• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How are INTP and INTJ different

MBTI Type
INTJ
In my experience, the biggest difference is that INTJs think there is a universal best way to do everything, and INTPs like to do what works for them...they prize independence over efficiency. I suppose you could extrapolate from that that INTJs are more theoretical and INTPs are more interested in real-life application.

Of course that could just be a function of the INTPs I am acquainted with.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
how to spot the difference, visually:

INTPs look affected in some way, or somewhat mischevious.
INTJs appear more sober, neutral and contained.

INTPs tend to slouch.
INTJs tend to have a more rigid posture.

INTPs have a more unkempt appearance.
INTJs typically look quite neat by comparison.

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
So yes, INTPs are more like philosophers, driven by truth and the examination of ideas (and not results...the lazy bastards ;)), whereas INTJs are driven by results, efficiency, and their internal vision.

I've met an INTP and an INTJ physicists and boy, do they inhabit different worlds.

The INTP guy does some really hard-core maths, coupled with a very philosophical approach to his science. He's interested in fundamental physics, why we are here, how did we get here, building coherent mega theory-of-everything logical structures. He is a very nice guy, charming in a goofy mysterious way. Once he worked on a single publication for a whole year, which he claims no one reads because it turned out embarrassingly impenetrable (unless you are another INTP). He's a pretty big guy in his field, but he has like. . . no students and no post-docs, only collaborators. He encourages a lot of reading (i.e. taking in information), and he himself reads A LOT.

The INTJ guy is very results-oriented. He likes to say learning is important but you need to get some results *insert terrifying war commando aura*. He's almost a publishing house, and he has this somewhat... aggressive feel to him. Like... even when he's nice and stuff, there's a bite to it and Ps like me feel a bit like we've got to watch out. He thinks theory-of-everything/interpretations of quantum mechanics/etc. stuff is "interesting" but ultimately useless. He has these quirky ideas that go against the grain but he can argue for them till he turns red and blue and ultimately the other person caves in from either agreeing with him or from sheer terror+fatigue.
But usually these quirky ideas end up being pretty much on the ball.
He is also very very precise, and he hates when people waffle. Unlike the somewhat impenetrable publications of the INTP, he writes tersely, to the point, precisely and confidently. When you read his stuff, there's none of the philosophical ramblings and complicated wordings of the INTP, but more of a: THIS IS IT FOOLS, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE. Usually there will also be an I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, AND THIS IS WHY.

how to spot the difference, visually:

INTPs tend to slouch.

Yeah these 2 guys are EXACTLY like that!

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Otherwise all INTPs would be like einstein, obviously not the case

Einstein is sooo ISTP. He is more Se-Ni than Ne-Si. His defence of determinism against the probabilistic picture of reality smacks a lot of Ti that uses Ni for support, rather than Ti that uses defensive Si.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I've met an INTP and an INTJ physicists and boy, do they inhabit different worlds.

The INTP guy does some really hard-core maths, coupled with a very philosophical approach to his science. He's interested in fundamental physics, why we are here, how did we get here, building coherent mega theory-of-everything logical structures. He is a very nice guy, charming in a goofy mysterious way. Once he worked on a single publication for a whole year, which he claims no one reads because it turned out embarrassingly impenetrable (unless you are another INTP). He's a pretty big guy in his field, but he has like. . . no students and no post-docs, only collaborators. He encourages a lot of reading (i.e. taking in information), and he himself reads A LOT.

The INTJ guy is very results-oriented. He likes to say learning is important but you need to get some results *insert terrifying war commando aura*. He's almost a publishing house, and he has this somewhat... aggressive feel to him. Like... even when he's nice and stuff, there's a bite to it and Ps like me feel a bit like we've got to watch out. He thinks theory-of-everything/interpretations of quantum mechanics/etc. stuff is "interesting" but ultimately useless. He has these quirky ideas that go against the grain but he can argue for them till he turns red and blue and ultimately the other person caves in from either agreeing with him or from sheer terror+fatigue.
But usually these quirky ideas end up being pretty much on the ball.
He is also very very precise, and he hates when people waffle. Unlike the somewhat impenetrable publications of the INTP, he writes tersely, to the point, precisely and confidently. When you read his stuff, there's none of the philosophical ramblings and complicated wordings of the INTP, but more of a: THIS IS IT FOOLS, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE. Usually there will also be an I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, AND THIS IS WHY.

