• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Riddles!

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I really enjoyed working through this logic puzzle recently, and I rediscovered how much I used to like these things. Post riddles or puzzles you think would tickle an NT brain! Here's a version of "Einstein's Riddle":

- There are five houses next to each other on a street, painted five different colors.
- A man of a different nationality lives in each house.
- The five home owners each drink a different beverage, play a different sport and keep a different pet.

Einstein's riddle is simply this: Who owns the fish?

The clues:

1. The Briton lives in the red house.

2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.

3. The Dane drinks tea.

4. The green house is next to, and on the left of the white house.

5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.

6. The man who plays football rears birds.

7. The owner of the yellow house plays baseball.

8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house on the left.

10. The man who plays volleyball lives next to the man who keeps cats.

11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who plays baseball.

12. The man who plays tennis drinks beer.

13. The German plays hockey.

14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

15. The man who plays volleyball lives next to the man who drinks water.

Oh, and if you wish to declare your answer (since we don't have a spoiler tag), please put it into a url or something like this. To do this, use this code:
[ url="thisistheanswer" ]like this[ /url ], but obviously you'd omit the spaces.

AND NO GOOGLE CHEATING :devil:

edit: Here's a hint of how to approach this puzzle: hint

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
By "9. The Norwegian lives in the first house." does it mean he lives in the house farthest left?

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Ah yes, I wondered that as well at first, and I should've changed it (done). Farthest left.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
My answer to Einstein's riddle is in invisible font below this line of text.

Assuming one the the five owns a fish, it belongs to the German

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Look for alternate interpretations in the riddle? What does keeper imply? Does it imply ownership or some sort of custodian relationship? Are owner and keeper two distinct relations? Does green house mean green as in the color green or green house in the botanical sense? Does White House mean the color white or 1600 Pennsylvania ave. What could red house mean?
It's a pure logic puzzle, not one solved through finding small ambiguous things in the text.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
LostInNerSpace, I'm afraid that the only clues you will need to solve the riddle are already provided, with no outside inferences necessary. Deductive reasoning, my dear Watson, it's elementary!

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I sent my answer to your reputation. Am I correct?

(Now that I look at other's answers, I have the same exact thing)

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
This approach does not search for ambiguities. It is a systematic search for a solution. How do you even know it's a pure logic problem? How were you able to make that assumption? Presumably because you have seen the problem before. It was stated as being a riddle.

How exactly would you go about solving such a pure logic problem? Set theory? You are still looking for the same relations. Set theory is just a formal representation/framework. It is a problem solving approach.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
How do you even know it's a pure logic problem? How were you able to make that assumption? Presumably because you have seen the problem before. It was stated as being a riddle.

Actually, if you read my first post, you will find that it's called "Einstein's Riddle", yet I only referred to it as a "logic puzzle".

Though there is one fatal flaw to this story: it was never declared that the unknown pet in the last deduction is a fish!

Nonetheless, these are logic puzzles, and none should have trick answers, or unwarranted assumptions. Has no one done these before? Here's another classic:

A farmer has a fox, goose and a bag of grain, and one boat to cross a stream, which is only big enough to take one of the three across with him at a time. If left alone together, the fox would eat the goose and the goose would eat the grain. How can the farmer get all three across the stream?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A farmer has a fox, goose and a bag of grain, and one boat to cross a stream, which is only big enough to take one of the three across with him at a time. If left alone together, the fox would eat the goose and the goose would eat the grain. How can the farmer get all three across the stream?

got correct answer but errased

Last edited:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Here is one I have two American coins in my hand that equal 35 cents and one of them is not a quarter. What are they?

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Hey hey, hide your answers please. ;)

Answer to yours: one is not a quarter, it's a dime. the other IS a quarter. tricky semantics, otherwise there's no answer

Here's a word riddle, if the crowd so pleases:

My feet are two, or three, or four.
I may move, but not on my own power.
My engine is heavier than me.
In some areas I am barely seen,
in some areas there are more of me,
than there are engines for me.

What am I?

VagrantFarce

I hate riddles, because usually there's only one right answer. Well done Mr Clever-Pants, you successfully obfuscated your point. >.>

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlb57uzn1zE"]xD[/YOUTUBE]

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
bna.jpg