• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Female NTs and Men: What do you need in a relationship?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could you explain a little more deeply how you got from:

It's a question really of which are going to rub *you* the wrong way.

to

From this perspective, the best type is all letters reversed (RRRR) or all letters the same (SSSS). The former gives more opportunities to cover each other's weaknesses, and the latter provides the best chance to understand the person's motivations fully.

?

(Personally I agree with the first comment better. The latter comment is a theoretical reality that doesn't seem to play out in real life very often. Basically, people who share all four letters often don't get together (too monotonous / same weaknesses in the relationship), and people who share no letters tend to just create far too much friction and have trouble connecting... unless they are both very stable to begin with and totally willing to deal with this lack of similarity.)

Usually people seem to do better if at least share either an S or N trait, even if they differ on the other three.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and am trying to find out more information about female NTs and what they need both in terms of initial attraction and for a relationship to work long term.

I have been discussing with a couple female NT friends and this is what we have come up with so far:

(1) The man has to be as smart as the female NT and capable of holding his own in intellectual debates
(2) The man can not be a pushover emotionally - some female NTs have a tendency to exploit weakness in their partners and can become controlling (especially NTJs). Female NTs will not respect a man who will allow them to do this.
(3) NTs seem to be attracted to men with a high degree of talent, sense of adventure, and/or spontaneity... but we are not sure if these relationships will work long term.

Thoughts?
From a man's POV..

Well, those are good starters for a woman seeking my company. I think it tells of good personal qualities to be looking such attributes in a man; it tells of what the person appreciates for herself, too. Point by point:
1) Great, that means that the woman can be intellectually stimulation, i.e. interesting. If she expects such things from a man, there's a good chance she'll be capable of handling it.
2) That's healthy, and reminds of NT like controlling attitudes. NT indeed do think of controllable people as pawns. So yeah why wouldn't it work out as a test to control someone. If the controlling fails, the test is passed :laugh:
3) Sounds like the factor openmindedness from FFM, which is a good thing. Hm, with a touch of C- thrown in.

So, all good. Usually I roll eyes in the sight/sound of any silly "demands" and expectations that women present :rolli: , but these are good ones.

Demands usually reveal what is lacking from the person making them. Want someone strong? Insecurity & attachment issue. Need someone level-headed? Temper tantrums. Need someone practical? Lazy-ass dreamer.

Intelligence doesn't seem to be wanted for other reasons than that the person asking it is herself intelligent. Hell, other people wouldn't know how to handle such person anyway :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Demands usually reveal what is lacking from the person making them. Want someone strong? Insecurity & attachment issue. Need someone level-headed? Temper tantrums. Need someone practical? Lazy-ass dreamer.

Yup, the NT gal is not actually demanding anything to balance out flaws in herself. She expects a mate to simply be on a par with her own sense of (1) independence/autonomy, (2) intelligence/wisdom, and (3) mutual respect.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yup, the NT gal is not actually demanding anything to balance out flaws in herself. She expects a mate to simply be on a par with her own sense of (1) independence/autonomy, (2) intelligence/wisdom, and (3) mutual respect.
Yep, have to love them :D

Luke

MBTI Type
INTX
(Personally I agree with the first comment better. The latter comment is a theoretical reality that doesn't seem to play out in real life very often. Basically, people who share all four letters often don't get together (too monotonous / same weaknesses in the relationship), and people who share no letters tend to just create far too much friction and have trouble connecting... unless they are both very stable to begin with and totally willing to deal with this lack of similarity.)

Usually people seem to do better if at least share either an S or N trait, even if they differ on the other three.

Well I tend to trust theory more than reality, must be my Ti. ;)

I don't know tons of people, and can't cite hundreds of examples of duality (complimentariness). But I do know that in my own case, it works pretty well.

I did choose her deliberately based on perceived duality. At the time I thought I was probably INTJ and she was ESFP... but changed my mind for both of us on closer analysis. I know it's not the most romantic way to choose someone, but to my mind it makes a lot more sense than some other methods. :tongue:

Now, if we shared an N or S trait, we might have met easier due to common interests, but we wouldn't be able to fill each other's needs as well. Our S and N would actually be at odds, as her preferred form would be Ni or Si, and mine would be Ne or Se.

If people share only the first three letters, it can lead to all kinds of friction. (I'm going by Myers' definition of J/P of course, not Socionics where this is altered for introverts -- in which case you actually want only the first three letters different, with the fourth the same.) Perhaps the examples you have in mind were mistyped on the 4th letter for one member. In that case, their preferred traits would correspond to each other's shadow traits.

I guess the best strategy is to first get the first three letters figured out, then carefully eliminate any candidates that make you uncomfortable, or expect "unreasonable" things of you that you can't fulfill. Any remaining ones pretty much have to be your dual type then.

Luke

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I tend to trust theory more than reality, must be my Ti. ;)

Well, maybe you could use a little more Ne there to prime the pump, then. ;) ;)

(Ti without a steady source of relevant data is notorious for wandering off the reservation.)

I do know that in my own case, it works pretty well.

Oh, I think it can work. it is just that, generally, looking at many different relationships, usually what I see with complete opposites is unmitigated disaster... especially if both people are young.

Of course, that also means that if you managed to do so well with it, then that says something positive for the both of you. :) So, kudos to you.

(I know I can't make it work myself, so you're better than me there. The times I've tried with an ESFJ were disastrous -- the stereotypical love/hate relationship. It was far too tumultuous. There was no common ground, and far too much misunderstanding.)

Now, if we shared an N or S trait, we might have met easier due to common interests, but we wouldn't be able to fill each other's needs as well. Our S and N would actually be at odds, as her preferred form would be Ni or Si, and mine would be Ne or Se.