:rofl1:

I giggled maintained the INTJ stoney-faced expression the entire way through this description :nice:

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
In my experience, the biggest difference is that INTJs think there is a universal best way to do everything, and INTPs like to do what works for them...they prize independence over efficiency. I suppose you could extrapolate from that that INTJs are more theoretical and INTPs are more interested in real-life application.
So I am INTP.

INTPs tend to slouch.

This quote really makes it sound like I'm INTJ.

Is it possible to have both features??? More I read about INTP and INTJ they both fit me perfectly. I guess i'm kinda stuck in between

It makes me wonder, we can't just have "one type" of personality since our ancestors all had different personality type over generations. If you look at the 16 personality type I can at least find couple features that fit me, not many but some. my dad for example is ISTP and i have a lot of similarity.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Try these:
INTP Profile
INTJ Profile

There are some superficial similarities, so yes, some characteristics overlap. But you're one or the other.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think when I tried to make suggestions to make the INFP's forum more efficient, I knew I was an INTJ.

No seriously. Last time I was there organization was a disaster. Repetitive boards everywhere. So hard to find what you wanted. And then when the INFPs found me there they went "aww so kyooot an INTJ" :wubbie: and ignored my suggestions. :steam:

What I mean is, you'll figure it out. In a flash of insight.

Then again I guess that's more of an INTJ thing. If you're an INTP it may take more analysis.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
But you're one or the other
why is it one or the other? There are mixed race and it doesn't mean they have to pick which race they belong to.

EDIT: I just read those and they both seem to describe me. Except about the part where "often correct others". I wouldn't care less if you are doing it wrong long as it's not bothering me.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
haha I know for sure i'm not INFP.

EDIT: Honestly I wish I can classified myself as "one type" but i know that's impossible. Well thanks for your feedback guys! I guess I'm INTP/INTJ i must the first hybrid.

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
why is it one or the other? There are mixed race and it doesn't mean they have to pick which race they belong to.

MBTI isn't necessarily based on inheritance (which you seem to think based on your other thread). It's about what sides you lean toward, based on how you think. If I find that I identify with INTJ I could attribute that to high Ni/Te, but that doesn't mean I'm an INTJ.

Not that it really matters, it's just a nice box to put yourself in so you have some foundation to work off of when trying to figure yourself out.. call yourself whatever you want

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I first took the personality test I couldn't tell if i was INTJ or INTP since they are very similar. what are the big difference between each other?

INTJs and INTPs are very different.

INTJs use abstract inner visions to decisively organize the outer world into new and useful applications. (If forced to choose, they will sacrifice internal consistency for expediency.)

INTPs observe abstract patterns and connections in the outer world to create internally consistent theoretical positions. (If forced to choose, they will sacrifice external applicability for internal consistency.)

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Assess your cognitive function hierarchy. I've found that I operate slightly more like an ENTP than an INTP, yet I'm extremely introverted and this has no chance of changing. We're all a mixed bag indeed.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
The fact that you are borderline for traits between the two type descriptions means that the use of questions about whether you look more INTP or INTJ in demeanour, or whether you favour application of theory, will be of somewhat limited use. They confused me no end when I didn't know what I was, because I relate to sizable parts of each (which was largely why I didn't know which I was in the first place).

If you want to work out which you are, I strongly recommend prioritising the different avenues people give you. Work out what it fundamentally means to be an INTJ or an INTP - whether it's fitting the description best, or fitting the cognitive functions best, or whatever - and then use that to determine which you are.

Because, if you're already unsure of your type, all of the 'telling signs' people will give you are likely to go in different directions, and only confuse you more. Whatever you settle on, you may have to accept that in significant ways, you'll be more similar to the other type. For example, I'm NiTeFi, which I take to mean INTJ, but I favour understanding and theoretical accuracy over practical usefulness any day.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
the difference is that intj's have a way cooler description with a bunch of cocky ego boosting special moving mountains nonsense added to it.