• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] A Playful INTJ? Whaa...

SWINTJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
This thread has been dead a little while but, the humor description I kept seeing started to grate.

If I made a joke someone claimed was offensive, that person from that day forward would be considered annoying and though my joking ranges greatly, every joke I'd make within an ear shot of that person would be something I'm quite sure they won't like. Even if that "offensive" joke isn't a common type by me, out of spite towards oversensitive people, I'd make exceptions.

And you're right, you wouldn't find them funny and it wouldn't just be because of the "type" of joke it is. I wouldn't be the person delivering the punchline. It's your reaction that would be the punchline.

I would let it go on until you finally figured it out for yourself. I would also hope, at that time, that you would start avoiding me or not want to talk to me. I can't stand being in the company of whiners. Especially ones who can say they recognize something as a joke yet at the same time can take offense to it. That's like saying "I know that no offense was intended, but I'm going to make drama anyways because I'm a self-righteous tool who feeds off of playing the victim." It's people like that, that cause me to wish for natural selection to make a comeback for the good of humanity itself.

No offense!

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
The OP sounds like an INTJ ex-coworker of mine...

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
intjs can be very funny. they are generally very dry bc their jokes are based on forms, relationships, and structures.

most of my intjs are well-versed in comedy, they know what is out there, have internalized it, and stretched it to fit their personalities. think tina fey. think demetri martin (intj or infj). Ni re-frames similar material into a kaleidocope of absurdity.

istjs rely on puns and up-your-ass crassness. they don't have the same shiftiness, the same subtlety, the same dryness. i find istjs fun to joke with in person, at times, but their standup routines bore the fuck out of me. intjs can be extremely clever, scheming, and well-developed when they want to be funny. that there are many completely anti-social/sociopathic intxs doesn't preclude them from having the capability to be funny. 6s and 5s are probably the most funny to me.

istj vs intj would be focus on Si vs Ni. intjs are more in love with sensory difference (Se) than istjs, who are more it is what it is. altho for injs this comes out less obviously especially at 18, bc it is an inferior function. Si and Ni will both, when used with Te, be hierarchically organized and built upon information relevant to objective goals and sub-goals. but Ni will be much more organic, constantly scanning the mind for relationships and patterns and possibilities and potential structures and motifs, whereas Si will be soooo concrete and object-oriented. both are rather visual, it seems to me. intjs will pick up on your patterns quicker and will generally be much more interested in challenging your perceptions, whereas istjs will focus on a more concrete game poking at you.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
UPDATE:

I've concluded that my friend is, in fact, an ENTJ.

Since I've started this thread, I've been reading up on ENTJ behavior on TypoC (i.e, Discobiscuit's "Child and Caveman" Theory) and been treating him as such. The results have been phenomenal.

Instead of mirroring him and using my Ti to try to connect (like NT to NT), I use my F now. I'll ask him about an idea he's been talking about or relate to a story he's told from a different angle, and he's much more receptive now in our conversations. His eyes even start to sparkle a bit. I think it's sweet. I haven't seen this side of him in a while, actually, and I'm beginning to remember how we became friends in the first place.

The other day, for example, we were having a conversation about performing on a stage (He's a cellist and I'm a violinist). The conversation veered into how I differ from another one of our friends (an EFSJ; also a violinist) in playing style. I told him that I'm not a performer because I don't enjoy playing for other people but that I enjoy playing for myself, and he agreed. He then went on to tell me that though he himself is not a great cellist and doesn't naturally play from his heart (he didn't use those exact words; I'm translating into NF language :D), he can appreciate that, similar to the way that I am not a brainaic academically but can deeply appreciate intellectualism.

So, yeah. The friend is an EnTJ with strong TJ I'm thinking.

Commentary:

Achebe is overrated. NTJ.

Yeah well so are engineering programs and a sudden influx of math and science courses in the US educational system, but you don't see me ranting like an imbecile about how much more scholarship money is out there for engineering majors than, say, philosophy or theology majors, do you?

The issue isn't whether or not my friend is "right" in his opinion.
It's a matter of respect. Respect for me and my opinions as his friend.
Furthermore, he has a bias towards something for absolutely no reason. That's illogical. It's not as if he actually studied that piece of literature or anything.

This thread has been dead a little while but, the humor description I kept seeing started to grate.

If I made a joke someone claimed was offensive, that person from that day forward would be considered annoying and though my joking ranges greatly, every joke I'd make within an ear shot of that person would be something I'm quite sure they won't like. Even if that "offensive" joke isn't a common type by me, out of spite towards oversensitive people, I'd make exceptions.

So, what exactly are you saying?
No one anywhere ever should claim that one of your jokes is offensive because you said it wasn't?

I don't think it works that way.

And you're right, you wouldn't find them funny and it wouldn't just be because of the "type" of joke it is. I wouldn't be the person delivering the punchline. It's your reaction that would be the punchline.

I would let it go on until you finally figured it out for yourself. I would also hope, at that time, that you would start avoiding me or not want to talk to me. I can't stand being in the company of whiners. Especially ones who can say they recognize something as a joke yet at the same time can take offense to it. That's like saying "I know that no offense was intended, but I'm going to make drama anyways because I'm a self-righteous tool who feeds off of playing the victim." It's people like that, that cause me to wish for natural selection to make a comeback for the good of humanity itself.

Hm.
I'm hoping all of that was a general "you."

My friend is emotionally immature. Whenever he's angry or genuinely happy or panicked, it's frightening. The usually controlled and logical Andrew I know turns into a flustered mess.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah well so are engineering programs and a sudden influx of math and science courses in the US educational system, but you don't see me ranting like an imbecile about how much more scholarship money is out there for engineering majors than, say, philosophy or theology majors, do you?

