• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs, did you find your motivation in life? If so, how?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hello fellow comrades :hi:,

do you already know what you want to achieve in your life?
What helped you the most to get that insight?

I for myself have not so far. I'm 32 now and still have no clue what to do.
Sure I have achieved some things in life, like having a diploma, founded a family, etc. Yet that is not something I strove after in the first place.

In case of the Diploma for example I just thought that it would be much easier to get a job if you have this little piece of paper. I really didn't put much effort into it yet graduated in reasonable time and with good success.
Now I'm having this job for nearly 3 years, but I don't feel that I do anything worthwhile in it. I get the work done and get praises for it despite I just procrastinate all day and just criticise everybody on how things are not working the way they should be.

And all the time I have this gut feeling that I'm meant to do something with my life that is remarkable and worthy. I just can't put the finger on it and nail it, as there are, as you all know, way too many interesting fields out there to start on.

So have you found your inner motivation to do what you are supposed to do?
Have you found the one thing that you just can't procrastinate because doing so would cause your soul to explode and then little penguins with neon red NY Giant caps would come and gather the parts of your soul and rebuild a mona lisa mosaic from it? :doh:

For the last 14 years or so, I've just been in this waiting state and was hoping that illumination will jump on me. Now I fear that it won't and I really have to get in action myself to find my way than leave it to Karma. I'm just unsure if this would be the right move, as Karma loves me :wubbie:.

Ah well, I just don't know. On the one hand playing video games, board games, diving into fantasy literature or anything else that interests me and enjoying the moment for the rest of my life is not that bad of a perspective. On the other hand some more "down to earth" people will see that otherwise. But then again, who cares?

Thoughts?

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Hello fellow comrades :hi:,

do you already know what you want to achieve in your life?
What helped you the most to get that insight?

I for myself have not so far. I'm 32 now and still have no clue what to do.
Sure I have achieved some things in life, like having a diploma, founded a family, etc. Yet that is not something I strove after in the first place.

In case of the Diploma for example I just thought that it would be much easier to get a job if you have this little piece of paper. I really didn't put much effort into it yet graduated in reasonable time and with good success.
Now I'm having this job for nearly 3 years, but I don't feel that I do anything worthwhile in it. I get the work done and get praises for it despite I just procrastinate all day and just criticise everybody on how things are not working the way they should be.

And all the time I have this gut feeling that I'm meant to do something with my life that is remarkable and worthy. I just can't put the finger on it and nail it, as there are, as you all know, way too many interesting fields out there to start on.

So have you found your inner motivation to do what you are supposed to do?
Have you found the one thing that you just can't procrastinate because doing so would cause your soul to explode and then little penguins with neon red NY Giant caps would come and gather the parts of your soul and rebuild a mona lisa mosaic from it? :doh:

For the last 14 years or so, I've just been in this waiting state and was hoping that illumination will jump on me. Now I fear that it won't and I really have to get in action myself to find my way than leave it to Karma. I'm just unsure if this would be the right move, as Karma loves me :wubbie:.

Ah well, I just don't know. On the one hand playing video games, board games, diving into fantasy literature or anything else that interests me and enjoying the moment for the rest of my life is not that bad of a perspective. On the other hand some more "down to earth" people will see that otherwise. But then again, who cares?

Thoughts?
I always ask myself something along the lines of this:

If there was no tomorrow, what do I absolutely need to do today?

That'd keep you in check of your real purpose in life.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
"ENTPs, did you find your motivation in life? If so, how?"

No. I don't have one.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Yes.

By getting really pissed off at how the rate of progress in the world has seemingly slowed down, and how people are content with that. By wishing there were people in charge who had some freaking balls, and knowing that if I want such a thing, then I have to be willing to step into such a role, or at least die trying.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes.

By getting really pissed off at how the rate of progress in the world has seemingly slowed down, and how people are content with that. By wishing there were people in charge who had some freaking balls, and knowing that if I want such a thing, then I have to be willing to step into such a role, or at least die trying.

