• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How are INTP and INTJ different

rav3n

INTJs arent about what might be imo, they are about what is in their own little world. things either are facts or they arent(to them), things that can be proven is real, things that might be is not proven, so its not taken in. INTPs take in all and then think what is the percentage of it being true, even the really unlikely things are considered and if it cant be proven false, it still might be true, but its not fitted into the internal framework until its seen as being at least most likely true(and even then it not being true is concidered) that describes what is real in the outer world. INTJs take in only facts, what might be true is not true if richard feynman(or other trusted sources) doesent says so.

this sort of black & white world view puts INTJs to live in their own fantasy world, but because INTPs sees black, white and everything in between, they have stronger connection to the real world. i think thats because INTJs Pe function is inferior and INTPs have aux Pe
INTJs are very much about what might be, from the perspective of what they want it to be, so they create their own form of framework. That's the shift I'm talking about. Framework A can easily be Framework Z or maybe B or maybe AB or maybe A but with different content/context, reliant on their perspective or wants. They manipulate reality, sometimes consciously, sometimes due to unconscious bias.

That said, both types sometimes use their shadow functions. As an example (IMO), Night who's an INTJ, sometimes appears to use Ti while dissecting or explaining in detail.

Nicodemus

INTJs arent about what might be imo, they are about what is in their own little world. things either are facts or they arent(to them), things that can be proven is real, things that might be is not proven, so its not taken in. INTPs take in all and then think what is the percentage of it being true, even the really unlikely things are considered and if it cant be proven false, it still might be true, but its not fitted into the internal framework until its seen as being at least most likely true(and even then it not being true is concidered) that describes what is real in the outer world. INTJs take in only facts, what might be true is not true if richard feynman(or other trusted sources) doesent says so.

this sort of black & white world view puts INTJs to live in their own fantasy world, but because INTPs sees black, white and everything in between, they have stronger connection to the real world. i think thats because INTJs Pe function is inferior and INTPs have aux Pe
Your INTJ friend really gives you a hard time, hm?

A

Anew Leaf

I'm talking about the MBTI INTP type not the people who relate to this type.

cerr.jpg

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ thread topic - INTP's more open-ended. INTJ's more into closure. easiest way to tell them apart, usually. the superficial J/P stuff doesn't work, though, because INTPs can be really meticulous and INTJs can be kind of spacey.

Bobbie said:
if you really want to find out how much INTP you have in you all you have to do is join INTPc. The members on that forum might vary IRL but INTPc is not real life. It's a forum that is only interested in the INTP version of you a nothing else. Try to express the other aspects of you and see if it's embraced in the same way. The forum understands that there is more to you but they don't want to hear it. They want INTP type answers and nothing else.

So join INTPc and see how long you can stand it. The longer you can, the more INTP you are. That might not be a good thing though because if you fit right in that will mean you are a very solid and generic INTP and that makes you less unique and more part of a group. For some people that's what they always wanted and to other that would sound like hell. But at least you will know for sure how much INTP you are.

If you try It let me know how it turned out for you.

INTPs sound so much better on paper. Why give so much great qualities to a person who is completely incapable of ever using it. Not only are they clueless as to what to do with it but also unwilling to do shit with it. Then to have this fuck you personality would be so much more understandable if they actually worked hard at accomplishing these qualities but the fact that it comes naturally to them just screams douchbaggery. It's like being born into money but acting as if you earned it. I share a lot of the same qualities but almost none of their personality.

I sometimes wonder if learning didn't come so naturally to them would they have been unwilling to learn? It's as if they developed that trait as a survival technique. Without that what would they have? How would they function I wonder?

:rofl1:

jesus, someone hates INTPs.

take two :chillpill::chillpill: and try posting again in the morning!

(kidding)

Bobble said:
INTPs seem to make what comes naturally to them seem important and anything that doesn't they act as of it is not important. In other words, of it's easy it's important, if it's hard forget it. What is this type willing to work hard on?

actually, i know an ENFJ who does this way worse than my INTPs (2 in the close family).

it seems to be somewhat related to "competency" enneatypes - 3, 5, and 1 - who feel shame, fear, and anger, respectively, when they are unable to perform at something. thus they tend to put down or ignore the things they are not good at, making them experience less cognitive dissonance. it's not so much that they don't want to get better at things, but that there is shame/fear/anger in facing up to the fact that they are not good in some way.

in other words, my guess is the INTPs who are bothering you so much are 5s, as many INTPs are, and you are experiencing the typical unhealthy e5 (especially 5w4) "i am better/smarter/more clever than you"ness. if this is true, it belies insecurity. the more putting down and avoidance, the more insecurity, and at least with e5, the more learning will take place in private. as for INTPc, the vast majority of INTPs seem to enjoy logical debate to some extent. still, even a fair number of INTPs will tell you they do not enjoy INTPc, at least not as much as typoc.

my major point being, the INTPs i know are quite lovely, and i respect them and their knowledge very much. they have their quirks and specific interests, certainly, and don't always want to move beyond that, but so what? it's not up to you what they choose to do with their skills, just as it's not up to you how rich people spend their money. ironically, it sounds like you are saying that you know better than they do, so you're essentially doing exactly what you blame them of.
:thinking:

eh, just give them a chance. find some healthy INTPs. they're some of the best people to hang out with, imo. and incredibly skilled in their disciplines of choice.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTJs are so fun to mess with :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
@ thread topic - INTP's more open-ended. INTJ's more into closure. easiest way to tell them apart, usually. the superficial J/P stuff doesn't work, though, because INTPs can be really meticulous and INTJs can be kind of spacey.

