• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ writers?

kristin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hello my fellow NTs:

I'm a former INTJ teacher searching for a new career that will keep me challenged and interested! I have a tendency to get very bored with new jobs after the learning and excitement wears off. Of course, the NT Rationale group is the perfect group to give me objective advice!

My undergraduate degree is in Spanish - I love learning languages, in the academic sense, but I don't really enjoy careers where it is needed (i.e. teaching, nursing, etc) because I prefer to work alone. So I'm looking to start something completely new and I'm willing to go back to school to do it if necessary.

I'm considering a career in writing - either fiction or non-fiction, but nothing technical or news-related. Are there any other NTs, espcially INTJs, that have had success with this? It's my dream, but of course that "rational" side of me keeps telling me it's not practical and I wouldn't make enough money.

I put myself in your capable hands for career advice.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
CS Lewis was an INTJ writer who did well. I think Orson Scott Card might be another (although that's just my "feel" for his type, I'm not positive).

INTJs tend to have a "plus" when it comes to explaining abstract concepts (they are able to ignore nuances that really bog down an INTP, for example, and focus on their points of interest). They also are closure-oriented, which means they're better at working to deadline and marketing/promoting their work rather than getting too caught up in the writing and being loathe to focus on the "business" side of things.

Hopefully there are some INTJ writers here who can better advise you on how to angle and/or market yourself. Good luck!

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm considering a career in writing - either fiction or non-fiction, but nothing technical or news-related. Are there any other NTs, espcially INTJs, that have had success with this?

Ayn Rand was a successful INTJ fiction (and non-fiction) writer.

My (totally unqualified :D) advice would be to crystallize the insights you have in which ever form suits you best.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs tend to have a "plus" when it comes to explaining abstract concepts (they are able to ignore nuances that really bog down an INTP, for example, and focus on their points of interest).

I think INTPs are better at explaining abstract concepts (and generally) than INTJs. It is because putting words on the insights of Ni is very difficult for many INTJs. I feel INTPs on the other hand are voices of clarity, even though they are some times slightly elaborate.

kristin

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think INTPs are better at explaining abstract concepts (and generally) than INTJs. It is because putting words on the insights of Ni is very difficult for many INTJs. I feel INTPs on the other hand are voices of clarity, even though they are some times slightly elaborate.

I do agree with you there. Aside from the worry about whether I could actually support myself writing, my biggest fear is that I won't be able to adequately communicate my vision. While I think I'm a very good writer, it just never seems quite as good on paper as it did inside my head...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Oh, I can see what you are saying there. It must be hard to weave all of those ambiguous internal concepts into something that you can articulate in a linear verbal manner.

(The counter problem for INTPs is that they have a lot of trouble forcing artificial closure, because they always feel that if they cut something down into an understandable chunk, then the content is now "wrong" and not contextualized properly. But the average person usually deals better with the unnuanced chunk. I think that is the part INTJ's do better -- drawing those "artificial" lines of closure.)

Anyway... sorry for the derail, hopefully someone can give you [Kristin, I mean, now] some practical advice. In terms of selling your material, the annual Writer's Market is always a good source of venue and editorial contacts.

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
Kristin,

every time I've tried doing the writing thing I tend to have such a loud "inner critic/editor" that seems to cut out most of the good stuff before it ends up "out there" in the document. It took me ages to work out what I was doing to myself that way.

What I try to do now is do a "brain dump" - very uncritically a stream of words and then try to organise them.

Still haven't solved it really though. :doh:

So I got in to ceramics instead....

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hello my fellow NTs:

I'm a former INTJ teacher searching for a new career that will keep me challenged and interested! I have a tendency to get very bored with new jobs after the learning and excitement wears off. Of course, the NT Rationale group is the perfect group to give me objective advice!

My undergraduate degree is in Spanish - I love learning languages, in the academic sense, but I don't really enjoy careers where it is needed (i.e. teaching, nursing, etc) because I prefer to work alone. So I'm looking to start something completely new and I'm willing to go back to school to do it if necessary.

I'm considering a career in writing - either fiction or non-fiction, but nothing technical or news-related. Are there any other NTs, espcially INTJs, that have had success with this? It's my dream, but of course that "rational" side of me keeps telling me it's not practical and I wouldn't make enough money.

I put myself in your capable hands for career advice.

Well, I've always heard that NF's were good with writing/language, and NT's were really only good at analysis and science. But if I can understand computers, I guess you can write.

Why don't you show us a sample of what sort of things you plan to write, and we'll tell you if it's any good or not?

Usehername

On a mission
Well, I've always heard that NF's were good with writing/language, and NT's were really only good at analysis and science. But if I can understand computers, I guess you can write.

Why don't you show us a sample of what sort of things you plan to write, and we'll tell you if it's any good or not?

OR, she can decide to do it without caring about our opinion :yes:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
OR, she can decide to do it without caring about our opinion :yes:

Yes, and that's what I would have done if I were thinking about whether to become a writer or not. I only responded that way because it sounded like she wanted other people's input before making a decision.

kristin

MBTI Type
INTJ

Yes, and that's what I would have done if I were thinking about whether to become a writer or not. I only responded that way because it sounded like she wanted other people's input before making a decision.

