• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP's = Most Likely to be Unbalanced?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Unlike ENTP's and ENTJ's who are better equipped to function socially and INTJ's who are driven enough to get things accomplished (which looks better in society's eyes,) are INTP's more naturally driven to be "unhealthy?"

I'm not saying that all INTP's are unhealthy or unbalanced, but it seems to me of any type, INTP's have tendencies to be the least balanced.

What do you think?

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I could see the minimal want for affiliation potentially leading to social isolation, in INTPs.

>> I may have become a loner at my university.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think its because Ti is so strong process on intps that it may block other functions too much quite easilly, way easier than Ne for example.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Depends on how you define unbalanced. Which is the norm that decides what balanced is?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Everyone who expresses a strong tendancy towards something almost certainly has a lack of balance in something else.

So Feelers are likely to neglect thinky academic learning...
P types are likely to neglect administration
J types neglect sponenaity and miss various life opportunities as a result.

Readers (who almost always look down on people who don't read), miss life opportunitites through lack of doing.

INTP's miss out on being ESFJ....

Actually MBTI is about peoples lack of balances or they wouldn't show tendancies towards any category....Hence I think the questions is bonkers sorry...

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
And Ti isn't a function that seeks internal consistency and balance.

Riiight...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
And Ti isn't a function that seeks internal consistency and balance.

Riiight...

Imo its not, but it works with other functions and they do all that together.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Everyone who expresses a strong tendancy towards something almost certainly has a lack of balance in something else.

So Feelers are likely to neglect thinky academic learning...
P types are likely to neglect administration
J types neglect sponenaity and miss various life opportunities as a result.

Readers (who almost always look down on people who don't read), miss life opportunitites through lack of doing.

INTP's miss out on being ESFJ....

Actually MBTI is about peoples lack of balances or they wouldn't show tendancies towards any category....Hence I think the questions is bonkers sorry...

Yea, i agree. It just so happens that the personality of the INTP is diametrically opposed enough to the general order of American society and the most dominant personalities as to lead to social isolation quite easily. In our society, we are quiet types, but we stand out a lot. In our society, standing out can be quite good, however, but since we do it in a highly introverted way, it often comes off as strange and unusual to everyone else. They lack understanding and perspective. Our only options are to mimic the behavior predominant in our own environment lest the environment turn against us and we find ourselves not able to gain anything from it. In most cases, the INTP must accept that he will never be as integrated into the environment/society as other types. He/she is forever destined to be set apart. It is up to them to decide whether this will become their strength or their weakness.

Being a minority in any group of human beings usually predisposes you to being at a disadvantage in the group, be it in race or how you think/personality. For this species, the social environment is the most important of all, and is essentially what shapes our reality. As sentient beings, we also have the ability to change our environment, physical or social, to a degree unlike any other life form. As individuals we must take full advantage of this power to effect change in our lives.

Control the environment, control the game, control the world.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Being a minority in any group of human beings usually predisposes you to being at a disadvantage in the group, be it in race or how you think/personality. For this species, the social environment is the most important of all, and is essentially what shapes our reality. As sentient beings, we also have the ability to change our environment, physical or social, to a degree unlike any other life form. As individuals we must take full advantage of this power to effect change in our lives.

Control the environment, control the game, control the world.

You can of course big up your "I'm a different being/perspective"... I do think it gets seriously better for NT's (not just INTP...ENTJs seem to fair the best) around mid 30's.... they start to get their proper life challenges and they come into their own.

NT's by this point may have confidence issues... But they can push through and aim for the stars/control the game....

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
You can of course big up your "I'm a different being/perspective"... I do think it gets seriously better for NT's (not just INTP...ENTJs seem to fair the best) around mid 30's.... they start to get their proper life challenges and they come into their own.

NT's by this point may have confidence issues... But they can push through and aim for the stars/control the game....

It gets better then because both you AND your peers are starting to mature and enter midlife, a point at which both begin to develop their lesser functions and balance out. At that point, the rift between all the sensors in the world and the intuitives becomes somewhat less, and greater wisdom leads to better interactions with eachother. Essentially, both you and your environment are changing.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
It gets better then because both you AND your peers are starting to mature and enter midlife, a point at which both begin to develop their lesser functions and balance out. At that point, the rift between all the sensors in the world and the intuitives becomes somewhat less, and greater wisdom leads to better interactions with eachother. Essentially, both you and your environment are changing.

Hey do you think thats it, or is it about changing priorities... by mid life most S types are nearly at the point they will reach in their careers/socail advancement. The N's are late maturers so still have a bit more drive to them, or they tend to be in a more peer based society.

Keirsy's book is intersting because his first real taste of other NT's was at Uni - where there was just more of them per '00 than in normal life... Hence the balance is slightly more balanced...

Why I'm doubting that by mid 30's their is more balanced because I don't think it's true in that way they may be more developed their weaker functions, but they have also over developed other areas to quite extremes... sorry don't think I'm communicating this thought well. At 20 the F function is 10% of a 100% TF scale... at 30 it's 10% of the TF scale but the scale got bigger at both sides... (again not well explained - the 10% are off different volumes)....

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hey do you think thats it, or is it about changing priorities... by mid life most S types are nearly at the point they will reach in their careers/socail advancement. The N's are late maturers so still have a bit more drive to them, or they tend to be in a more peer based society.

Keirsy's book is intersting because his first real taste of other NT's was at Uni - where there was just more of them per '00 than in normal life... Hence the balance is slightly more balanced...

Why I'm doubting that by mid 30's their is more balanced because I don't think it's true in that way they may be more developed their weaker functions, but they have also over developed other areas to quite extremes... sorry don't think I'm communicating this thought well. At 20 the F function is 10% of a 100% TF scale... at 30 it's 10% of the TF scale but the scale got bigger at both sides... (again not well explained - the 10% are off different volumes)....

I think there are a host of other factors the effect people as they age, not just a further development of the functions. Jung believed that growth occurred through the differentiation of functions, where your strengths grow stronger and more defined. However, i don' think that's the full picture. I see that as people age they learn to think in new ways and use different skills than they had at an earlier age, or at least that's how it is for me. Some people, however, get stuck in the same ways of thinking forever, and only develop their proffered functions without developing much on the other end or learning to use it. And what I mean here is mostly in being able to use your tertiary and inferior functions (for me it would be Si and Fe) to a greater degree in later life such that they aren't expressed in a purely immature manner, but have a level of maturity that actually makes them functional in every day life. I'm not really talking about using Fi if you're Ti dominant.

Like for me, my function order is Ti Ne Si/Se Fe. As I mature, I should be more adept at incorporating the latter two function into my thinking and in how I interact with people/the world. I believe this usually comes after your dominant functions have reached a certain level of maturity and differentiation. Or maybe I'm just theorizing and seeing things based on my own drives and way of thinking, which is to constantly evolve as much as possible.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
em, not sure. I don't think they ever get a full balance if I'm honest. they get better at some of their really weak functions but they are unlikely ever to be truly strong in them... it's just a perspective. I guess it comes out int heir lives somewhere....

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
em, not sure. I don't think they ever get a full balance if I'm honest. they get better at some of their really weak functions but they are unlikely ever to be truly strong in them... it's just a perspective. I guess it comes out int heir lives somewhere....

Well it depends on the individual and their environment, as I said in the beginning, as well as your control over it. On a conscious level, it's a very T driven process.