• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How are INTP and INTJ different

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
INTJ are bitches INTPs are cool.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

At the risk of ruining my joke, I want to make it clear that I don't feel this way, and would like to give the INTJs a collective hug.
:hug:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTPs seem to assume I have 4 things.

1) My copy of psychological types handy... nope I'm not at home at the moment nor will I be for some time
2) A scanner handy... nope.
3) Lots of time to engage in said activity if I had the materials. Nope.
4) The inclination to do anything for INTP who has on several occasions on the forum admitted to targeting INTJs because it gets him wet... Absolutely not, it's simply a waste of time and the last time we played that game he ignored it. Experience is a hard master INTPs.

The difference between INTP and INTJ? See 1-4.

took you so long to figure out that jung talked about inferior qualities, not inferior function and come up with some excuses not to take a picture of the text?

Bobble

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
?
INTJs and INTPs both realize that most subjects have multiple truths, not definitive answers.

Arguing one point of view is fine to an INTJ as long as the person arguing it realizes that even though he is right, there is more to it.

INTPs can counter attack everything, even their own side of an argument. When they argue, they take a stance, dig in and defend it relentlessly.

INTPs will take on all comers, big or small, all the while knowing that there is more to it.

INTJs don't realize this and will not stop trying to get someone as smart as a INTX to realize that there is more to it.

The argument will only end when the INTJ gives up on the person not the subject.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
INTJs and INTPs both realize that most subjects have multiple truths, not definitive answers.

INTPs can counter attack everything, even their own side of an argument. When they argue, they take a stance, dig in and defend it relentlessly.

INTPs will take on all comers, big or small, all the while knowing that there is more to it.

I'd modify that by saying once they take a stand "they take a stance, dig in and defend it relentlessly." They may spend some time before committing to a position. Of course once they do take a position... yeah, they pretty much defend it to the last ditch.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how to spot the difference, visually:
INTPs have a more unkempt appearance.
INTJs typically look quite neat by comparison.

I completely agree.

My fiance is an INTJ. He is never unkempt. Laces are done a certain way. He is always prepared and buttoned up, for any meeting. He oversees people, gets stuff done, or more precisely, he gets people to get stuff done, is sort of the shepherd dog. He needs to be occupied, though he can be very lazy during his 'off' times. If he doesn't have a project, he is fine at first, then goes nuts. Very neat and very particular with his space, very focused when working.

My INTJ has a great knack at hanging pictures up. Months later, he will re-organize the pictures and declare the new version 'better'. :shrug:

My boss is an INTP. He looks like an absent-minded professor, with hair going one way or another. A kindly man BUT can be very exacting and has a memory like a bear trap. If employees show emotion or there is an emotional issue in the office, he is flummoxed. He can seem incredibly indecisive, but I think it's more like his working toward a theoretical ideal. Can sometimes seem like he's in another world. Is very likeable to clients.

My INTJ is very likeable, too, and comes across as an extrovert. The difference is definitely the J. Both are fast drivers; the INTP is more reckless. The difference is, the INTJ swears at everyone else on the road. :wtf:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INTPs are fat nerds. INTJs are scrawny nerds.

deleted
People, people. Don't rehash Keirsey. Learn the functions. :tsk:

INTPs argue logic. They will analyze and pick apart all the different sides to look for the reason behind them. They'll register, often instinctively, if something like a bit of knowledge or procedure is correct or not. They easily find flaws and orient themselves and others not to make them. They rely on their logic for everything.

character examples: L from 'Death Note', Walter White from 'Breaking Bad', Daria Morgendorffer

INTJs argue ideas. They will describe the insights of their imagination, and what pops up as a more complete image they think could very well be right. They're comfortable with the new and original, and are not afraid to stand opposite to common knowledge and promote change. They rely on their intuition for everything.

character examples: Light from 'Death Note', Brian Griffin from 'Family Guy', Dr. House

I tend to not agree with a number of statements here about INTPs vs INTJs: in summary "INTPs are calm and thoughtful theorists with nothing to lose but time," "INTJs are resolute know-it-alls and tend towards action and strategy." I can go on about them here but kept it succinct.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intps are a lot less conformist generally. Intjs are more driven generally.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP - The Detached Philosopher - The Sophisticated Mathematician - The Thoughtful Analyst, The Architect
INTJ - The Supergenius Scientist - The Intuitive Visionary - The Determined Strategist, The Mastermind

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs argue logic. They will analyze and pick apart all the different sides to look for the reason behind them. They'll register, often instinctively, if something like a bit of knowledge or procedure is correct or not. They easily find flaws and orient themselves and others not to make them. They rely on their logic for everything.

This is pretty accurate. Good job.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to the INTJ forum debate of INTPs Vs. INTJs, INTPs are the ones who argue theoretical ideas and INTJs are the ones who seek a practical application. After all, the INTP philosopher stereotype seems to be more idea oriented than the INTJ scientist stereotype of experimentation.

I would like somebody to prove this wrong with empirical evidence.

Also where do ISTPs come into play in this argument, because not only do a lot of INTPs identify with INTJs, but a lot of INTPs (including myself) also identify with ISTP!