• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP career

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
i started out in engineering and got disenchanted with the reality of what typically goes on in the engineering world (paperwork and repetitive support instead of design), so i went into playing with noise (sound engineering) and event production. After 10 years of this, im getting a lil tired of being "just" the sound guy considering i hold the event planners hands enough.

id really like to manage a facility where others collaborate on creative things so i can go produce that film idea that's been sitting in my head

do like it? I considered sound engineering. Would you recomend it.

Permabanned
ENTP vs ENTJ approach

Ok I see what you mean now. Let me see if I can rephrase what you are saying in my own words and maybe add some things from the Ti perspective. I think what you mean by strategic has to do mostly with external structure. Ti will not think of how an action affects the whole company, because it does not think in terms of company structure. When you say "big picture" you mean the company's big picture. Because Ti does not think in terms of company structure, it is very good at solving problems, but horrible at preventing problems from happening in the first place.

Also ENTP's do not really think in terms of plans as much as they simply set goals. The goals can be far reaching, but the details will often change along the way, and once the goal is accomplished the ENTP will want to discard whatever he was just working on and look for something else completely different. There is a lot of planning involved in this, but it might not seem strategic to some people (depending on what you mean by strategy), because the plans are flexible and there isn't a lot of consistency once the final goal is accomplished.

I'm not sure if I would ever say Ti sees things in little chunks, quite the opposite. Ti is actually more "big picture" than Te. But it is too big picture to be practical. Te looks at a company structure and tries to see how all the connections fit together. Ti looks at the whole universe and tries to see how all the connections fit together. Te operates by company wide principles. Ti operates by universal principles that fit in any situation from making breakfast to launching a space shuttle (oh yeah and it works at the company too). Because Ti is so universal, it can be really impractical, because it doesn't adjust to the specific context. Te on the other hand can attach itself strictly to the context of the company, so it is far more efficient in understanding how the company operates.

Ti is really good at solving complex problems because it can get to the core of an issue better than Te can. It is more pure and universal. However Te can solve a greater quantity of problems and is a lot better at preventing problems from happening to begin with. Ti vs. Te is kind of like power vs. efficiency. That is how I see it anyway.

The difference is not only Ti vs Te bu the primaray and aux function preference togheter. According to the jungian function descriptions:

Extraverted Intuition

The motion component is integrated onto a wide matrix area. The Extraverted Intuitive will conceptualize process and pattern within the overall picture, and is immediately aware of all the possibilities suggested by a particular situation. The focus is always on future possibilities, rather than the present moment.

Introverted Thinking

Introverted Thinking establishes analytical and linear connections between our overall perceptions. It will build a web of specific and direct connections suggested by overall external elements. Introverted Thinkers are therefore not directly interested in the external situation, but rather on any understandings that it may provide.

Extraverted Thinking

Extraverted Thinking establishes linear connections within a localized matrix area. It brings order into specific aspects of life, and for this reason, an Extraverted Thinker will impose structure and order onto a particular organization or institution.

Introverted Intuition

Dynamic processes are integrated within a highly localized matrix area. Introverted Intuition is mainly interested in the abstract principles that underlie a given event, not in the event itself. For this reason, this function often provides insight and understanding.

As part of a brief research about career pros/cons and for comparison purposes:
http://www.how-to-change-careers.com/entp.html
http://www.how-to-change-careers.com/entj.html

It would be interesting to hear specific detail within your past/present job experience, in particular to gauge the ENTP/ENTJ leadership dynamic.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
A person-impersonator.

We should not be under the assumption that ENTPs are people. :newwink:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm very attracted by management consulting, business strategy and innovation management.

It's what, in my opinion, fits my talents and tastes best.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Dog walker
Barista
Ticket taker
Pizza delivery
Janitor
-the list is endless.

Permabanned
The issue, as pointed out in the links I provided, is that all jobs will require a level of stretching out of confort zone skills, amount depending on a combination of both career choice and contextual factors, which reduces the ability to foresee any more then theoretical hints, whitout actual hands-on experince.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I believe it's called growing up

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
Applied to urban planning now, but I kinda hope and consider to switch (or double major) to engineering later. I've noticed that I love developing ideas of structure and sustainability in environment and technologies.

Kuthtuk

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w3
I found my career in automation and building robots. Of course I can become a professor with that, but I can also go into building an army of 50 feet tall war robots and conquer the world. Gonna see about that xD

I work with robots too! XD! I would be dandy not having to build the war robots by my self!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I work with robots too! XD! I would be dandy not having to build the war robots by my self!

I tell you, it will never be easy. First you like robots, then spaceships, then suddenly you are toitally intrested in the auto-immune system and hey one day you even do find out you are the reincarnation of a genius cook :D

I think only two things with entp careers are important: the first things you need to actually stick with something, you can for example work in a job and earn money and do your other projects in your freetime. If you tho start switching jobs frequently and live your intrests in that field, this can become dangerous to your resumee :D. And it's all about the resumee !! :D

And the second thing is, you should never loose your enthusiasm and always have something on your mind that fascinates you. Your job most often grows boring after the first 2 weeks that happens always. But if you while being on the job then have other intresting things captivating your mind, you can do your job next to that without any problems. Just dont get caught, surfing on wet-pr0n.com :D

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Well I can't speak for all ENTPs, but for this one I must say I'd love to have Jamie and Adam of Mythbusters' job.

But since the chances of that happening is infinitesimally small, I think something with a scientific bent would be appropriate.

Anything other than subservient customer service. OH DEAR GOD ANYTHING! I don't think ENTPs are engineered to be this nice to so much stupidity for this long.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Professional Alligator Wrestler.

I hear the retirement program is awful, though.