Keeping up with progress can be a burden in some fields in which this process is accelerated. You will get to know that with age.

I tho do think, the rate of advancements was never as high as it is today.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Compare today to 40 years ago. Other than computers, is there truly anything we can do today that we couldn't back then? We went to the freaking moon back then!

Compare 1929 to 1969, and then 1969 to today.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
We didnt know that two different political systems can separate one nation into two halfs.

We didnt know what ways some people of the arabian world will take, to show how important their case is to them.

We hadnt had the conciencse to watch what we are doing to our environment.

We didnt know about super massive black holes.

And we didnt know that Germany will win the world soccer championship 3 times.

---

I'ld say we have come a long way

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
We didnt know that two different political systems can separate one nation into two halfs.

Well, it certainly happened before, at least as early as 1861

We didnt know what ways some people of the arabian world will take, to show how important their case is to them.

Sure we did, they had been doing it to the Turks for around 200 years at that point.

We hadnt had the conciencse to watch what we are doing to our environment.

Was it conscience, or was it the fact that we didn't like our acid-rain forests, our flammable rivers and our smog-choked cities?

We didnt know about super massive black holes.

How has that improved the lives of the majority of humans on this planet?

And we didnt know that Germany will win the world soccer championship 3 times.

---

I'ld say we have come a long way

That last one only impacted 85 million people. I'm looking for something that helped the 4 billion+ who have been born since then.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFCMzOk9po"].[/YOUTUBE]

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it depends entirely upon finding something that you enjoy doing so much that you'd do it for free, and that could potentially be a marketable skill or idea.

Once you've found that the path is obvious. If it's a really difficult career path, then you're going to have to put up with being broke for a while until you figure it out, but it's worth it because there's really no other way to find long term happiness.

Personally, I can't put my full effort into anything that doesn't hold my interest. I could get some corporate job that I don't care about, but I'd be dooming myself to life-long mediocrity because I know at the end of the day I won't really apply myself unless it's something I want to be doing. If it's not, I'm always just going to do the minimum required to get by, which is not the way to advance very far in any career.

So rather than settling for a career you don't really care about just because it's easier/people tell you you should, I'd go ahead and pick the one that's really exciting to you, and that way you'll be able to excel without it really feeling like work.

If it can't be made into playtime, don't bother. You won't do well anyway if it feels like work or like something you're being forced to do against your will.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I think it depends entirely upon finding something that you enjoy doing so much that you'd do it for free, and that could potentially be a marketable skill or idea.

Once you've found that the path is obvious. If it's a really difficult career path, then you're going to have to put up with being broke for a while until you figure it out, but it's worth it because there's really no other way to find long term happiness.

Personally, I can't put my full effort into anything that doesn't hold my interest. I could get some corporate job that I don't care about, but I'd be dooming myself to life-long mediocrity because I know at the end of the day I won't really apply myself unless it's something I want to be doing. If it's not, I'm always just going to do the minimum required to get by, which is not the way to advance very far in any career.

So rather than settling for a career you don't really care about just because it's easier/people tell you you should, I'd go ahead and pick the one that's really exciting to you, and that way you'll be able to excel without it really feeling like work.

If it can't be made into playtime, don't bother. You won't do well anyway if it feels like work or like something you're being forced to do against your will.

[youtube="QehZjjwb7-I"]If you're good at something, never do it for free[/youtube]

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Motivation sounds too much like a goal or plan.

Word.

There are a million things I love doing, but not one that I could imagine doing for the rest of my life. Or rather, whatever I am doing at the moment is always the most interesting thing to me - and then the moment is over and I'm bored again.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Word.

There are a million things I love doing, but not one that I could imagine doing for the rest of my life. Or rather, whatever I am doing at the moment is always the most interesting thing to me - and then the moment is over and I'm bored again.

Isnt that more like an excuse for everything more serious requiring dedication ?