• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTPs sound intelligent, INTPs sound boring...

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I would not qualify I/E as types. Nonetheless, if we define intelligence in the classical sense, it is more likely that someone who is turned towards her/himself is more intelligent that someone who is consuming energy and time talking to others.

You should re-read the definitions for extroversion and introversion, as it relates to MBTI. Extroverted intuition in particular has nothing to do with talking.

According to the way you are presenting this, I find it hard to believe that someone locked in a room with no external stimuli (e.g. books, conversation, etc...) would end up with more knowledge than one who constantly absorbs from the environment.

The preferred order of functions has no bearing on intelligence.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
^ Charming smile! Must be a hit with the ladies.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't understand... You walk up to someone and start talking? Either way, conversations happen between 2 or more people - lectures are what I get from INTPs, not conversations.

I wonder how you can start a conversation unless you talk to someone.. Lecture is what you get, if you dont talk back. If you talk back you get a conversation.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You should re-read the definitions for extroversion and introversion, as it relates to MBTI. Extroverted intuition in particular has nothing to do with talking.

According to the way you are presenting this, I find it hard to believe that someone locked in a room with no external stimuli (e.g. books, conversation, etc...) would end up with more knowledge than one who constantly absorbs from the environment.

The preferred order of functions has no bearing on intelligence.

Yes, and no. No one said an introvert never interacts with people, or that an extrovert does not take the time off to think things through by himself. Merely stated that if we are to take the same person with the same potential, and compare an introverted version to an extroverted one, then the former will be more intelligent in the academic sense.

All the introverts that I know have told me something like if I study for more than an hour I go insane and have to go out and see people.

Again, the medium does challenge you more, but there's has to be something there to be challenged to begin with. E.g. if I read a book thoroughly then discussed it in a workshop, even though not so verbally as an extrovert, then I would mentally gain more than an extrovert who flipped through it, then caught bits and pieces from the other talkers.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mh. Any example in mind ?

I have many from various science lectures, meetings, etc that I've been forced to or chose to participate in. But I'll use one of my ENTP friends as an example, since it would take longer to explain the others.

One of the very first times I began to notice this particular brand of BSing: This ENTP and I were in a group, discussing music and we came to the topic of one producer. He was very enthusiastic about the producer, but everyone else didn't think so highly of the producer. So in order to get them revved up, he begins talking about all the songs the particular producer produced, except half of them (unbeknownst to most people), the producer really hadn't took any part in. One of the people in the group asks him about a song that she was familiar with and knew that the producer wasn't involved with. The ENTP responds "He did co-produce most of that album, they just didn't include him in the credits. Didn't ___ sound just like ___? Because he produced it. [add in more 'sounds like facts' non-facts here]" Everyone went "Ahhh, okay." While the woman and I looked at each other like "Sure."

I have many more examples if that one wasn't sufficient. But I think that should give you the general idea which is that the ENTP will use their natural glibness and inventiveness to cover up that they don't actually know entirely what they're discussing.

Hahaha, that's only if they can answer the question without stammering and getting flustered. :D

Lol, that's also a possibility. But I think with more oblivious or mature INTPs, this happens less, if at all. They'll just keep droning on...

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I wonder how you can start a conversation unless you talk to someone.. Lecture is what you get, if you dont talk back. If you talk back you get a conversation.

I understand the definition, and I defined both terms earlier - so why you are restating what I already stated is beyond me.

Your response is very typical of what I am trying to illustrate. INTPs tend to talk and tend not to listen to the response.

My main point is that many times, INTPs will talk and will not *let* you respond by using tactics such as talking over you or interrupting you. If not, they will simply ignore what you have said, lest they get distracted from their point, so it ends up becoming a lecture, not a conversation.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have many more examples if that one wasn't sufficient. But I think that should give you the general idea which is that the ENTP will use their natural glibness and inventiveness to cover up that they don't actually know entirely what they're discussing.
Okey. But I tend to think alot of entps would learn to admit what they don't know after a while. I mean, how else could we learn. Also admitting when I don't know something is in my case a great way to show that I'm not some scary enclycopedia figure.

I find it sort of odd that the guy would defend something he likes in this shaky way as there's always a rational one could find to defend pretty much everything, except if he underestimated his listeners maybe or was being playful. But hey, I really need some sleep at the moment so I might not be the shapest conversationalist ever at the moment.

ps: my bad for multiple edits, i ..need..bed

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Bas gaza aşkım bas gaza
Kim tutar seni bas gaza
Yollar senin hiç durma
Hadi uçur beni burda

Bas gaza aşkım bas gaza
Kim tutar seni bas gaza
Yollar senin hiç durma
Hadi uçur beni burda

Bas gaza aşkım bas gaza
Kim tutar seni bas gaza
Yollar senin hiç durma
Hadi uçur beni burda

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mh I understand. But I think alot of entps learn to admit what they don't know. I mean, how else could we learn.
I find it sort of odd that the guy would defend something he likes in a pretty irrational way as there's always a rational one could find to defend pretty much everything. But hey, I really need some sleep at the moment so I might be the shapest conversationalist ever at the moment.

