• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTPs sound intelligent, INTPs sound boring...

VagrantFarce

intps are only arrogant when you bother to talk to them
entps actively seek people out to be arrogant in front of

discuss, show your working, etc. [10]

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I can't :(. But I admit that, as a teacher who has to run purely discussion based classes, it was a very steep hill to climb to learn to actually listen and integrate the comments of others into the discussion I had planned in my mind. In fact, I'm still working on it. Before I got into MBTI, I used to call it a sort of "rigidity" because it was hard for me to deal with the natural flow of conversations into different directions...God forbid we foray into territory I don't know.

This is what I was getting at. As wonderful as you guys are, you seem rather reluctant to wander into uncharted territories, so you filibuster without seeming to realize it.

intps are only arrogant when you bother to talk to them
entps actively seek people out to be arrogant in front of

discuss, show your working, etc. [10]

Don't know if it's arrogance, per se... All types have their strong points and also their weak points. I personally don't seek out people to show off to or to be arrogant to, but I can see how others would think that I do.

I can take on quite an aggressive stance when I am trying to understand something. I question people to death and play devil's advocate because my curiosity is insatiable and I truly want to learn and understand - to the point where people think I am combating them when that is the furthest thing from my conscious mind. Hmm, maybe that's why some people think ENTPs like to debate? I really don't see it as debating from my perspective but I guess this could be a starting point for further exploration...

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think this whole thread is just an example of how extraverts spend more time marketing themselves whereas introverts are content to do their own thing without regard to social approval. So, if you're interested in depth, you might go for INTP. If you like breadth and ease, you might go for ENTP. I like going deep in group convos, but mainly just to reveal how someone so goofy can occasionally be brilliant.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You must be under the impression that the only thing valid to speak about is what you want to speak about. Conversations can change and flow.

I dont think that. I think if we are talking about some specific topic, there is no need to talk about unimportant things regarding to what we talk about. If conversations topic changes, its totally different thing.

I guess that many listeners would also deem your topic unimportant and/or tedious.

Thats again different thing. I am talking about situation where im talking about specific topic with someone who is intrested about talking about it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Thats again different thing. I am talking about situation where im talking about specific topic with someone who is intrested about talking about it.

Ahh yes, ok. But by your own admission, you are out to seek the truth but you feel that you already know the truth before you open your mouth. So you start off the conversation already unwilling to hear anyone else out. Do you see what I am getting at?

Even if I know something for a fact, I am still curious as to what others have to say. I may learn something, or they may learn something - something will come out of the conversation.

I guess for me, I just like things to be a bit more concise. I think that if INTPs could give the bullet points or highlights, and wait for someone to ask a question that expresses interest in hearing more before they expound, the benefits for all parties will be tenfold. It is a simple tactic that you can use in order to keep the conversation flowing and to let everyone feel they have a part in it. In other words, don't show all your cards at once.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ahh yes, ok. But by your own admission, you are out to seek the truth but you feel that you already know the truth before you open your mouth. So you start off the conversation already unwilling to hear anyone else out. Do you see what I am getting at?

Im not unwilling to hear what others have to say, even if i think i know the truth. However i notice pretty fast if what theyr talking about could be alternative for my truth. If they are talking about something totally different thing, they either dont get my point(so i point it out) or they are wrong and there is no point them to talk about it untill they realize my point of view fully(so i stop them and try to explain it more understandable way). If they get my point, understand why i think this is the truth and still think that they are right, ill listen to them and try to get theyr point of view to the matter.

Even if I know something for a fact, I am still curious as to what others have to say. I may learn something, or they may learn something - something will come out of the conversation.

If you know something as a fact, what more could you learn about the subject?

I guess for me, I just like things to be a bit more concise. I think that if INTPs could give the bullet points or highlights, and wait for someone to ask a question that expresses interest in hearing more before they expound, the benefits for all parties will be tenfold. It is a simple tactic that you can use in order to keep the conversation flowing and to let everyone feel they have a part in it. In other words, don't show all your cards at once.

Im not sure enymore if we are talking about same kind of conversations. Enyway if im trying to make a point i point it out, if people dont get my point but intrested about hearing it, i explain. I dont see eny point of not showing all my cards at once, because i dont see eny point of talking about something for longer than needed that can be discussed faster. After that conversation is over, we can move to next topic.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you know something as a fact, what more could you learn about the subject?

Well, to be honest, I learn more about the person and the way s/he thinks.

