• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How are INTP and INTJ different

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
:rofl1:

I giggled maintained the INTJ stoney-faced expression the entire way through this description :nice:

MAH BAD!
I think said-INTJ is actually...... ENTJ.
LOL.

My INTJ friend says this about herself:
intj == bossy but kinda lazy. we basically do not want to deal with people enough to tell them off and prefer a dictatorial stance cos efficient

hehehe :D

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
When I first took the personality test I couldn't tell if i was INTJ or INTP since they are very similar. what are the big difference between each other?

If you pay your bills in time and your house is clean, chances are you're an INTJ, if not probably INTP. :alttongue:

There are some superficial similarities, so yes, some characteristics overlap. But you're one or the other.

Likely, but preferences can be very close to each other. My friends were amazed I had classified myself as an Introvert, since I do like to go out and be sociable. Function theory doesn't always help either, cause my Ti and Se are about as strong as each other. I definitely have a preference for introversion, but it's just not that big.

why is it one or the other? There are mixed race and it doesn't mean they have to pick which race they belong to.

EDIT: I just read those and they both seem to describe me. Except about the part where "often correct others". I wouldn't care less if you are doing it wrong long as it's not bothering me.

For now, just leave it at INT, maybe you'll figure out the rest later.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Likely, but preferences can be very close to each other. My friends were amazed I had classified myself as an Introvert, since I do like to go out and be sociable. Function theory doesn't always help either, cause my Ti and Se are about as strong as each other. I definitely have a preference for introversion, but it's just not that big.

That's very true. Although in my opinion there's a big difference between a shift on the E-I dichotomy (which only changes order a little) and a shift on the other dichotomies (which completely change the functions used). So the difference between an ENTJ and an INTJ is nowhere near as big as that of INTJ-INTP.

MAH BAD!
I think said-INTJ is actually...... ENTJ.
LOL.
Haha, well it still certainly smacked of NTJ.
intj == bossy but kinda lazy. we basically do not want to deal with people enough to tell them off and prefer a dictatorial stance cos efficient
Fact!

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ i don't get it. from what i've seen, INTP humor is usually kind of irreverent and decidedly illogical.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Assuming a correlation between "logical correctness" and a "good sense of humor" is kinda... funny.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
why is it one or the other? There are mixed race and it doesn't mean they have to pick which race they belong to.

EDIT: I just read those and they both seem to describe me. Except about the part where "often correct others". I wouldn't care less if you are doing it wrong long as it's not bothering me.

Its one or other because functions work in different order with these types. With intp uses mainly Ti helped by Ne, intj uses Ni helped by Te. Even if you got all of these functions working pretty well, there is still two main functions that you mostly use and that are different with these types. Ti + Ne is kind of like that you first percieve the world and see hidden meaning and what could be and then you use main function Ti to think it over and analyze these ideas and you spend most the time analyzing stuff with Ti, and look out the hidden meanings on the world while doing the analyzing. Im not too sure how intjs work but i think its more like that you get ideas more using Te and interracting with other geeks and share ideas(or learning at school for example), then you use Ni to fit the ideas of what could be possible(from yourself) from the learned facts.

Naturally other functions have theyr effects, but two main functions shows the most. Intj can have good Ti and Ne, but having well working functions that arent main functions isnt same as using main functions. They might end you up with same resaults, but the resault will still come from different way of thinking, so its not the same thing.

P's are usually more laid back and accepting people as they are(doesent mean that they would like them, even tho might accept them as they are). J's are usually more uptight and not so accepting on other peoples differences(and that why not liking some people).

Intps are general smart and able to think creatively, even if they didnt learn theyr stuff from books or at school. Intjs need and want(more usually than intps) more of studuiyng at school, from books or with interracting using Te with other geek friends. And theyr more book smart. Intps dont that often think that its important to learn this stuff in school, because they can see alternative things to learn and study better, can pass basic school without much(or eny) effort and are more lazy at studying unimportant things. However if intp thinks that the stuff teached at school is important to them, they will study and learn hard. Intjs seem to think more that school is important because they can learn stuff in school and because they can get to better schools later and get better jobs.

Im quite much like mix of intj and intp and i had 5/6 times intj resault from mbti test(none intp), but im still intp because i use Ti guided by Ne mainly.

My humour mostly comes from Ne and adjusted more or less by Ti. I dunno where intj humour comes, but doesent really matter since its mostly(not allways) pretty boring geek humour enyways :D .

And yeah intps tend to ramble bit more what comes to theyr heard, because P's are more spontaneus and it shows when interracting with other people.

im tired..

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
Im not too sure how intjs work but i think its more like that you get ideas more using Te and interracting with other geeks and share ideas(or learning at school for example), then you use Ni to fit the ideas of what could be possible(from yourself) from the learned facts.
Ah, my ideas all come from Ni (or Ne). Te doesn't give you ideas - it's entirely about what you do with them.

INTJ ideas come from an internal source primarily, not so much from 'interacting with other geeks'. From my understanding, Ne is more likely to be inspired by external sources, since it's an extroverted function.

I think Si is the function that determines what's possible based on previously learned information/acquired experience.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ah, my ideas all come from Ni (or Ne). Te doesn't give you ideas - it's entirely about what you do with them.

INTJ ideas come from an internal source primarily, not so much from 'interacting with other geeks'. From my understanding, Ne is more likely to be inspired by external sources, since it's an extroverted function.

I think Si is the function that determines what's possible based on previously learned information/acquired experience.

