• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Question

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Let's say we have two persons, A and B.

A is an INTP, with a well developed Ne, whereas B is an ENTP with an underdeveloped Ne.

How can you tell which is which IRL?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Regardless of development, the INTP uses Ne to support Ti and the ENTP uses Ti to support Ne. In conversation, the ENTP would follow an idea without knowing where it leads whereas the INTP will have likely already thought it through a bit.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The ENTP wants to be out and about with his friends on Friday night. The INTP wants nothing to do with the public - especially on a busy Friday night.

Even if the ENTP's Ne is underdeveloped and the INTP's Ne is well developed, I think the difference is still that one is drawn to people, while the other is drawn to the inner world. It's hard for me to even imagine an ENTP, however, with an underdeveloped Ne. If they are a true ENTP, then Ne is their primary function. In other words, it's what they do best and where they most naturally operate - without even trying, that's just what ENTP's do.

I can't imagine someone like myself, an INTP, with an "underdeveloped" Ti.

Perhaps the person in question is xNTP? I have a relative who fits into this category. Very ENTP in some senses - successful entrepreneur, large network of friends/associates, loves to give motivational speeches/be a guest speaker at seminars in her field of expertise, enjoys hosting parties, but................

Also withdraws for long periods of time - the whole "locking herself in a cave for a week" thing, really gets worn out by people and their problems, has a much bigger collection of books than I do, and generally has no problem being a complete homebody.

With her, it's a back and forth thing. One week she's out and about, making things happen, traveling, dinner with friends, and seems like she can keep going forever.

The next week it's as if she's crashed and burned. In her slippers and robe at 1pm on a Wednesday, not returning phone calls, and lost in books.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It's hard for me to even imagine an ENTP, however, with an underdeveloped Ne.

Indeed...If someone's dominant function, their main mode of operating in the world was "underdeveloped" I can't help but think they would be a rather atypical, if not dysfunctional, individual. Or 8 years old.

EDIT: Though I suppose in the interests of practicality an individuals primary function could be difficult to identify, in which case continue.

Qre:us

A is an INTP, with a well developed Ne, whereas B is an ENTP with an underdeveloped Ne.

:huh:

Wait, what? This question doesn't make sense to me. There are two people: A and B, and you want to know how you can tell which one is which (INTP vs. ENTP) given the development of Ne?

It's a comparison, so you're just short-sightedly comparing levels of Ne between these two individuals, which can't really give any insight into INTP vs. ENTP. What it will give you is insight into who has 'objectively cooler' Ne, not who is well vs. underdeveloped in Ne, in a general sense, and certainly not who is INTP vs. who is ENTP....as it will only be at the comparative level between individuals.

I can have a better handle on accessing Ti than a particular INTP [e.g., say, you], but, I'll still be an ENTP and that INTP will be an INTP. It's just that our comparative levels of Ti are such that I utilize it more 'efficiently', which has no commentary on how dominant this function is for us, individually, separately.

Evaluation of functions is not a between-subjects comparison, it's a within-subjects one.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

Ask them an off the wall question - something quite flakey that is left of centre... The ENTP will play with you and start exploring the question. The INTP will smile and clock it, and may come back at a later point....

ENTPs are noisy creatures... not as noisy as ENFPs though... but certainly louder than INTPs

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
It doesnt matter who "developed" the function is its still going to be the dom.

For ENTP Ne is the commander in chief, Ti is his subordinate who does his bidding.

for INTP Ti is the master and Ne is the slave.

so basicly: what tinkerbell said

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Is Destiny the one who's cross-eyed and gives out lap-dances for free?

Who? This Destiny? :huh:

miley-cyrus.jpg

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ask them an off the wall question - something quite flakey that is left of centre... The ENTP will play with you and start exploring the question. The INTP will smile and clock it, and may come back at a later point....

ENTPs are noisy creatures... not as noisy as ENFPs though... but certainly louder than INTPs

Umm, it was a theoretical question.

:huh:
I can have a better handle on accessing Ti than a particular INTP [e.g., say, you], but, I'll still be an ENTP and that INTP will be an INTP. It's just that our comparative levels of Ti are such that I utilize it more 'efficiently', which has no commentary on how dominant this function is for us, individually, separately.

Evaluation of functions is not a between-subjects comparison, it's a within-subjects one.

Ah, but we are talking evaluation between individuals (or at least, I am). Brought on by ENTPs' being charismatic, area in which an INTP lacks dexterity. An INTP's Ne can be more developed than an ENTP's one.