• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Let the NT teach her/himself.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
One of my favorite things to do is pick up new skills. What are your favorite tools, toys, dvds, websites, books, methods, etc that you've used to learn new things?

To start -

Michel Thomas French instructional cds - They teach the language by illustrating its equivalence to English. It's the first language instruction method I've used that has created a natural transition without the feel of being a 3 year old with an alphabet chart and flash cards.

I look forward to using your tools. :)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
My favorite thing I ever learned was how to drive a manual transmission :wubbie:

So my usual method is to research whatever it is endlessly, then wing it. I guess I did the same thing with cooking, art, and gardening. I don't have any particular resources, just bits and pieces from everywhere.

For learning other languages I'm a big fan of online dictionaries with sound-bites. This probably isn't the best one, but it's pretty convenient: Free Translation Online

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My favorite tool of learning is lying on my bed, looking at the ceiling and introspecting.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know -- most everything I've learned how to do on my own included following directions a couple times, figuring out how it worked, and then winging it all times after that. So, I don't really have any good resources, I guess, except Stitch and Bitch, a book that gives knitting/crochet directions in plain language. The first half of the first book is very good reference for a lot of techniques.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the library.

ive read about 5 books on philosophy.
ive checked out 5 more on building financial/economics models.
im planning to learn some more calculus (via books) --> build even cooler stuff using mathematical finance books that i've found there.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have an ear-training program from undergrad called macgamut.
supermemo is a memorization program that sounds exciting.
mind-mapping software is useful altho i tend to prefer free-handing it
sybellius is a good composition tool
crayon physics deluxe is pretty easy but fun
i like playing a chess program when i need to feel strategic
wikipedia and stanford encyclopedia for philosphers and social theorists
tho wikipedia is pretty much limitless, i also look up food and cognitive/biological science and occasionally history and definitely cities, as these are my interests
i like audio-books at times, who doesn't like podcasts, ted talks are good if you're feeling really futuristic and bearded, and the teaching company is ok
i go thru phases where i'll listen to a lot of standup comedy, altho usually i just focus on new music too much to spread around the love
the milkdrop visualizer in winamp is also worth using
i like forums for typology and city-data, i am still figuring out how to incorporate other forums and message-boards into my daily life- i love the format bc i process opinions more easily than logical lines of causation, i am better at seeing than judging
i am still trying to figure out internet resources to improve my design skills, visual aesthetic/intelligence, and generally find better productivity tools and external brain software bc mine gets overdrawn pretty fast, plus practical shit which i have trouble staying on top of
i want to read more poetry online, and i want something to replace pitchfork (tho the article written recently about the future of indie music when they were doing the roundup of the 00s was def by an infj!)

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
i have an ear-training program from undergrad called macgamut.
supermemo is a memorization program that sounds exciting.
mind-mapping software is useful altho i tend to prefer free-handing it
sybellius is a good composition tool
crayon physics deluxe is pretty easy but fun
i like playing a chess program when i need to feel strategic
wikipedia and stanford encyclopedia for philosphers and social theorists
tho wikipedia is pretty much limitless, i also look up food and cognitive/biological science and occasionally history and definitely cities, as these are my interests
i like audio-books at times, who doesn't like podcasts, ted talks are good if you're feeling really futuristic and bearded, and the teaching company is ok
i go thru phases where i'll listen to a lot of standup comedy, altho usually i just focus on new music too much to spread around the love
the milkdrop visualizer in winamp is also worth using
i like forums for typology and city-data, i am still figuring out how to incorporate other forums and message-boards into my daily life- i love the format bc i process opinions more easily than logical lines of causation, i am better at seeing than judging
i am still trying to figure out internet resources to improve my design skills, visual aesthetic/intelligence, and generally find better productivity tools and external brain software bc mine gets overdrawn pretty fast, plus practical shit which i have trouble staying on top of
i want to read more poetry online, and i want something to replace pitchfork (tho the article written recently about the future of indie music when they were doing the roundup of the 00s was def by an infj!)

Marry me.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
the library.

ive read about 5 books on philosophy.
ive checked out 5 more on building financial/economics models.
im planning to learn some more calculus (via books) --> build even cooler stuff using mathematical finance books that i've found there.

In addition to this, I just thought that it might be worth mentioning that it may be possible to pay a fee to get borrowing privileges at a nearby university library. It may be cheaper for graduates.

Mr.Time

MBTI Type
INTJ
Fortran...learning it all by myself...kind of painful and at the same time a lot of fun.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
In addition to this, I just thought that it might be worth mentioning that it may be possible to pay a fee to get borrowing privileges at a nearby university library. It may be cheaper for graduates.

Yeah, university libraries are incredible resources. I plan to subscribe to one of them after I graduate (now it's free for me), 100 € a year are worth 100'000+ books

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
They should advertise NTs to teachers as "self-teaching students," which means they basically do all your work for you. For some reason, the idea strikes me as similar to a self-cleaning toilet, or an automobile that drives itself (making automobile far more literal in meaning).

"Struggling to teach students the old-fashioned way? Consider getting an NT student. Easy to teach, because it teaches itself!"

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
They should advertise NTs to teachers as "self-teaching students," which means they basically do all your work for you. For some reason, the idea strikes me as similar to a self-cleaning toilet, or an automobile that drives itself (making automobile far more literal in meaning).

"Struggling to teach students the old-fashioned way? Consider getting an NT student. Easy to teach, because it teaches itself!"

Hell no. I can't motivate myself to learn anything I've been told to.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Marry me.

thanks, i'll take that as a compliment! :D

my roommate is an entp graphic designer and he has some great tools but many of them are iphone related. he gets so swoony when talking about his iphone, like it/they are the harbinger of the next phase of human socio-cultural cognitive evolution (which it/they might be).

i am interested in learning how to do image processing, i guess, but i generally get distracted and have a difficult time sticking to one thing. i like to sit in chairs a lot, which can eat up too much of my time.

i also find emoticon specialization to be off-putting at a certain point. i especially hate the head-smack and the devil sign and the thumbs up. the wink is just pure patronage, which is annoying considering in real life the wink is my all-time favorite gesture, followed by the shrug.

i use notepad for some notes before putting them into openoffice bc i appreciate the informality and the goddamned typewriterness of having to wordwrap.

i also just received a brulee torch for creme brulee, french onion, and lazy-man s'mores! and flambe! bananas foster! possibilities! etc.

what else do you use? i would like to be forced into making music with no skills or instrumental abilities or experience (except for a few almost purely written theory courses in undergrad and a corresponding ear-training lab). i should research this.