• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's Good at Math?

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've only ever been able to learn things that interest me. Maths interests me theoretically now, but the rote maths you do early on never did and still doesn't, so there's a barrier that prevents me from actually doing any of the higher, more interesting maths. I'm only able to deal with it conceptually.

I don't know if I'm bad at maths; my brain tunes it out before I ever have the chance to find out.

Forgetful Functor

MBTI Type
iNtP
Whoever said that early math is an SJ thing was spot on. I made Cs and Ds all the way through Algebra II and Precalculus when I was in highschool. Then when I took calculus AB, it suddenly became very interesting to me. So interesting in fact that I made a perfect grade in the class (lol) and self-studied the extra semester of material to take the BC exam instead of AB (AB represents 1 semester of a typical college calculus course while BC is supposed to represent 2). I took four math courses at a nearby university during my senior year of highschool, and by the time I had finished my freshman year of college I had pretty much finished my math degree.

All this from someone whose precalculus teacher told him not to take calculus because it would be too much of a challenge.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm better at some types of math than others. I'm excellent at analysis and financial mathematics comes natural, but I had to work a lot in order to become good at algebra (i.e. never make stupid mistakes). OTOH I can easily compute higher order derivatives in my head. I don't know, it seems really sectorial. In elementary school I used to win a lot of prizes, when problems were more "intuitive" and didn't require extensive exercise in order to acquire the skills to solve them. Anyway, in middle school I met a professor that didn't like me and told me I was going to fail high school because of my lack of math skills, which lowered my confidence on the subject. I got it back in high school.

musicheck

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm in college right now majoring in math. I hated math until junior year of high school and didn't really like it until I got into the more theoretical university style of math. Its definitely an SJ thing until calc. As of now, I wouldn't be suprised if the entire graduate math class I'm in is NT with maybe one or two NF. S's (and many N's) would find this sort of exercise in disembodied logic maddeningly abstract.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
My memory for anything I don't care about is abysmal, as is my short-term memory in general. So on the one hand, there's no remembering formulae; on the other, calculation is impossible for me. I'll enter a number, then multiply a number, then forget what the first number is or why I was adding them in the first place. No good.

If math were taught more as an abstract system, and the patterns and holistic elements were emphasized, I'd have been okay. I get higher math in principle; it's just more than I'm worth to do the arithmatic.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Math (especially at the high school level) is definitely an SJ thing. You just memorize the rules and apply them over and over again and they won't make sense to you unless youre digging deeper and examining the theories which you don't really do on the basic level.

I don't think of math as an 'SJ thing', it's more of a 'no bullshit' thing, unlike literature for example. I was always a grade 'A' student in both subjects, but the latter was more satisfying since I didn't have to use my logic to write classy yet meaningless paragraphs - the mere fact that I'm capable of formulating seemingly "deep" thoughts proved to be satisfying to the teacher. On the other hand, I am forced to do some brainwork by computing a complex mathematical problem, which is both more exciting and more tiresome (I'm not speaking of the basics of course). I suppose math is even more fun for NTPs driven by a problem than NTJs driven by results, so I don't see a reasonable explanation for the OP. I guess you're the exception to the rule.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
im a lot better than my math grades indicate. math class just seems so pointless that i was never motivated to do it well. However, if im doing a project in another class that requires good math, then i wont skimp on it (ill go out of my way to include it).

its rather sad. the reality is that some of the subjects that interest me at my age now require extensive math (ie at least a BA in math), and yet its way too late to go correct that now... if only they had presented the math along with other INTERESTING and MOTIVATING subjects!

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Not even my fellow NTs enjoyed math...

Does this mean I have to back to SJ land?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I think most people who hate math do so from association with boring ass arithmetic drills and rote memorization, which only robots with obsessive compulsive disorder enjoy.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd consider myself good at math, and I'd say I like it too. However, the scientific field I plan to go in has less math than many others, by incident.

I think most people who hate math do so from association with boring ass arithmetic drills and rote memorization, which only robots with obsessive compulsive disorder enjoy.

Very true. I used to 'Hate Math' until we finally got to Algebra, where things became interesting.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Math (especially at the high school level) is definitely an SJ thing. You just memorize the rules and apply them over and over again and they won't make sense to you unless youre digging deeper and examining the theories which you don't really do on the basic level.

Also, math doesn't come naturally to you if you're an NT, you still have to work at it. Extensively.

I wouldn't underestimate the SJs if I were you.
In my high school, our top ten was mostly SJs who had all taken AP/college-level math courses and were passing them with flying colors. Their knack for detail is ALWAYS appreciated in the math/chemistry/physics area, and add to that their pragmatism and unyielding hard work... Viola! Math machines.

Actually, acing difficult math courses may not have anything to do with type but with just pure intelligence. I did notice though that our top ten was mostly NT/SJ with an ESTP (the vale and a ruthless SOB) and an INFJ (#10 and the only chick). It really couldn't have been any more stereotypical ;)

Last edited:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Perhaps this is where having a somewhat balanced N/S could be extensively useful? :p

Synthetic Darkness

Its not as if I'm stupid...math is just my Achilles Heel, its the one subject I can't bullshit my way through, I just can't get it...and I guess my pride has a lot to do with it, I hate looking stupid and thus I don't ask for help and pray that if I study hard enough I'll magically "get it".

Forgetful Functor

MBTI Type
iNtP
You have to decide whether or not to talk about actual understanding or school decided rankings. SJs are definitely better equipped for school than NPs, and probably better equipped than NJs as well before the university. So while they might not have the most comprehensive understanding (or perhaps some do, individual mileage varies), they've studied all the right specifics to make the grade.

Synthetic Darkness

I can get the concept but it's the little things, or maybe I just "think" I get it. It's also the fact that I can't see anything useful for it, learning how to calculate tax in like the 5th grade will probably be something I will never forget and all that crap, learning things like geometry is also pretty easy. I'd say the one strand of math I'm completely useless in is algebra. It's the damn x's I tells ya >_<

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I wouldn't underestimate the SJs if I were you.
In my high school, our top ten was mostly SJs who had all taken AP/college-level math courses and were passing them with flying colors. Their knack for deail is ALWAYS appreciated in the math/chemistry/physics area, and add to that their pragmatism and unyielding hard work... Viola! Math machines.

They're great until they need to start to use the topics to come up with original research and/or applied examples that haven't been taught before. Which still means that they're great for 95 percent of school-time, yes.

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
If math is a complex system of various concepts that intertwine, yet can be understood, then NTs should be very good in math.

If math is a "plug the numbers into the right equation" activity, then I see motivated SJs doing a better job.

Strangely enough, during a particular semester of high-school math, I was the only person whose grade rose when we were studying logic.