• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJ or INTP?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Fair enough. Would you describe yourself as highly introverted? I'm thinking maybe INTP who leans more on tertiary Si than on secondary Ne for you, at this point. You do seem exceptionally internally organized, but you have a sense of practicality and a distaste for imprecision and whimsy that strikes me as kind of Ti+Si.

Wait a second... how would you even begin to fathom my internal organization if you've only seen me externally?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait a second... how would you even begin to fathom my internal organization if you've only seen me externally?

I'm just taking your word for it when I read your posts on this thread. Your self-descriptions seem very Ti, and you agreed with my description of a strictly organized internal thought process. Obviously my analysis is wrong if the information you've provided about yourself is inaccurate.

I thought there were few members here (Costring? Matthew_Z?) who were indecisive whether they are INTP or ISTJs... am I mistaken?

Every then and now I ask myself, if I'm an ISTJ... and why wouldn't I be an INTP instead. Every test I've taken has given me a result of ISTJ (except one gave me IxTJ). But yet I don't feel particularly ISTJish. I mean I strongly dislike organizations, religions, military, traditions and formalities.

So, INTPs, what made you think you were ISTJs over INTPs?

And, ISTJs, what made you think you were INTPs over ISTJs?

It's a hugely popular misconception that Si is into religious/military/family traditions. Many Si users are involved in these things, but more often they're motivated by Fe (which, as an STJ, you don't have) and its desire to integrate into the social and moral fabric of its community.

I find that this is one big difference between SFJs and STJs--STJs are far less interested in social tradition for its own sake. Si doesn't stick to tradition out of any particular moral allegiance to it, but rather because it's what we've always done in the past so it's safe and therefore minimizes risk most effectively. It's not that trying something different would be immoral, just that the results would be unpredictable so it's typically best to stick to what we know for sure.

Your Te probably shows itself more in the form of strong desire for independence and self-reliance, and an emphasis on applying soundly consistent methodology that produces direct results. Some ISTJs are really into family tradition and so on out of tertiary Fi, but many just don't see that as that big a concern. I would guess that you're one of them.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Si (dominant function for ISTJ/ISFJ and secondary for ESTJ/ESFJ) remembers the real details of past experiences in much greater depth than other types, which results in some amazing photographic memory and capacity for memorization of unevaluated data. (Si doesn't actually make decisions though; it just stores all this raw sensory information for future reference so that it can be most prepared when the time for a decision comes.)
That vastly differs from the Introverted Sensing Jung (Socionics, as well) spoke of ....

MZ is so LII.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm just taking your word for it when I read your posts on this thread. Your self-descriptions seem very Ti, and you agreed with my description of a strictly organized internal thought process. Obviously my analysis is wrong if the information you've provided about yourself is inaccurate.

Ah, but I've only provided a fraction of who I am in this thread, the ISTJ-ish part. There's more to me than precision, but it is a very effective way to get the job done.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, but I've only provided a fraction of who I am in this thread, the ISTJ-ish part. There's more to me than precision, but it is a very effective way to get the job done.

Well, feel free to continue providing more information. My impression of your type may change as you make the picture more complete.

That vastly differs from the Introverted Sensing Jung (Socionics, as well) spoke of ....

I don't know much (or care much) about Socionics. As for Jung, source/context please?

MZ is so LII.

Which is virtually the same thing as INTP. Sounds like we agree.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Which is virtually the same thing as INTP. Sounds like we agree.
Not really.

Function definitions differ greatly (specifically Si, Se, Te).

I was referring to Jung's description of Introverted Sensation in "Psychological Types." There's some site out there that has the descriptions.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
MZ is so LII.
Most Socionics tests I've taken put me as LII or LSI, also with SLI as a possible type.

Of course, I realize tests aren't the definitive source for typing.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not really.

Function definitions differ greatly (specifically Si, Se, Te).

I was referring to Jung's description of Introverted Sensation in "Psychological Types." There's some site out there that has the descriptions.

No, they don't really. They just restate the same ideas in a little bit different terminology and the ultimate end result is pretty similar.

The only real difference is the P/J labeling thing for introverts...and I actually find MBTI's system superior in that regard.

My function definitions come from a combination of Jung and Lenore Thompson...MBTI doesn't even say too much about functions in the first place.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'd like to see Habba's response on this issue.

Perseus

MBTI Type
INTP
I thought there were few members here (Costring? Matthew_Z?) who were indecisive whether they are INTP or ISTJs... am I mistaken?

Every then and now I ask myself, if I'm an ISTJ... and why wouldn't I be an INTP instead. Every test I've taken has given me a result of ISTJ (except one gave me IxTJ). But yet I don't feel particularly ISTJish. I mean I strongly dislike organizations, religions, military, traditions and formalities.

So, INTPs, what made you think you were ISTJs over INTPs?

And, ISTJs, what made you think you were INTPs over ISTJs?

My P-N says you are INTJ using the Perseus System. An ISTJ simply would not ask such a question.

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
Because I'm not really looking for my own type, but to hear what these INTP-ISTJ people have to say. INTP <-> ISTJ is a big jump, but still some people seem to be uncertain which one they are. I've noticed that this pair is more common than any other possible pair of types. Well, ENFP <-> ISTJ is a common pair too, but that can be explained with the shadow personality.

From your badge, you're somewhere near the borderline of S and N. Which would explain your roundabouts a little.
Why not just be who you are and not worry about what type you belong in?
Some people have traits of two personality types, because people aren't always black and white. While some might perceive this as decisive indecisiveness, I think it just might mean you're more adaptable to different personality types. :) And that is not a bad thing in any way.