True... but it still plays differently in reality. I find it much easier to get along with ENFJs, for example -- MUCH easier! -- despite their using Ni and me using Ne. The extro/intro thing actually did not seem to get in the way. So again, theoretically, you might think that the extro/intro difference would cause problems, but in reality, it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as raw theory might suggest.

I think Berens (?) recommends the sharing of S or N, regardless of intro/extro pref. At least one of the more prominent names does... if I were at home, I'd look it up for you. Not that published authors define MBTI; but they are usually drawing their conclusions both on theory AND real-life experience, which carries more weight than pure theory.

(... btw, I don't mean to be arguing with you as your first experience here. :) Welcome to MBTIc and thanks for sharing your thoughts -- I am hoping some others jump in too and comment on this.)

If people share only the first three letters, it can lead to all kinds of friction. (I'm going by Myers' definition of J/P of course, not Socionics where this is altered for introverts -- in which case you actually want only the first three letters different, with the fourth the same.)

Uh huh, the Socionics assigns J/P based on your primary, rather than first extroverted, function.

Perhaps the examples you have in mind were mistyped on the 4th letter for one member. In that case, their preferred traits would correspond to each other's shadow traits.

Nope. I'm 38 years old... so I am considering years and years of personal experience, along with personality theory. My conclusions is that I think what sounds like a "great idea" in theory actually doesn't pan out for a lot of people.

(And really, what in a long-term relationship can be so well micromanaged ahead of time? People constantly fall for people who look bad for them on paper.)

I know I had lots of theories about how relationships were supposed to work before I had them. Unfortunately, it's one thing to have a logical framework in mind and another to actually apply it and understand the practical elements of a relationship.

Usehername

On a mission
I think I've changed my thinking that INTJ is the way to go.

I have no one in mind, but after thinking about the general interactions with teh ENFJs that I know, I think I want to go look for one:D

Luke

MBTI Type
INTX
Nope. I'm 38 years old... so I am considering years and years of personal experience, along with personality theory. My conclusions is that I think what sounds like a "great idea" in theory actually doesn't pan out for a lot of people.

(And really, what in a long-term relationship can be so well micromanaged ahead of time? People constantly fall for people who look bad for them on paper.)

I know I had lots of theories about how relationships were supposed to work before I had them. Unfortunately, it's one thing to have a logical framework in mind and another to actually apply it and understand the practical elements of a relationship.

Thanks for the warm welcome... I know it's a sort of awkward topic for a guy to just jump into. I'm sorry to argue, but I'm glad to be able to at least argue with someone who knows what I'm talking about! Usually I have to explain all the Socionics stuff and that distracts from the argument itself.

I kind of understand what you're saying... but really until I've seen the whole picture and conclusively decided against it, there's no way in heck that I'm going to take such a defeatist attitude towards the theory. It seems more likely to me that you are an ISTP than an INTP if you get along better with ENFJ than ESFJ. (Sorry if this sounds arrogant.)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I agree with Jennifer that absolute opposites do not make the best matches - too much friction.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Ive seen all types of relationships work out.

From identical: ESFP with ESFP

to polar opposites: ENTJ with ISFP

to complementary: ENTP with ENFJ

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think that for NTs, more than any other type, mutual respect is a prerequisite.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the warm welcome... I know it's a sort of awkward topic for a guy to just jump into. I'm sorry to argue, but I'm glad to be able to at least argue with someone who knows what I'm talking about! Usually I have to explain all the Socionics stuff and that distracts from the argument itself.

Good, I'm glad you feel more comfortable here. I know I appreciate the things you've posted so far, they've shown a lot of thought.

I kind of understand what you're saying... but really until I've seen the whole picture and conclusively decided against it, there's no way in heck that I'm going to take such a defeatist attitude towards the theory.

That's fine to have a set way of looking at things, as long as we are each open to any new input that comes in our direction.

It seems more likely to me that you are an ISTP than an INTP if you get along better with ENFJ than ESFJ. (Sorry if this sounds arrogant.)

haaa... Well... I don't know if arrogant is the correct word. But the N aspect is probably the one thing EVERYONE in both real life and online would agree on, in regards to my type. (In fact, I wish I had more S to draw on, my problem is usually getting AWAY from N and sticking more with the tangibles.)

If it helps, Ni is my third highest function on the eight-function test... (after Ti + Ne) ... and it's close to Ne. So that might explain how I can deal with fine Ni-dom/aux types. Internally, though, sometimes it plays havoc with my Ti process... since Ni continues to challenge the foundations I base my thinking on. (not fun.)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think that for NTs, more than any other type, mutual respect is a prerequisite.
I agree with you.
I can't stand to be disrespected.
And I must respect my partner.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree with you.
I can't stand to be disrespected.
And I must respect my partner.
Oh, yes. Absolutely.

I've been chewed out for wanting respect, though. Apparently, love is so much more important.... :steam:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, yes. Absolutely.

I've been chewed out for wanting respect, though. Apparently, love is so much more important.... :steam:

People like that need a dose of kick in the ass...

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
People like that need a dose of kick in the ass...
Meh, I haven't heard from him for months...maybe he's denying that he ever had a relationship with me now.

I'll give him that if I do hear from him, though. :devil:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Meh, I haven't heard from him for months...maybe he's denying that he ever had a relationship with me now.

I'll give him that if I do hear from him, though. :devil:

I don't know, I just find it hard to love someone I don't respect to begin with. If I don't respect them it's more likely just lust.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
^ Thanks. I swear, one of the kids in my Comp Sci class likes me or something...hmm.