• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does anyone get these strange feelings?

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Some examples:

Sometimes when I see video footage of Latin America, for instance, I have this strange feeling and an image in my head of a Latin American street and I feel a very peculiar emotiont that I can't describe. Whenever I think about America in the 1980's, with cramped hotel rooms and gray suits and things like that I also get that feeling, although it's different every location and place. I grew up in the Soviet Union so it's not nostalgia because I've never experienced it. I don't know how to describe it.

Sometimes I'm standing on the street and I see a person and that person triggers something inside me that gets this rush of strange, inexplicable emotions that I can't describe.

I sometimes do a thing where I think of something, then I think of the fact that I thought of that, and then I keep "thinking" about what I just thought until I realize I've been doing it for a while, and then I "think" that, and there isn't any limits to this because the mind doesn't really have any limitations, and then when I "think" about that, it goes even depeer and deeper.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I get those feelings about England and I've never been there. I used to have feelings like that about the West coast and surrounding desert way before I ever moved there, or even visited there. It's part of the reason why I decided to move out there.

shadowself17

MBTI Type
IN?P
Oh wow, I never knew anyone else experienced this. I know exactly what you mean. It's this sort of unexplainable rush of feelings that are triggered by some person, place or thing, and you can't quite put your finger on it... it's not necessarily a bad feeling, though. It's almost as though you were somehow familiar with these things in a previous life, as irrational as that sounds, it's the best I can describe it in my tired state right now.

I have that same feeling about England as well, marmalade. I also felt that way when I visited Martha's Vineyard, MA- it was as if I had been there my whole life. Even weirder, it was exactly like I had imagined the setting of a story I was writing at the time, even though I had no idea what MA was like when I made it up. I think it may be a form of dejavu (or however it's spelled), but that still doesn't explain the Martha's Vineyard phenomenon. I guess it was just a coincidence.

I've gotten the same feeling with people as well, it's not necessarily attraction, just this sort of... odd familiarity. Perhaps they resemble someone who I knew before and I'm subconsciously linking them to that person. Dunno.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Think I felt like that one day when I ate some mushrooms.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

sculpting

sorry I get bizarre feelings everyday, especially when I look at live oak trees and clouds so I may be useless.

But maybe this is some weird Ni thing? It is recognizing the symbolism in the things around you, connects them for you, but since it isnt your primary function, it feels really odd and sort of crops up at strange times?

Maybe certain symbols have stuck in our brains due to the strong emotional content at the time the memory was formed, and thus evoke this Ni symbolism more strongly. For instance, the best way to teach a toddler a new phrase is to attach a strong emotional context to the phase.

Such as yelling "god damned mother fucker" to another car in traffic. Ah yes, it took almost 8 months for that phase to go away....

Just my guesses though.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I do have them as well, but usually when I think of a book I have read. Each book has left a specific combiantion of emotions within me, which I cannot describe.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I think that everyone gets these sort of feelings every once in a while. It's may just be more more refreshing and noticeable to the people who don't experience it often.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I'm the same way, especially with big cities. Ever since I was three or four
being the earliest I can remember, I always had this feeling I couldn't explain
that I was meant to see a few of them. Those daydreams opened up many
things that changed my outlook on life in so many ways like reading challeng-
ing books, learning different languages and to write in them, singing...acting
(even though I never really did anything with it) because those were things
you learned about people doing there. I realized I was smarter than people
gave me credit for (myself included) but that if I was strong enough to stick
with those things even if others had doubts or if it didn't look like there was
any place to do them where I lived other as a passtime then I was strong en-
ough to change things going on in my life or for those around me. The song
Defying Gravity always gives me chills because like Elphaba trying to free all
of the talking Animals my cause would be people not having to be defined by
their reputation, talents or intellect and people that really don't seem to care
about any of those things not having to be treated like imbeciles that get
walked all over to pick up everybody else's slack.

dividend

MBTI Type
INTJ
What a strange thing to hear someone else describe. I get those feelings too. Strongest ever was when I went to Zihuatanejo, Mexico. It's a connective emotion that feels like a close cousin of nostalgia, but because it's not it's an oddly inappropriate emotional reaction. And I knew my way around instinctively. When I came home I was homesick for the place, even though it wasn't my home.

StoryToTell

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
Spot on. When I listen to John Frusciante's album Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T Shirt, for example, I get this odd feeling that I've finally named "dirt nostalgia." It feels like I've physically been to the places the music has taken me but forgotten all about it, and all that's left is a little smudged-up residue.