Right, not all of them will do this. One of my female ENTP friend is pretty good at knowing what's she talking about and admitting when she doesn't. Just something that I've noticed in some.

braziljoe

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
5w4
In my case, the entp in question would throw out subjects like "the evolutionary origin of women's gossip and their need of it" to gossiping women in the room (which I found totally inappropriate) . The women got shocked by the subjective implication that they were gossiping and felt somewhat offended, but then the entp man would say "oh, when I mean gossip, I mean the strong alertness to the surrounding environment women so strongly have, and It's definitely an advantage over men's focus on a single thing", and the women felt complimented.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
In my case, the entp in question would throw out subjects like "the evolutionary origin of women's gossip and their need of it" to gossiping women in the room (which I found totally inappropriate) . The women got shocked by the subjective implication that they were gossiping and felt somewhat offended, but then the entp man would say "oh, when I mean gossip, I mean the strong alertness to the surrounding environment women so strongly have, and It's definitely an advantage over men's focus on a single thing", and the women felt complimented.

Oh . yeah. Guilty as charged. :laugh:

Yosako

Bas gaza aşkım bas gaza
Kim tutar seni bas gaza
Yollar senin hiç durma
Hadi uçur beni burda

Bas gaza aşkım bas gaza
Kim tutar seni bas gaza
Yollar senin hiç durma
Hadi uçur beni burda

Bas gaza aşkım bas gaza
Kim tutar seni bas gaza
Yollar senin hiç durma
Hadi uçur beni burda
Do you get your poetry inspiration from alcohol or what? :shock:

Qre:us

I have many from various science lectures, meetings, etc that I've been forced to or chose to participate in. But I'll use one of my ENTP friends as an example, since it would take longer to explain the others.
[...]

You have some shady people in your life, dudes. I can't relate to this at all, nor in any of the ENTPs I know. The unhealthy ones, who are liars more than they are a representation of a type, yeah, I can see that.

Mh I understand. But I think alot of entps learn to admit what they don't know. I mean, how else could we learn.
I find it sort of odd that the guy would defend something he likes in a pretty irrational way as there's always a rational one could find to defend pretty much everything. But hey, I really need some sleep at the moment so I might be the shapest conversationalist ever at the moment.

^ This. I won't ever, ever, ever manufacture a lie (BS) to 'win' a point, EVER! That goes against every grain of ideal I hold in a debate...meaning, I will know that I didn't win the debate. I can't revel in a win if it's truly not a win. And, I don't give up a chance to revel in my glory for anyone, esp. not myself, who know better. Hence, it's illogical for me to BS in those instances.

Secondly, as Eugh said, there's always an angle for counter, if you can get creative enough, without needing to change the facts.

Thirdly, it bugs me if I'm not sure about a fact, to the point, I'll always tell the other, 'wait, lemme check up on this,' or 'I am not too sure about this, but, IF it were true then......' + 'If it weren't true, the argument would still hold, cuz [introduce another angle].........'

I don't BS unless I'm AIMING to bullshit [for my amusement]. If my aim is anything other than bullshitting, like engaging in a convo for the sake of an idea, like wanting to win a debate, etc., then that brand of BS is foreign to me, as an ENTP.

Right, not all of them will do this. One of my female ENTP friend is pretty good at knowing what's she talking about and admitting when she doesn't. Just something that I've noticed in some. ENTP is a pre

ENTP is a pre? As in prerequisite?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It's not poetry it's a turkish song

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have some shady people in your life, dudes. I can't relate to this at all, nor in any of the ENTPs I know. The unhealthy ones, who are liars more than they are a representation of a type, yeah, I can see that.

They're fine otherwise. I wouldn't say unhealthy, more undeveloped.

Thirdly, it bugs me if I'm not sure about a fact, to the point, I'll always tell the other, 'wait, lemme check up on this,' or 'I am not too sure about this, but, IF it were true then......' + 'If it weren't true, the argument would still hold, cuz [introduce another angle].........'

Yes, that's Ti fact-checking. I think in these cases, it's an overinflation/overuse of Ne.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
But I think that should give you the general idea which is that the ENTP will use their natural glibness and inventiveness to cover up that they don't actually know entirely what they're discussing.

Lol. I love ENTPs. Having said that, I have seen this behavior from some of them.