• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs interacting with others

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I stumbled across this just now and wondered if anyone else had seen it and what you thought of it?

Interaction with other Types

Some of it hit home with me, in particular:

4. Anima/Animus (opposite sex)
If you're a male, your 4th position CP will be your anima, ie, your female archetypal counterpart. It represents the feminine side of the man. Conversely, if you're female, the 4th position CP will be your animus, ie, your male archetypal counterpart. There's still a lot of discussion about whether the 4th CP is conscious or unconscious, but most type experts agree that it represents one's aspirational side at best, or one's negative projections at worst.
In the case of INTJ, Extraverted Sensing is our anima/animus, meaning that we aspire to gain mastery over the real world, in the present, via our 5 physical senses. This can take the form of gaining prowess at sport or some other physical activity.

I've always had 'pet projects' - this skill, that ability - and then become bored and moved on with something else.

5. One-Dimensional Opposing Personality
This is a construct invented by Dr. Beebe that represents the unconscious oppositional personality that holds up a "stop sign" when you encounter something you're uncomfortable with. In the case of INTJ, we instinctively balk at Extraverted iNtuition when we encounter it.
This is why ENFPs and ENTPs can drive us crazy! They're always exploring never-ending possibilities in the outside world, in the "here and now", which causes us to run away screaming! Our typical reaction is: "We know what to do; we've seen the future; we've charted the course -- let's move forward and stop all this procrastinating!" It takes practice and discipline to hear them out and extract valuable data from their insights.

Oh boy did this one ring true. I've said these things. Out loud. :yes:
6. Witch/Senex (same sex)
If you're a male, your 6th position CP will be your senex (wise old man), ie, your archetypal inner critic. Conversely, if you're female, your 6th position CP will be your witch, ie, your archetypal inner critic. As with any critic, the criticism offered can be destructive or constructive.

For an INTJ, Introverted Thinking directed at us instinctively causes us to assume it's negative criticism, and it takes practice to recognize the positive side, which is usually how it's intended. This is one of the most common causes of friction between INTJs and INTPs -- the INTP will take in an INTJs ideas and offer an Introverted Thinking analysis of them, and we immediately get defensive, because we perceive it via our witch/senex archetype.

7. Trickster
This arechetype can seem tricky or comedic depending on the context. But in either case, our tendency is to not trust it.

Extraverted Feeling (Fe) is the Trickster for INTJs. In situations where we're called upon to consider the needs of others from an empathic standpoint, we may find ourselves feeling embarrased because it seems almost frivolous. Similarly, when confronted with Fe from a person who favors that function (xxFJ types), we may become instinctively suspicious of the apparnet "tricky" nature of what's being offered. Good type development calls for us to release such feelings and consider the sincerity of Fe in such situations.

Both of these I've learned to get past, but they were issues when I was younger.

8. Demonic
This archetype is where our least proficient cognitive process resides. It can cause extreme distress when accessed. It's the one we most want to avoid.
For INTJs, Introverted Sensing (Si) is where our "demon" resides. It's the domain of past experience; of history; of recorded sensory impressions in our memory. It's common for INTJs to have a distorted or vague sense of their own past. Sometimes it's colored with false memories of good times or bad times. When others hit us with tedious historial detail, it's usually a signal for us to glaze over or run screaming from the room! However, in order to further one's individuation, it's wise to pay heed to Si and develop it to a point where it can be utilized effectively.

This I've attested to; my past, if I didn't have photographs and journals, would be riddled with gaps and missing years.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this page last week in my research for John Beebe material and I thought it was decent. I've been working on doing a writeup for INTP.

I'd love to read a lot of feedback from other INTJs as well, to see how they measured up and how the shadow functions play out.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How come all we get is a lousy witch and they get a wise old man?
I want a wise witch! <stomps feet> :steam:

But seriously folks...
I found that information interesting.
Anybody understand it well enough to explain this to me:

How come I can't get along with ESTJ women or INTP men?
Why does my INFP sister have such stupid ideas - when she's got a Master's degree?

What are the top 2 sources of conflict for me with my ISTP husband?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does my INFP sister have such stupid ideas - when she's got a Master's degree?

Ha -- I can answer that one without resorting to eight-function theory.

Their Fi + Ne is driving your Te utterly batty. And since you share Te and Fi, you might expect each other to behave certain ways that are entirely unrealistic.

My INFP girlfriend here at work talks about how she and a bunch of other INFP friends can all sit around the room and tell each other their theories on life, and the wonderful part is that (in her words) "it doesn't have to make any sense!"

Yes, they can all conflict, but it's just what they internally value coupled with possibility thinking, so it's "all true." (Which sounds like insanity to a Te... because it IS to a Te.)

Worse, you've got Fi values (tertiary) too, but they just support your Ni+Te process...their Fi drives all of their behavior, so the conclusions they reach will be VERY different from your Te.

And based on personal experience (and I mean nothing bad by it, because it's just quirky and lovable to me), INFP women seem to be about as bad at Te as INTP men tend to be at Fe. They just seem to do the most outrageous things -- things that I think, "And WHY did you ever think that would be a GOOD idea?!" ... just... illogical.

I think it's just personality, hormones, and brain wiring all pushing them in a certain direction.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You're right. Very illogical.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ha -- I can answer that one without resorting to eight-function theory.

Their Fi + Ne is driving your Te utterly batty. And since you share Te and Fi, you might expect each other to behave certain ways that are entirely unrealistic.

My INFP girlfriend here at work talks about how she and a bunch of other INFP friends can all sit around the room and tell each other their theories on life, and the wonderful part is that (in her words) "it doesn't have to make any sense!"

Yes, they can all conflict, but it's just what they internally value coupled with possibility thinking, so it's "all true." (Which sounds like insanity to a Te... because it IS to a Te.)

Worse, you've got Fi values (tertiary) too, but they just support your Ni+Te process...their Fi drives all of their behavior, so the conclusions they reach will be VERY different from your Te.

And based on personal experience (and I mean nothing bad by it, because it's just quirky and lovable to me), INFP women seem to be about as bad at Te as INTP men tend to be at Fe. They just seem to do the most outrageous things -- things that I think, "And WHY did you ever think that would be a GOOD idea?!" ... just... illogical.

I think it's just personality, hormones, and brain wiring all pushing them in a certain direction.

An INFP I knew in college considered logic to be "confining". The first time she told me that I was, quite literally, at a loss for words.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The main thing I question about that theory is that a person would be more opposed to what's called their eighth/"Demon" function than their inferior. I feel that I've always been most bothered by Se, rather than Si. I don't mind routine or standards, even if they can be a little boring or add work at times. And a lot of INTP's seem more bothered by Fe than Fi.

An INFP I knew in college considered logic to be "confining". The first time she told me that I was, quite literally, at a loss for words.

It is confining in the sense that it is only one philosophical perspective you can take on reality. But that doesn't mean it isn't interesting.

Mendacity

How come all we get is a lousy witch and they get a wise old man?
I want a wise witch! <stomps feet> :steam:

For real!! Lets riot! It'll be the only two-woman riot in history! :D

I'm at a loss for words now over that comment. Except maybe, "and I find your lack of rationality frustrating, ma'am."
Although that probably wouldn't be constructive.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The difference of P and J is about the subject only.

There is no difference in the object.