Athenian200, I appreciate your offer, but I'm not asking for advice as to whether I'm a good writer. I think both NFs and NTs can make excellent writers, although they often choose to write about different topics and have very different styles. Some of my favorite writers are INTJs.

I should have been more clear - I simply want to see if there are any real-life INTJs in the forum who have chosen a career in writing, and what they like/don't like about their career.

I'm really intrigued after reading through some of the postings. It seems boredom with careers is a very common INTJ (and INTP?) issue. We tend to try something for a while, get bored, and want to learn something else. I know there are several INTJs in this forum looking for their next career (probably most of us, since we're always on the lookout for something better! :) ). Maybe we could all collaborate by answering a few questions about our career search: (examples follow -feel free to add your own)

1) How many different careers have you had in your life? Which was your favorite? Least favorite?

2) How often do you typically change careers? Do you usually go back to school between careers?

3) Has anyone out there found a career which keeps them continually interested? And you've worked at this job for at least a few years? What do you like so much about this job?

4) What careers would you encourage (or discourage) other INTJs from considering based on your experience? Why?

Hopefully we can all get some good ideas and it will be interesting to compare the results. Thanks to all for your input!

Mendacity

I chose a career in writing. Well, in journalism if that counts.
Unfortunately, I have another semester until I graduate with my degree and while I was in school for it the industry kind of collapsed. :cry:
However, the reason I chose journalism (one of the reasons anyway), is because I have always written fiction (since I was 12) almost compulsively. Granted that's slowed down a lot since I've been in school. But whether it's news or fiction, I love writing/language (and also computers, Athenian :) ).
What I have learned about a career in writing fiction (I used to want to be a novelist) is that you should not quit your day job. It is almost impossible to get published. That's no reason to give up though. If you do go this route, make sure you have a good agent. Most publishers won't look at your piece unless it comes to them through a literary agent. Also, the industry there is getting more difficult to get into because small fiction magazines don't exist anymore really, and the big magazines that used to publish fiction don't so much anymore.

Have you looked into ghost writing, freelance journalism (not a lot of money or steady work, but a fun way to make some extra cash), or working as a translator since you have a degree in Spanish? Knowledge of another language and a literary flare make for very good translations.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
I'm studying English and Philosophy hoping that one of my current projects will lead to some artistic success shortly after graduating--I dread fundamentally "normal" careers, and am hoping to escape having to sell myself into one to pay bills after my parents cut me off in about a year :D .

I can't offer any insight insofar as achieving any kind of success with writing (or other arts) . . . but I'm building myself up for a pretty damning fall if my art proves unmarketable after I get my degree. It's meaning a lot of internal pressures, as I find myself avoiding all opportunities to "build my resume" by investing in my delusions that I'll be one of the very few who makes his/her dreams actually come true. Basically, I'm neglecting to invest myself in the common "working" world, preferring to risk everything on coming up with a solution to exist outside all regular circles of society in general.

Like I said, I'm gonna fall pretty hard if it doesn't work out . . .

Check back with me in 2009, I guess :huh:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think Neal Stephenson is an INTJ.

At the risk of coming across as confrontational, I think that Stephenson is the poster boy for INTP writers. His tales touch on a variety of interconnected possibilities and tend to end on ambiguous notes. INTJ writers like Ayn Rand tend to have more a feel of "here's my point, allow me to drive it in with this hammer".

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This is what I have read about INTJs when it comes to writing:
INTJ's are pragmatic theoreticians who like to develop plans, designs, or theories that work in the real world—in fact they are often more interested in designing a writing project than in writing it. They often incorporate design elements, such as flow charts, diagrams, and schematic drawings in writing. As a result, their writing is the most clearly and consistently organized of all MBTI types. For INTJ's, the idea is the most important part of the message—they don’t need to "entertain" the audience.

Below are some of the advantages and challenges INTJ's face when writing:

Strengths
Plan extensively.
Like to complete writing projects quickly—never miss deadlines.
Original thinkers with neat, orderly minds.
Often have good ideas which they present in a clear, organized manner.

Challenges
May be too locked into the plan.
Concern with speed may lead to skimpy research.
Need more spontaneity.
Need more audience focus—soften harsh statements or qualify assertions.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tolkien, maybe? (I know some sources say INFP, though.)

Isaac Asimov? Philip K. Dick? I'd say they were pretty N dominant, though maybe Dick was an ENTP.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Tolkien, maybe? (I know some sources say INFP, though.)

Isaac Asimov? Philip K. Dick? I'd say they were pretty N dominant, though maybe Dick was an ENTP.

I would definitely say Asimov was an NT and probably a J. I guess there's not much way to tell if they were E or I, other than the fact that he took the time to write many complicated books.

pelon

MBTI Type
intj
If you enjoy the foreign language thing, maybe you could try contracting out to do written translations.

Everyone here should check out Barbara Sher's new book called "Refuse to Choose". It's about what she calls Scanners, which seem to be people like some of us who get bored with things after a while and are ready to move on, but feel bad about never sticking to anything for too long. I found it to be very insightful and no, she didn't ask me to write this promo.