• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTPs vs. INTJs: Who are the bigger nerds?

Which type tends to be more nerdy?

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What do you think?

I like this definition for the word:

Nerd - an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits
- Webster's dictionary

Jon Snow

MBTI Type
INFP
The 2 INTJs i know are fat, so id say they are, although one of them is shorter then me, but he still outweighs me so he's still bigger. :coffee:
Those damn nerds.

F

FigerPuppet

INTJ after reading the definitions below. Can't change my vote though.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Define bigger and nerd.

I need this sorted out before I can cast my vote.

That or my vote can be bought by someone who wishes to tip the results.

R

Riva

definitely INTPs.

Nerds have a thing about knowing all the BS in the world which is almost always useless.

and when it comes to being king of all bullshit, INTPs are the best.

Whereas INTJs know things which are useful. Yes as anyone would they would also learn BS, which is inevitable.

But out of all the rationals I say, INTJs are the least likely to care about things that does not have any practical values.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
To clarify, these are the definitions I stand by

Nerd : "a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious " and/or " an intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession"

I see the Nerd as the book worm that just likes to study. He wears glasses and his last name is Gates. He is single-minded.

Geek : "a person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest" and/or "an unfashionable or socially inept person"

The Geek is the bum. He isn't necessarily doing anything productive with his time. He's just curious and adores Star Wars.

So Nerd = INTJ.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Define bigger and nerd.

I like this definition, from the Random House dictionary:

Nerd - an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit

And "bigger" as in "more so".

wolfy

awsm
I was going to say the person who defined it was the biggest nerd. I suppose I'll go INTP. Looks like an ENTP can be kind of nerdy too.

R

Riva

I was going to say the person who defined it was the biggest nerd. I suppose I'll go INTP. Looks like an ENTP can be kind of nerdy too.

:steam:

son of a %*&%@

;)

Nerds can be cool too.

No one said they can't be cool.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like this definition, from the Random House dictionary:

Nerd - an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit

That makes it sound like an INTP win here. Gives an image that the obsessive hobby or pursuit may not be practical.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
That makes it sound like an INTP win here. Gives an image that the obsessive hobby or pursuit may not be practical.

Oh yeah good point. I figure INTJs would be more "single-minded" in their pursuits, but the non-practical lengths INTPs will go surely outranks them.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Imo

Intj = auto nerd and usually are really big nerds

Intp = has tendency to be a nerd and sometimes can be really big nerds

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
What do you think?

I like this definition for the word:

Nerd - an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits
- Webster's dictionary

By your first definition it would be INTJ. An INTP can pursue intellectual interests pretty much anywhere. INTJ's require that they are academic, that there's been some amount of debate on a subject before they will pursue it. This is because they have Te which demands that there's already a system in place before they show up. They're intellectually late, kind of like being fashionably late.

Oh and I don't think that intellectual and academic pursuits are mutually exclusive as the definition might suppose. Rather, I think that academic pursuits are a subdivision of intellectual ones.

Oh and INTPs are way too socially aware to be truly nerdy while INTJs seem to be on Pluto most of the time. Anyone wanna tell them that it isn't a planet anymore?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Who says INTPs and INTJs are necessarily intellectual in the first place?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Who says INTPs and INTJs are necessarily intellectual in the first place?

I don't think the average INTP or INTJ is especially intellectual, unless we use an extremely broad definition of the word.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh look, a social hierarchy. Does someone need some love?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's almost too close to call.

I'd have to say INTP's are nerdier, while INTJ's are dorkier.