Err... I was joking? Next time I say something like that, I'm gonna add ;):D:cheese::newwink::devil::happy2::smoke: just to make myself clear.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Err... I was joking? Next time I say something like that, I'm gonna add ;):D:cheese::newwink::devil::happy2::smoke: just to make myself clear.

:blush:

Sorry.

I'm just so used to people giving me the appeal-to-authority, "your opinion is stupid simply because I said so" excuse. It gets frustrating after a while.

Plus, your comment can only be read not seen, so I didn't get a chance to see your I'm-joking face.

And for next time, you only have to add an ;) to make yourself more clear.

Sabre

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a friend who is INTJ.

Some characteristics of my friend that lead me to believe he's NOT an INTJ:

• likes to fit in
  • always cracking a joke so that he can fit in
  • appears more talkative than what I've heard of INTJs generally

I like to fit in (if I like those people)

Sometimes I crack a joke because I'm sure it will be good at that time so why would I do something that I can?

I talk a lot, I may get people interested or bored and annoyed, but I never chitchat and I hate that. But I don't like being in a group of people I don't know very well.

Its a strategy for socializing I guess.

twinkiesmom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
After reading the whole thread, I'm convinced this guy is ESTP.

He likes hugging people....definitely not INTJ and probably not ENTJ.

He seeks attention, but his jokes are insensitive...ESTPs are notorious for sharp-tongued biting comments.

You mentioned him being interested in multiple girls...INTJs and SJs tend toward monogamy.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
After reading the whole thread, I'm convinced this guy is ESTP.

He likes hugging people....definitely not INTJ and probably not ENTJ.

He seeks attention, but his jokes are insensitive...ESTPs are notorious for sharp-tongued biting comments.

You mentioned him being interested in multiple girls...INTJs and SJs tend toward monogamy.

Anyone can be interested in multitudes of people for a relationship, or just a fling, and any type can tell a witty joke.

Plus, hugs aren't prohibited from INTJs. :hug:

:dry:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He likes insensitive jokes, he thinks of kindness as a weakness, disagrees with authority figures, he doesn't realize he's critical etc. = NOT SJ..

No, all of those traits are really more TJ in general. STJs can be very "insensitive" and I have met plenty who were just as distrustful of authority figures as any INTJ. You've way oversimplified the matter here.

twinkiesmom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Anyone can be interested in multitudes of people for a relationship, or just a fling, and any type can tell a witty joke.

Plus, hugs aren't prohibited from INTJs. :hug:

:dry:

Agree with you that this could be any type. I don't see anything in the original post that would exclude a common ST.

But disagree with you on the hugging thing...INTJs are not indiscriminate huggers.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
neptunesnet, why do you think he's an E? What happened to always staying at home? :/

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"how do you manage to mastribate with fingernails that length?" which shut her up, was very funny but also exceptionately offensive....

haha! best one for me today!

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, dudes. This is a pretty old thread of mine.

neptunesnet, why do you think he's an E? What happened to always staying at home? :/

Forget the staying at home thing.

He seems much more TeNi than NiTe. His Fi is inferior as it baffles him, but he certainly understands TeFi rationale. Also, he's much more preoccupied by what's efficient than by how things are connected, or how a situation/point of view can be interpreted differently (and yes, he has the capacity to do it, just gets stuck in dominant Te).

And as much as I hate to say it, I think he's more likable when he channels his aux-Ni. It's hard to explain other than it has a really nice calming effect on him, which softens his actions & how he expresses himself. As he matures, I see him navigating & trying to understand that more, which is good.

As of right now, I still think he's ENTJ. I'd add 8w7 sx/so to it. But, the possibility of his being INTJ 8w7 sx/so is just as valid, I suppose. It's hard to say definitively since I haven't seen him in a while.

F

figsfiggyfigs

my INTJ friend is more playful than I am, I actually get exhausted sometimes from his playing around :laugh:

Avik

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
LII
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I personally think you are a victim of belief in stereotypes. It is impossible for all INTJs to conform to the standards of an INTJ personality. Agreeably, an INTJ is LIKELY to behave in a way that the general INTJ assessments suggest, but each one is vastly different. I, for example, rarely crack jokes, and when I do, it has something to do with the subjects I'm studying. I do have an anger issue, but not with my belongings being touched by other people.
To further strengthen my point, let me give you the example of the only other INTJ whom I personally know. To say we don't get along, is an understatement. We have a lot in common- our beliefs, our habits, so on and so forth. However, there are certain factors I dislike in him. For one thing, he's a raging pervert, while my sexual drive is fairly under control. It's one, completely acceptable thing to have a fantasy, but a different thing to attempt to play it out on 'friends'. The other thing is that he's too quick to judge. I myself, judge, but only after having gone through all facts and data available, with a fine toothed comb. He, on the other hand, judges on the basis of first impressions.
So, to get back to the topic, you ought to try and learn about your friend, and accept him as he is, as opposed to expecting him to turn out the way that is suggested by the INTJ assessments.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
I'm a playful/serious INTJ, sometimes I think I'm a jinx in every places I go. I think I'm a trickster but it always unintended..

Avik

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
LII
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a playful/serious INTJ, sometimes I think I'm a jinx in every places I go. I think I'm a trickster but it always unintended..

Why would you be a jinx?

W

WhoCares

Why would you be a jinx?

Possibly the singular ability to shutdown conversation, bring joviality to a halt and make others feel uncomfortable with your mere presence. Just guessing. For most of my life I thought I had anti-charisma because I did not understand other peoples reactions to me. I felt cursed.