• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and computer programming

Yosako

Why is computer programming usually a career suggested to INTPs, when it requires being EXTREMELY careful with implementation details? INTPs are horrible at that, however INTJs and ISTJs can do well.
INTPs are good at creating a system's architecture - figuring up the system design, but not doing the actual coding/getting stuck with pesky little nuances. That can get in an INTP's nerves pretty quickly, or at least it did for me when I had to do some coding for a CS degree a couple years ago.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think most MBTI-related career sources are stuck in the past when it comes to computer programming.

Today it is very detail-oriented and often mind numbing. It isn't creating a whole new world in your garage anymore.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know why it would be considered a good career field for an INTP to go into. Making the big picture, the system would be awesome. On the other hand, managing all of the little details would really suck. Maybe being an INTP in a position to design systems that other people work to build would be better. But I can't imagine an INTP would have too much fun being one of the builders.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
System modeling. Anything else related to coding wont work. Esp &/or even only when its oo modeling, then even going deeper can be tolerable and even interesting.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Application of scientific understanding in developing a software product is well-suited for an NTP. For instance, writing software that does weather forecasting, which is what I do. You get to take a field of understanding and develop models to simulate or parameterize it.

As said before, big picture, autonomous, architecture-type jobs would be a better fit than a design-by-committee, team-based scenarios. It seems most of the programmers working on those kinds of jobs where I work are ISTJs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Programming is a pretty broad field.

As shown here, there are SOME aspects of programming that are very much suited for INTPs.

(I'm great at troubleshooting, using objects, picking up new skills and applying them quickly, understanding code in languages I don't know, etc, structuring code in sensible ways, naming things consistently and accurately with my big-picture sense in gear; but the level of exactness of detail needed in the code sometimes drives me crazy, as well as having to follow methodical code-repository procedure and/or always having to interact with other teammates all the time.)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I think most MBTI-related career sources are stuck in the past when it comes to computer programming.

Today it is very detail-oriented and often mind numbing. It isn't creating a whole new world in your garage anymore.

+100

QFT.

VagrantFarce

I enjoy web programming (like PHP or JSP) since it's fairly lax and the results are often quick to see which allows more room for creativity and taking risks, but I'm not a big fan of complex stuff like C++ or Java since it usually takes a while to get something that you can really mess around with.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Programming is a pretty broad field.

As shown here, there are SOME aspects of programming that are very much suited for INTPs.

(I'm great at troubleshooting, using objects, picking up new skills and applying them quickly, understanding code in languages I don't know, etc, structuring code in sensible ways, naming things consistently and accurately with my big-picture sense in gear; but the level of exactness of detail needed in the code sometimes drives me crazy, as well as having to follow methodical code-repository procedure and/or always having to interact with other teammates all the time.)

I'm with Jennifer on this one - all of the stuff that she mentioned in a positive manner I really enjoy as well. There are definitely parts of actual programming that I enjoy - but the "methodical code repository procedure" and having to interact with teammates all of the time is a definite low point. As is the whole "tell me exactly what you will do and how long it will take before you start" thing. But give me a problem, and let me design a solution? That I really quite enjoy. But the more formal the "process" the less I'll enjoy it.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not an INTP, but whatever.

I'm a CS major right now, and I really do love it so far. However, sitting at a cubicle all day and doing code-monkey bullshit would drive me insane. Because of this, my goals are:
1. Get to a more software engineering like position.
2. Lead a team and or develop big-picture plans for large scale software systems (also see #1)
3. Become a CS professor
Any of those will work.

Speaking as an NTP, my strengths in programming generally center around:
1. Foreseeing future fuckups and preventing them by altering the plan before they happen
2. Developing the object/inheritance structure of the system, and working out the stubs. Basically, the big-picture plan.
3. Coming up with original ideas for projects, and new ways of doing things that will make the job easier or more useful.
4. Debugging the system

In the same manner, my weaknesses in programming generally center around:
1. Following through with things. Anything.
2. Unit/white box testing, and making sure that all detailed test cases are tested
3. Incorporating things at the lower-level when trying to implement my upper-level ideas. For example, I may have a good general plan for an algorithm, but will likely get stuck translating the pseudo-code into solid usable code. That or I may think I have it all thought out, but end up making it too big picture and leaving some blanks that make it unusable in its current state.
4. Anything centered on Math. I really don't like math or efficiency checking.

