• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP as a nano-engineer?

Acidic Liquid

MBTI Type
ENTP
I will be applying to UNI next year and I'm very interested in this new and emerging field, and I was wondering if an ENTP would be good nano-engineer. Due to the fact that this particular field of engineering is new, there is only one path for nano-engineers to choose, and that's research... Are ENTPs good researchers?

What do you guys think?

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Judging from the ENTPs I've known, and from MBTI, I would say yes ... I think ENTPs would make excellent researchers. They are usually very inventive and have the extraverted charisma to inform others of their findings in a positive manner. I think the field would be a good match.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
You left out the most important detail... The salary.

Acidic Liquid

MBTI Type
ENTP
Money is quite important, and I have no idea what researchers make. Can someone fill me in?

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I always thought that an ENTP would find research boring, no?

I know two who seem to enjoy it. However they also spend a fair amount of time politicking and schmoozing to get funding and buy in for their projects. They are also pretty good at presenting their findings in an interesting manner. I guess that appeals to the extraverted preference.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hey I'm in 4th year nanoengineering, and I just wanted to point out that research is NOT the only thing to do in nano. There is tons of work in law (largely patents) as well as in commercialization. You can also be a professor or administrator.

I think being an ENTP is a big advantage in nano... our program is full of xNTJs and we are NOT imaginative types. My nano professor is an ENTP and he is amazing at what he does because he literally finds a snake in his backyard and takes it to school to examine its skin under an electron microscope. You pretty much have to be an xNTP to be truly amazing with nano, as it requires a lot of imagination and interest. The NTJs just go into management in industry and don't give a shit about the theories.

Our professors make like 150k a year plus a shit ton extra in grants for their research so I wouldn't say there is a salary problem. Also, they are often doing seminars and presentations and conferences so I don't think the extroversion would be a problem at all. And as I said, if you dont like research you shouldnt have a problem getting into industry.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a researcher in the US dealing primarily with nanotechnology. You could call it nanoengineering but I am more on the pure science side of things.

A significant part of what goes into research is, as Nighthawk mentioned, promoting your work. I have known ENTPs who are not so good at this. What happens is they promote their work a little bit, but then stop. You have to promote, and keep promoting, which is not so easy. Fortunately your PI will cover most of this work so it is not that bad.

A large part of it is also intelligence, and being able to not only understand very complex problems but also to teach yourself the material you need to understand related concepts. I think type does not have much to do with this.

Another part of it is also inventiveness, and coming up with new ideas that no one has tried before. This is the ENTP specialty.

Finally you have to actually do shit in the lab. Take your ideas and try them out. Get the data that supports your hypothesis. Then you have to write it up, which usually involves writing out these really long, dry, papers that no one ever really reads. This is the ENTP weakness, because you guys like to come up with new ideas, not implement them. But if you can overcome this weakness, you will be a pretty good researcher.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hello fellow Liquid ENTP. My advice is as brief as it is profound. I suggest you try out this career, and if you don't like it then do something else.

(No need to thank me. Your ignoring this post will be thanks enough.) ;)

Qre:us

I will be applying to UNI next year and I'm very interested in this new and emerging field, and I was wondering if an ENTP would be good nano-engineer. Due to the fact that this particular field of engineering is new, there is only one path for nano-engineers to choose, and that's research... Are ENTPs good researchers?

What do you guys think?

Richard Feynman gave the world one of the first thoughts into the possibility of nano-technology. He was also rumoured to be an ENTP. Jus' sayin'.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I love research. I thrive on it, actually. I did clinical research for a while and loved it so much. I think this is suitable to the ENTP who uses Ne like a weapon - you have to be thorough beyond belief, relentless and really be able to see angles to explore that no one else can conceive of. It was writing the reports that was the death of me. The paperwork, my god, the paperwork...

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I am so jealous. :reading:

Me too. Researcher was one of my favorite occupations ... albeit was in grad school and I didn't get paid much. Still, exploring new concepts rocks. Nowadays I spend too much time recreating the same thing over and over again.

Acidic Liquid

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks, a lot for all the replies. I have found a new confidence and some encouragement to do my best and get into the best UNI possible.

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
I worked in competitive intelligence for 8 years before taking my business full time. I miss it and am trying to get back into. I love digging up information and writing about it.

Oh yeah, and having a real salary again would be nice.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
can some explain exactly what is involved in nanoengineering and how to get into it?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
ENTP - ideas and breakthroughs
INTJ - data collection and offhand comments the ENTP can work with
ESTP - promoting the hell out of the rest of it and slamming beers with the ENTP/INTJ after work on Friday

It's very much a team effort. The ENTP's "research" is mostly going to consist of conversations with the INTJ and following up on the things that pique interest throughout the course of a conversation. There isn't going to be a lot of "pure" research, because quite frankly, that's boring drudgery and not the best application of resources. Meanwhile, the ESTP is absolutely critical - he's the one that's going to get the ENTP jacked up enough on extraverted energy to start blurting things out to the higher ups, and make sure the INTJ's getting laid enough to not feel like he's unappreciated.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
can some explain exactly what is involved in nanoengineering and how to get into it?

Nanoengineering is just the manipulation of things at the nanoscale, so basically manipulation of individual atoms. There are a whole bunch of different fields you could work in it for, like electronics, materials, medecine, devices or anything, but the idea is that youre basically trying to change the properties of the material by focusing on the atomic scale.