• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and computer programming

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's suggested because there are a disproportionately high number of INTPs in the profession.

The main reason for that is financial. The reward/effort ratio is high and success is dictated more by what one knows than who - this appeals to lazy, anti-social INTPs.

Having an aptitude isn't the same as enjoying something. Most people learn to compromise. Few are lucky enough to do what they love.

ygolo

My termites win
[...]although it's detail oriented, you only have to get each detail correct once and the computer handles the monotony. [...]

This is the key part of avoiding most of the monotony. I believe the chief skill in programming is to never have duplicate logic in your code (if you do break the rule, then minimize how often you do. I try to keep it under 3. If you need to duplicate something more than 2 or 3 times, seriously consider refactoring your code).

Also, Aspect Oriented Design and Programming makes for for extremely concise code, and most of the code will be interesting to work on. Weavers are generally fun, and you spend most of your time deciding join points, etc. Your code becomes virtually nothing more than a description of your architecture. If you can't use an Aspect Oriented approach, Design Patterns is next best, but a lot more tedious.

Also, learn the Discipline of Programming, the Psychology of Programming and the Practice of Programming. Kernighan, Weinburg and Dijkstra are luminaries in the world of software. Weinburg is an INFP, Dijkstra, I think, is an INT and Kernighan, I think, is an NTP. Although, the books are old, I believe the principles there in to be timeless.

Admittedly, these are principles for personal use, but following these principles has sometimes gotten me comments that I write "beautiful code" from teammates. It doesn't take me long time either, the habits just become second nature after a while.

I must say, though, that there can still be A LOT of monotony because the problems you have to solve become routine and mundane...this applies even to design and architecture for me.

If I had more interesting problems to solve with my code, then I would enjoy it more. Right now, I am writing numerical code to solve for the stability of metal nano-wires (for an independent study at school, not work) and I am enjoying that.