Programming as a living doesn't necessarily mean sitting and fussing over details all day. Small details will inevitably be part of the job, but you'd be hard pressed to find any job that doesn't require some sort of significant attention to detail at some level. The problem with programming careers, is that (as far as I know), the attention to detail jobs are most of the lower-entry jobs. I'm not looking forward to having to drudge it out before I can move up.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I enjoy working with the team and I find (as an NFP) I bring strengths to the table the NT's can overlook or even dismiss. (I work with many so have first-hand experience in that regard.) They get stuck in the weeds sometimes and forget that they are trying to solve problems to make people's lives easier. And I don't know if this is too broad a generalization, but every NT I know wants to create their own application instead of looking out in the real world to see if the solution has already been coded.

But the details? Icky. Bring on the big picture any day. Much more engaging.

The most ... dedicated ... programmers I know are INTJ's actually. Not necessarily the best, or most creative, but the most focussed and absorbed.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
yeah...im lucky i get to switch jobs every once in a while...i would go crazy just knowing that ill be around on the same desk and same chair for an indefinite time

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
So INTPs aren't good at programming or people don't know how to best use an INTP programmer?

I'd reckon that most places, most offices, could use an INTP but also most places/ offices wouldn't know what to do with one. Oh and that applies to almost every type... oddly enough people just don't seem to know how to manage people a lot of the time.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ive just started getting into programming as a side project. im hooked! i hear of ISXJ and INTX, but do any of you ever see ENTJ programmers?

do most of you here have a CS degree? Or do you have something else?

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am a entj programmer. It is generally boring for me.
Atleast the intp can stay long hours by themselves, but a entj with their need
to be around people and for the big picture, programming is the worst.

Most NT would make good programmers. The part i like about programming
is the problem solving.

I am thinking about trying pair programming, atleast I got somebody energy to feed off of(most extroverts know what i am talking about here when i say feed off of someone's energy)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an INFP programmer. The saving grace of programming for me is that although it's detail oriented, you only have to get each detail correct once and the computer handles the monotony. It's also all about applying general principles, so a good design should have a "big picture" feel to it. Plus, one is typically either implementing something new or debugging a problem, both of which require a certain kind of problem-solving creativity.

Also helps that for me as an INFP part of the pay-off is helping others (my co-workers and our customers) and I only get the emotional pay-off once my work is usable by others. That emotional pay-off helps me persevere to the end of projects (at least after years of practice).

I don't think I could handle doing programming if all the interesting parts were worked out in advance. I also need some interaction with coworkers, since really it's all about helping others to me, even if my coworkers don't know that.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Look at it like this: Our primary function is basically understanding/analyzing systems. So, learning the "system" of a computer language falls into that category. We'll study it until we have a very good grasp of the language. That's the Ti part.

Then coming up with some creative way to apply that system could really fall under Ne, our secondary function. Seeing possibilities and ways to make things easier with certain programs or applications, is a way of extroverting our knowledge of that particular system to the outside world.

The "in the garage", just for fun, non 9-to-5 type of programming is really a dream situation for the typical INTP, provided that he even has an interest in computers. I love the study of "other systems", but I'm just not that into computers. It does fit very nicely into the INTP archetype, however.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why is computer programming usually a career suggested to INTPs, when it requires being EXTREMELY careful with implementation details? INTPs are horrible at that, however INTJs and ISTJs can do well.
INTPs are good at creating a system's architecture - figuring up the system design, but not doing the actual coding/getting stuck with pesky little nuances. That can get in an INTP's nerves pretty quickly, or at least it did for me when I had to do some coding for a CS degree a couple years ago.

INTP's just suck at focusing their attention on something they don't genuinly care about.

I'm no fulltime programmer, but I do love programming and I can spend as much time on it as I wish and be extremely careful with details and all the little things that go with it. I love getting stuck, solving the coding problems, and making software work.

Programming works for INTP's that enjoy programming.

Rikka

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I almost went into fine arts (painting/illustration) and somehow ended up in CS. Surprisingly, i enjoy it so far; it's essentially problem solving. Maybe in the future i might take up graphic design-- i'm not 100% sure....

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
A detail is in a second order.
The second order is not another order.