• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Convincing someone that they are not an INTP

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So my friend keeps insisting she is an INTP, I keep saying I really don't think she is, she claims to like logic and numbers, but the only reason for this is because she's a pharmacy major. I remember beginning of the school year her freaking out cuz of math and science classes, and her mentioning how she'd cheat to get by in high school, and I remember her in my algebra 2 class and her being confused while I'd get it like *snaps fingers* that.

She took the long version of the test (500 question one that's official) and got INTP but I really don't think she is but she won't budge. Based purely on the fact it was the long version and her major.

So am I right to doubt her? I mean hell in the right mood I'd test an INTP.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So my friend keeps insisting she is an INTP, I keep saying I really don't think she is, she claims to like logic and numbers, but the only reason for this is because she's a pharmacy major. I remember beginning of the school year her freaking out cuz of math and science classes, and her mentioning how she'd cheat to get by in high school, and I remember her in my algebra 2 class and her being confused while I'd get it like *snaps fingers* that.

She took the long version of the test (500 question one that's official) and got INTP but I really don't think she is but she won't budge. Based purely on the fact it was the long version and her major.

I think she sounds like an ISxJ, possibly an ISFJ. Pharmaceutical careers don't usually appeal to INTP's more than any other career, or less to any other type.

When you say 500 question one that's "official," do you mean the MBTI instrument itself? That would be strange for it to return that result in her case though... had she taken the test after she already learned about MBTI? That would have skewed her results.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yea I think ISFJ, but she refuses to accept being an F. what is it with Fs not wanting to be Fs?

I showed her the ISTJ profile and she thought that it sounded a lot like her.

I'm not sure she went to bed I'll find out next time she's online (we go to school in different states).

My other friend also took it with her and he got INTP and he is an INTP I mean for him I was torn between ISTP and INTP but they are both very good friends but I've watch them both approach the world and it's very different.

Also she tends to get close to people and with out realizing it and imitating their beliefs. Like if you believe something she will often go along with whatever you believe. I don't mean that she can't think for herself,it's more of that she doesn't feel comfortable thinking for her self. She told me yesterday that she found it easier to go with the group where I said I found it really hard for me to just to go along with anyone, I have to know why and understand why I should believe what everyone else believes. And "because everyone else does is not acceptable" ok I'm done babbling.

(Sorry about grammar, I'm extremely tired I'm going to bed hopefully this post is semi-coherent)

Last edited:

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
So am I right to doubt her?

Did she ask you for your assessment of type?

If she's mistyped and relying on that mistype it could cause her some discomfort, sure, but if so, isn't that really her own consequence to own?

It sounds like you've expressed your doubt and shared your reasoning for your doubt. I find myself wondering why you would feel the need to step any further than that into her experience?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Did she ask you for your assessment of type?

If she's mistyped and relying on that mistype it could cause her some discomfort, sure, but if so, isn't that really her own consequence to own?

It sounds like you've expressed your doubt and shared your reasoning for your doubt. I find myself wondering why you would feel the need to step any further than that into her experience?

You see, it really isn't about her anymore, it's about the whether person asking the question is justified in their reasoning that she is or isn't a particular type. You're right that she doesn't have to accept/listen to it, but the person asking the question may wish to know for their own satisfaction. Does that make sense?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

In the free world we do choose our vocation.
Why is she a pharmacy major?

I have known many.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
She's a pharmacy major because, as far as I can tell, is she's addicted to painkillers. Also she's convince unless she does something medical she won't ever make money. I'll ask her today and find out for sure.

And no it doesn't matter, but I want to know for my personal satisfaction. Also I would appreciate people who tell me, they doubt my type.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ

These tests may not be so accurate if it depends upon how the person views herself compared to how others perceive her.

The best indicator is to make an approximation of her personality type by seeing which summaries best describe her- then ask her certain questions on her actions/decision-making skills/writing styles. Of course, if you consider yourself an expert on MBTI- you would know what to look for.

Every personality has positive and negative traits. However, I think with certain types- there is a cult of personality.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You may be right. But it is still more likely that she knows herself better than you do, particularly if she is an INTP with superb chameleon skills.

I don't think it's really appropriate for you to tell her that you know her better than she knows herself, even if you think it is true. You can show her different descriptions and questions and etc, or present an argument for why you think she is, say, an F instead of a T, but she should really be the ultimate authority on herself. I also didn't see anything you said here as evidence for her not being INTP, though I will accept that perhaps you have seen other indicators which you aren't mentioning.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wouldn't say this too anyone but we've been best friends for five years now. So it's not like that. I also did not tell her I knew her better then she knew her self. So please don't think I did, I just can't see INTP in her at all. That's my point.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
These tests may not be so accurate if it depends upon how the person views herself compared to how others perceive her.

The best indicator is to make an approximation of her personality type by seeing which summaries best describe her- then ask her certain questions on her actions/decision-making skills/writing styles. Of course, if you consider yourself an expert on MBTI- you would know what to look for.

Every personality has positive and negative traits. However, I think with certain types- there is a cult of personality.

Thank you.

I'm also trying to get her to re evaluate, not because I don't want her to be INTP but I think it's important to actually continually re evaluate yourself, as tests no mater how good can often fall short.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't say this too anyone but we've been best friends for five years now. So it's not like that. I also did not tell her I knew her better then she knew her self. So please don't think I did, I just can't see INTP in her at all. That's my point.

Randomnity has a point. In general, the preferred way to deal (unless you really know someone can handle it) is to offer them additional information or push the boundaries a lot... but in the end, she still gets to decide how she views herself. You can't FORCE her to change her mind, and if you try, she'll most likely distance herself. (It comes across as domination or exploitation.)

So... is there any good reason you need to challenge this "false INTP" thing? Can you tolerate it and focus on other things?

Or is it really getting in the way of you being friends, just because she's going on about it and seems SO wrong that it rubs you the wrong way?

Really, though, the best you can do is share information with her and wait for her to change her mind. Is it really such a large blockage in your friendship?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no, but I. I. It just drives me insane. And maybe I'm sterotyping but I can't tell you how many times I've taught her how to use a computer or hook up some electronic for her.

Also I was hoping someone would give me some advice and help me out in coming up with ways to talk to her about it, and what to look for. I'm no expert that's partially why I posted this thread. But I got attacked so sorry for trying, about what right do I have blah blah blah. Look it's not like I met her once, we went to school together we spent everyday of three summer's together. We know each other very well, If she doubts me on something she'll tell me.

Hell we've taken care of eachother drunk and thrown eachother in the shower when we were to drunk.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
i can appreciate the need for people to acknowledge their correct types, but i think you should acknowledge the fact that knowing ones type benefits mainly one self.

another way of putting it would be like me telling the world i like tomatoes, when in reality i don't like them. it pretty much affects no one else but me, and it's more of a quality of life issue.

if she is in fact not an intp, then she's never going to reap the full benefits of personality typing. if she is an intp, well maybe she's just a messed up one. who knows.

my 2 cents.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i can appreciate the need for people to acknowledge their correct types, but i think you should acknowledge the fact that knowing ones type benefits mainly one self.

another way of putting it would be like me telling the world i like tomatoes, when in reality i don't like them. it pretty much affects no one else but me, and it's more of a quality of life issue.

if she is in fact not an intp, then she's never going to reap the full benefits of personality typing. if she is an intp, well maybe she's just a messed up one. who knows.

my 2 cents.

Yeah that makes sense. I've been considering that she does have issues. Her parents are fundamentalist racists. And look down on anyone whose not southern baptist. I don't see how anyone could not come out of the enviroment with issues.