INTPs are into closure on certain things more than INTJs. its about Je wanting closure, INTJs need closure on T, INTPs need closure on F. since INTJs have stronger Je(they focus on it more), so they tend to want closure on more things than INTPs. INTPs are more open ended about T stuff.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
INTJs live in some world of their own and doesent have much understanding about what is real, or they see facts about the real world and draw their own conclusions from them and create their own world out of those facts.

INTPs are best

:truthy:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
INTJs are so fun to mess with :D

Ah, classic. One of the puzzling things about TPs...if you want respect/understanding with regard to who you are does it really seem like a good idea to use other people's emotions/concerns etc. for kicks or entertainment? You may very well believe this is the way you figure people out (and I can see how this works partly), by poking them, but in fact you obscure large parts of what it is to be an INTJ to yourself because you're eroding trust...if your goal is true understanding, this doesn't make sense. Or it doesn't make sense to only do that without also providing ways in which the INTJ will feel safe to open up to you.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ah, classic. One of the puzzling things about TPs...if you want respect/understanding with regard to who you are does it really seem like a good idea to use other people's emotions/concerns etc. for kicks or entertainment? You may very well believe this is the way you figure people out (and I can see how this works partly), by poking them, but in fact you obscure large parts of what it is to be an INTJ to yourself because you're eroding trust...if your goal is true understanding, this doesn't make sense. Or it doesn't make sense to only do that without also providing ways in which the INTJ will feel safe to open up to you.

Clearly, the INTPs are joking. I have noticed INTJs have difficulty becoming light-hearted. Sure, that conclusion is based solely on one friend and the post I just quoted, but... I was going somewhere with this. :unsure:

N

NPcomplete

No, it was a reference to yours. It's yours that she is............tracing.

Huh were you referring to me? I meant tracing as in tracking stuff. As in stalking. Not whatever thing your minds conjured. :D

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Clearly, the INTPs are joking. I have noticed INTJs have difficulty becoming light-hearted. Sure, that conclusion is based solely on one friend and the post I just quoted, but... I was going somewhere with this. :unsure:

I suggest you read the post and don't get hung up on the fact someone reacts differently (negatively) from what you would have liked or expected or think is right.

I grew up with a TP brother and some of the things he considered just joking and maybe even a fun thing to do/share seemed very cruel to me and my INTJ father, they'd often have a manipulative, or power-struggle related aspect from our perspectives. My brother used to think we were overreacting and had no sense of humour and would never validate our feelings. So for the longest time all he saw was Ni-Te.

Just don't complain that's all you see from INTJs if you're not prepared to empathise a little. It's such a tiresome pattern.

And just to extend you the same courtesy: haha.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Huh were you referring to me? I meant tracing as in tracking stuff. As in stalking. Not whatever thing your minds conjured. :D

Dang it! The joke got lost. Oh well, it happens. Yeah, I was implying that you were..........tracking/stalking his pness. Cuz that's the kind of girl you are.

Oh, wait, you thought I was talking about the male anatomy? I can't believe you! I was just talking cognitive functions and you go and turn it into a discussion about genitalia. Haha...now I'm just toying with you. :D

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't think INTPs are automatically smarter than INTJs, or any other type really. As a former J, some traits I had then that are different now include: more productive, goal orientated, believed in one "truth", liked to plan activities out, less moody, wanted to "change teh world" with my revolutionary ideas and thought myself superior to anyone else who wasn't like me. I've also noticed INTJs seem to be friendlier or more tactful and have a usually humorous approach to situations. Though this could have had nothing to do with type.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are INTJ's more likely to make decisions based on feeling (3rd function) as opposed to INTP's (4th function)?

:peepwall:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suspect so, but remember that INTJ feeling is Fi, meaning our decisions are influenced by our personal standards of what is right rather than a desire to please or respond to any external entity. The tertiary for INTPs is Si. When I learned this, I understood better why my INTP's decisions are often influenced by personal history, family tradition, etc. It always seemed rather illogical to me, but no more so than my own sense that something is "just plain right/wrong". Generally, we both manage to run our Fi/Si inputs through our respective N-T circuits before acting, though, so they influence our decisions, but don't dictate them.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I suggest you read the post and don't get hung up on the fact someone reacts differently (negatively) from what you would have liked or expected or think is right.

I grew up with a TP brother and some of the things he considered just joking and maybe even a fun thing to do/share seemed very cruel to me and my INTJ father, they'd often have a manipulative, or power-struggle related aspect from our perspectives. My brother used to think we were overreacting and had no sense of humour and would never validate our feelings. So for the longest time all he saw was Ni-Te.

Just don't complain that's all you see from INTJs if you're not prepared to empathise a little. It's such a tiresome pattern.

And just to extend you the same courtesy: haha.

Well malice is about intent. I'm not sure why anyone would get upset if there's no intent of malice. That just doesn't make any sense. I'll give an example of something I've done that you'd probably smack me for. I was talking to my INTJ (and pretty catholic) then-girlfriend one saturday night, and made some off-handed remark about her visiting her imaginary friend the following morning. She did not take it well, and I'm fairly sure that remark was a solid portion of why she broke up with me like 2 weeks later. I was pretty clearly joking, and emphasized that to make sure I wasn't just misunderstood, and I am still confused about why she got upset. Can you explain to me why someone would get upset over a joke? Or if I've totally missed the point, could you explain a little better?

Communication is admittedly not one of my people's strong points (or mine at least), so some of our jokes are not taken as such, and that's a legitimate fault.