Its 5am here and i might not be able to think this thru now(never thought about how intj work exactly before). S = what is and N = what could be, so Si doesent give info of what you could be in you, it gives info on what is. Si shows what you are and Ni says what you could be, in internal world. Se shows what is in external world, Ne says what could be in external world. For example if you notice that you have habit of doing some certain things, the thought comes from Si, since it shows you what is. When you see that you could for example change that habit, it comes from Ni.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
Its 5am here and i might not be able to think this thru now(never thought about how intj work exactly before). S = what is and N = what could be, so Si doesent give info of what you could be in you, it gives info on what is. Si shows what you are and Ni says what you could be, in internal world. Se shows what is in external world, Ne says what could be in external world. For example if you notice that you have habit of doing some certain things, the thought comes from Si, since it shows you what is. When you see that you could for example change that habit, it comes from Ni.
Maybe, in generalised terms, S usually tells you what is, but I don't think it's as clear-cut as this. A person using primarily Si might, I think, encounter some evidence, and in order to determine what it most likely means, will compare the evidence to past encounters with similar things, and recall what those things meant. That produces a hypothesis for this time.

Ni also produces a hypothesis, but it works in a different way. It's like an immediate awareness of the hypothesis, and the threads of reasoning that connect the hypothesis to the evidence. It's like a part of the total conception of the situation. And, while Ni's produce is often to do with potential rather than what is, it does give answers, and these can be in the present (or perhaps atemporal) tense.

Ne generates mere possibilities with no commitment attached, to be decided amongst by judging functions. Ni generates hypotheses with a degree of confidence attached, to be double-checked by judging functions.

Se is the only function, I think, that gives you what is basically interpretation-free information, exactly as percieved, in rich detail.

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Is INTJ humor more goofy and nonsensical while INTP humor is more ironic and subtle or is it the other way around?

yoginimama

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, I'm in the same situation; I can't figure out if I'm an INTP or INTJ.

I've heard that, very often, other types have a difficult time following INTPs. The INTP will think, erroneously, that they're on the same page with everyone else and make statements which seem to come out of left field. Then there will be a big mess sorting out at what point the underlying assumptions diverged.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah^. I sometimes say things that seem to come out of left field, but my head just makes connections too quickly, so I can make like three logical leaps away from the topic and make a comment based on the third degree.

Skyline

I've met an INTP and an INTJ physicists and boy, do they inhabit different worlds.

The INTP guy does some really hard-core maths, coupled with a very philosophical approach to his science. He's interested in fundamental physics, why we are here, how did we get here, building coherent mega theory-of-everything logical structures. He is a very nice guy, charming in a goofy mysterious way. Once he worked on a single publication for a whole year, which he claims no one reads because it turned out embarrassingly impenetrable (unless you are another INTP). He's a pretty big guy in his field, but he has like. . . no students and no post-docs, only collaborators. He encourages a lot of reading (i.e. taking in information), and he himself reads A LOT.

The INTJ guy is very results-oriented. He likes to say learning is important but you need to get some results *insert terrifying war commando aura*. He's almost a publishing house, and he has this somewhat... aggressive feel to him. Like... even when he's nice and stuff, there's a bite to it and Ps like me feel a bit like we've got to watch out. He thinks theory-of-everything/interpretations of quantum mechanics/etc. stuff is "interesting" but ultimately useless. He has these quirky ideas that go against the grain but he can argue for them till he turns red and blue and ultimately the other person caves in from either agreeing with him or from sheer terror+fatigue.
But usually these quirky ideas end up being pretty much on the ball.
He is also very very precise, and he hates when people waffle. Unlike the somewhat impenetrable publications of the INTP, he writes tersely, to the point, precisely and confidently. When you read his stuff, there's none of the philosophical ramblings and complicated wordings of the INTP, but more of a: THIS IS IT FOOLS, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE. Usually there will also be an I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, AND THIS IS WHY.

This is an awesome example of the two extremes, however note that not everyone' s preferences or J and P for that matter are this developped/extremized.

For instance I'm pretty cusped... Which makes up for a more mixed kind of (externalization of) personality.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTJ guy is very results-oriented. He likes to say learning is important but you need to get some results *insert terrifying war commando aura*. He's almost a publishing house, and he has this somewhat... aggressive feel to him. Like... even when he's nice and stuff, there's a bite to it and Ps like me feel a bit like we've got to watch out. He thinks theory-of-everything/interpretations of quantum mechanics/etc. stuff is "interesting" but ultimately useless. He has these quirky ideas that go against the grain but he can argue for them till he turns red and blue and ultimately the other person caves in from either agreeing with him or from sheer terror+fatigue.
But usually these quirky ideas end up being pretty much on the ball.
He is also very very precise, and he hates when people waffle. Unlike the somewhat impenetrable publications of the INTP, he writes tersely, to the point, precisely and confidently. When you read his stuff, there's none of the philosophical ramblings and complicated wordings of the INTP, but more of a: THIS IS IT FOOLS, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE. Usually there will also be an I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, AND THIS IS WHY.
What makes this guy specifically INTJ rather than ISTJ? I agree it sounds specifically TJ, but the other letters didn't stand out based on the description.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think INTP's would be less conflicting than an INTJ.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've heard that, very often, other types have a difficult time following INTPs. The INTP will think, erroneously, that they're on the same page with everyone else and make statements which seem to come out of left field. Then there will be a big mess sorting out at what point the underlying assumptions diverged.

:yes: