• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Aesthetics

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I like unique things noone has got.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you know if he has a flickr or da account? Id like to see how removed feeling shows on picture.

Portrait photography is something that meny photographers dont like that much. I dont think its some mbti thing, its just that some people see portraits more boring to shoot or to watch than for example landscapes or street photography.

There's a lot of photography that include people's faces that wouldn't be called "portraits" though. The purpose is not to reveal the individual, but to use their face to convey something else. He never shows a face anyway....

I'd rather not link his images, because it would link me to him, which loses a sense of my anonymity....if that makes sense ;)

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm very into clothing, actually.
Not the fashion world, haven't got the money for that, and my hair is cut short and the only thing I do for upkeep is sleep on it.
However, I to do things like dye my hair dark blue.
I like clothes and dressing nice, but I get my clothes for a dollar apiece and buy hair dye at thrift stores... My room is a mess and has masses of clothing covering most surfaces.
I don't wear makeup or perfume and I don't straighten my hair, though. I don't work out or try to lose weight, though I often forget to eat/don't want to, and I stay thin anyway. So I guess you could say it depends on the thing. Things like phones I won't spend money on because one is a status symbol or prettier. I don't spend money on things because they're pretty.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
Starting in my mid-20s, I began to lust after balance, harmony and elegance in architecture, landscaping, art and design. My taste is classic yet eclectic.

In clothes I go for classic, well made, excellect fabrics, perfectly tailored but only in my own personal range of colors. Although in a certain scary decade I had my share of shoulder pads and leggings.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
they affect people's perception of me. so if i gotta get anywhere in THIS world, they gotta be at least somewhat important to me....and they are

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Why is this important? The aesthetics is arbitrarily dictated by mass marketers. The system is designed to extract a constant revenue stream from the controlled consumers. What payback do you get from conforming to this standard?

This is not intended as an attack. I am simply trying to understand a value system that is so different from my own.

Since when did I have a reason for liking things? :shock: It just is. It's as simple as that :D

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
There's a lot of photography that include people's faces that wouldn't be called "portraits" though. The purpose is not to reveal the individual, but to use their face to convey something else. He never shows a face anyway....

I'd rather not link his images, because it would link me to him, which loses a sense of my anonymity....if that makes sense ;)

Whaa? That's insane. I love capturing peoples emotions in my photos. The human eye is the most beautiful thing. They're so expressive, you can basically see a person's soul through their eyes. I would never blur out someone's face in my photos.

3293756376_932108f24c.jpg

3502529578_a093604c33.jpg

How silly :huh:

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I pretty much agree with this:

I find them very important, though someone who looks at me or my space wouldn't think that.

I guess it's an idiosyncratic sense.

Things like colours and lighting have an effect on me, and I like them to be right. But I don't think people would notice that I care, because (for example) I find a degree of chaos/asymmetry/disorder most aesthetically pleasing.

There are only fairly specific things I care about aesthetically, though. My clothes, for example, generally aren't one of them.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
How important are aesthetics to you, NTs?

I ask because in my experience, many NTs don't really give a crap, so to speak, about how stuff looks, be it their person, their clothes, or their surroundings/belongings. I, on the other hand, find aesthetics to be very important. I have a definite sense of what is beautiful and what is not, and I definitely prefer for things to be on the beautiful side of the spectrum. I chalk it up to having a 4 wing on the Enneagram.

So what role does aesthetics play in your lives, if any?
It's very important, but it's not the #1 priority over all other things so to speak.

You should see my room, the way I dress, what I like in the opposite sex, and the way I compose things in fashion, photography, drawing, and web design. I keep it "Timeless" :)

Then again, I'm a very visual person according the shit below me:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whaa? That's insane. I love capturing peoples emotions in my photos. The human eye is the most beautiful thing. They're so expressive, you can basically see a person's soul through their eyes. I would never blur out someone's face in my photos.

I agree, and my favorite thing to draw is a person's face, especially the eyes.
I have no idea why he never photographed faces. I just realized it one day and it felt significant to me, as far as commentary on his personality. I'm not saying it's an NT thing, but it's in line with his general approach to art.

Interestingly, he was drawn to eyes in other photographs. I think it would be too revealing of himself to photograph someone else's face.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I like hot girls

LOLertarian

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I like paintings with dark, deeply saturated schemes. I also like Asian paintings, but despise anime. :headphne:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Aesthetics are extremely important to me. I've made a significant portion of my income in audio/visual media.

I can't stand visual clutter, preferring clean open spaces and lines. I avoid busy patterns. I like to surround myself with attractive people, or with people that look and/or dress uniquely.

I also buy higher quality things, when I actually get around to buying anything. I don't see the point in skimping on myself if I have the money.

veins

I agree, and my favorite thing to draw is a person's face, especially the eyes.
I have no idea why he never photographed faces. I just realized it one day and it felt significant to me, as far as commentary on his personality. I'm not saying it's an NT thing, but it's in line with his general approach to art.

Interestingly, he was drawn to eyes in other photographs. I think it would be too revealing of himself to photograph someone else's face.
It may be that to photograph a person in an identifiable way (that is, capture the face) and be able to publish that photograph - in galleries, for sale, or whatever, he would have to get the person to sign a release form, which might be troublesome.

Some people don't really like it when I've already taken the shot and asked for permission afterwards, but then when I ask first, it ruined my intended shot. Maybe the same is applied for him?

EDIT: As for aesthetics, I do appreciate them in my appearance. For some reason, I can't be bothered with my room or anything like that. For example, I don't care about driving a beat up car that's covered in bird crap with dents and scratches all over the place.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It may be that to photograph a person in an identifiable way (that is, capture the face) and be able to publish that photograph - in galleries, for sale, or whatever, he would have to get the person to sign a release form, which might be troublesome.

Some people don't really like it when I've already taken the shot and asked for permission afterwards, but then when I ask first, it ruined my intended shot. Maybe the same is applied for him?

Nah, he doesn't make a living taking photos. He lives in his parents' basement. He's an INTP, come on :newwink: :D

He could make a living, as he is genuinely talented, he just doesn't have that kind of ambition.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I think I'd make a pretty good photographer, but I'd need to buy a camera first.