• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTxs - do you do better in one on one interaction or a group forum?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm great one on one up to about a 6 person group.

Beyond that, I begin to feel like my voice is lost among the crowd unless I'm in a situation where everyone has to listen to me (like in a court room).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm great one on one up to about a 6 person group.

Beyond that, I begin to feel like my voice is lost among the crowd unless I'm in a situation where everyone has to listen to me (like in a court room).

Same.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am much better in small groups/121s when I can be calm and focused, group situations seem to bring out an end of my character that is a bit overly extrovert/competatively loud... which I don't enjoy being - it can be good fun or just show offy

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Although, as I age, I've found that my ability to perform at my best is hindered less and less by the number of people in the group.

My leadership skills (while stagnant for a long time) have recently begun to progress geometrically.

Hopefully soon I will be able to work a room the way the ENFJ's do!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I am much better in small groups/121s when I can be calm and focused, group situations seem to bring out an end of my character that is a bit overly extrovert/competatively loud... which I don't enjoy being - it can be good fun or just show offy

Sounds familiar. I also notice that it gets harder to keep up with the conversation as easily when my brain can't engage, since it's less just saying things and more trying to do things with them. Too much Ti-Fe in the larger settings, I think.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Smaller groups but not too small of a group. With larger groups I am just constantly bouncing around between people trying to talk to everybody (well almost everybody) and it becomes difficult

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
One on one I am more confessional and intimate.

I enjoy 3-6 people because then I can make a lot of jokes.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I swing between what DB said and what Twinkle said.

It's very difficult when I get all that energy off being around a lot of people (depending who they are, but assuming they're reasonably responsive), to contain it - it's very easy to get carried away by it and behave in a way I don't like but feel powerless to stop.

But with the passing years I'm getting better at controlling that, and when I do and I behave myself well, I do enjoy being around bigger groups. I like one on one though, too.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
One on one I am more confessional and intimate.

I enjoy 3-6 people because then I can make a lot of jokes.

Same. I do especially well if I know the 3-6 people fairly well.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
sometimes I feel like it's easier with people I don't know well...

people I know well (or think I do) tend to think they know me well. often, they do. but just as often, they know the person I used to be very well, but have no realization that I've moved on, changed my views and opinions since then and am essentially a slightly different person. I feel trapped by their outdated perceptions of me.

with strangers, I can be who I am now, without feeling pressured to sorta play a part of a person I'm not any more. that's quite liberating.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Better? What does that mean?

It depends entirely on if I'm enjoying the company or not. One on one can be painful if there are no interesting points of connection and larger groups can be boring if the conversation doesn't grab my attention, if they're the options I'd go with the group though, so I can stay on the side and observe. If I'm enjoying the company then there are times one on one is preferable and times when I'd rather be in a group.

MstrJ

MBTI Type
ENTJ
PRECISELY. ENTJs are endowed with the marvelous gift of breadth. Pure ENTJs master subjects, disciplines, and areas of knowledge with swiftness and resolution. Pure ENTJs also move on very quickly once they have mastered anything.

I have witnessed many informal acquaintances and earlier stage friends get extremely insecure with the positive changes in my life. While I have left most behind, I still see some at common locations, and it can be amusingly awkward for them, and it affects the quality of our interaction because their reality had just changed. People that don't know us from the past (the us that is no more) see the real us (today) and it is easier to be ourselves.

I used to enjoy one on one interactions and deliberately carved a career to make this a focal point of my service. In our casual conversation with a new person, I usually bring up a simple menu of topics to see if people have something interesting to add to. However, after initiating and interacting with hundreds of thousands of people, I realized that many people just drift through life without ever evolving or seeking knowledge and betterment. I can count on one hand the number of people that have stimulating ideas and thoughts. I still do my best to accommodate for individual differences, but it feels like there's nothing to say anymore. I almost always know right away that I am speaking to an idealist (NF) or conceptualizer (NT) on the rare occasions where I share an enlightened conversation with someone. With other types, the disconnect is imminent within a few sentences and immediately short-circuited.

I sometimes wonder if all ENTJs feel this way... That it is all the same in the end. ENTJs are known to dislike going through the motions because that happens at a stage when the ENTJ has mastered something... yet that's what ends up happening anyway...

sometimes I feel like it's easier with people I don't know well...

people I know well (or think I do) tend to think they know me well. often, they do. but just as often, they know the person I used to be very well, but have no realization that I've moved on, changed my views and opinions since then and am essentially a slightly different person. I feel trapped by their outdated perceptions of me.

with strangers, I can be who I am now, without feeling pressured to sorta play a part of a person I'm not any more. that's quite liberating.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I feel good with 1 to 180 person situations. More people, no experience.

Of course I've been at events with much more participating, and it's cool, but I haven't participated too publicly in any of those. I mean, the largest crowd I've given a presentation for, was a group of some 180 people.