Im not sure enymore if we are talking about same kind of conversations. Enyway if im trying to make a point i point it out, if people dont get my point but intrested about hearing it, i explain. I dont see eny point of not showing all my cards at once, because i dont see eny point of talking about something for longer than needed that can be discussed faster. After that conversation is over, we can move to next topic.

This may be true, but I am not speaking solely about you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, to be honest, I learn more about the person and the way s/he thinks.

Ok, so your talking about conversation with someone i dont know and who i think is worthy of getting to know. If its a girl, i dont do all that i told you earlier, i try to not be rude to her interrupting and trying not to seem too arrogant by not telling her that i know all this, you are wrong, so shut the fuck up. If its a guy i try to be little less rude in the conversation than with good friends.

Enyways i learn what other people are like more on different things than how they came to some solution on theyr thinking.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
you lack self-confidence, and people often listen more to your eyes than your mouth.

talking to people who are bored with what you say is always a challenge.

And one more thing, evangelization is always more important than being right. If you can't do that, you have to practice it until you can.

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP
Last week I was in a party and there was this entp man discussing theories with everyone (even with those cleary uninterested). Although he was a little boring with his theories sometimes, everyone saw him as the charming life of the party and was paying attention to what he was saying.
I tried to do the same and the best I could get was a "things are the way they are and there is nothing we can do about it".
What is this charm about entps?

It's a gift......:devil:

krunchtime

LOL I don't care. People tell me I write well but I know I'm not made for a large audience (yet) because public speaking or writing requires you to connect to and reach out to your audience. Simply put, it is the way people respond emotionally to you. That is the social charm of all people with extraverted function. They don't make you feel like unwanted or foolish, no matter what obscure theories they propound.

I don't speak unless I feel compelled to and that's when someone else has already started the conversation and I need to point out some fallacies or logical inconsistencies. By then, people do listen and take notice and agree. Besides, I don't recognize my mission as evangelizing theories but rather, clarifying concepts and thinking patterns, so as long as a niche audience can understand where I'm coming from, I'm happy.

EccentricB

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
can i just say introverts are not necessarily more intelligent and vice versa. sometimes i find that intoverts tend to have a better understanding of the subject.the Entp however is clever not necessarily the most intelligent but always clever. We are also born orators and find it easier to animate a subject . I find im always looking for other perspectives on any subject. I know an intp who i find absolutely impossible to talke to he's intelligent and for the first ten seconds of the conversation he's fascinating but after that i find myself drifting of as he stammers and points and avoids eye contact.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I can't :(. But I admit that, as a teacher who has to run purely discussion based classes, it was a very steep hill to climb to learn to actually listen and integrate the comments of others into the discussion I had planned in my mind. In fact, I'm still working on it. Before I got into MBTI, I used to call it a sort of "rigidity" because it was hard for me to deal with the natural flow of conversations into different directions...God forbid we foray into territory I don't know.

I can see this. I think I do well with different topics but teaching is a whole different thing. If I have to lead a class on a brand new topic I would probably freeze. I normally take at least 5-10 minutes to get a handle on new topics. Which works just fine normally as long as I'm not the person in charge of steering/ leading the conversation at that point.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But you are an ENTJ, aren't you? I've never seen ENTJs approaching people randomly to inform them the new theory they just read about. The ENTJs I know tend to discuss a subject when it's already being discussed.

I'm sorry FDG..It appears BrazilJoe is not going to acknowledge what you deserve.

krunchtime

This is just popping in to say, I think I used to have a teacher who was an ENTP. I typed her as an ENTP based on her outward appearence and behavior and the way she discusses topics, but this is derived from a vague memory of 6 years ago, so inaccuracy is a possiblity. I still find her discussion style much more loose and appealing than other teachers I've ever known. There was never much of a conclusion but I always know what she was going to say next. It was intellectually stimulating and interesting in terms of the flow of ideas.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Last week I was in a party and there was this entp man discussing theories with everyone (even with those cleary uninterested). Although he was a little boring with his theories sometimes, everyone saw him as the charming life of the party and was paying attention to what he was saying.
I tried to do the same and the best I could get was a "things are the way they are and there is nothing we can do about it".
What is this charm about entps?

Ne relates better to others and adapts to changes in the external environment more quickly and easily than Ti. If you want to solve this problem, work on improving your Ne.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ne relates better to others and adapts to changes in the external environment more quickly and easily than Ti. If you want to solve this problem, work on improving your Ne.

So to observers Ne is "friendly"?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So to observers Ne is "friendly"?

Moreso than Ti, yes. If an NTP really wants to master the art of appearing friendly, Fe should be a big part of the approach, but...lacking that, Ne works much better toward this end than Ti.