LSD as well but definatly only in a controlled enviroment, main reason is the story of how it was discovered! I think I need to try it and get a phd before I can really call myself a mad scientist!