• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP career

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Not sure.
But one of my friends told me that I'd make a great math/econ professor/teacher... something to consider?

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
I couldn't abide having to actually finish a research study. Or teach the same class twice. Blech. But the biggest reason I specifically chose not to be a professor was that I couldn't imagine myself hanging out with other professors and navigating the politics of academia. I had to actually create and produce something.

My dream job would be to be Charlie Rose.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
My long-term goal is to be a professor, seems like the perfect job to me. I could teach classes however I want (no need to plan extensively if I don't want to), I can research whatever interests me, I can be with people all day long, and I never need to teach a class the same way twice.

I taught at a tech camp this past summer, teaching programming crap to kids up to 17, and it was the best job of my life. The more sophisticated the students, the more fun I would have.

Also good for mental masturbating, which is something many love but few will admit to loving :p

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
i started out in engineering and got disenchanted with the reality of what typically goes on in the engineering world (paperwork and repetitive support instead of design), so i went into playing with noise (sound engineering) and event production. After 10 years of this, im getting a lil tired of being "just" the sound guy considering i hold the event planners hands enough.

id really like to manage a facility where others collaborate on creative things so i can go produce that film idea that's been sitting in my head

nucleaReligion

MBTI Type
ENTP
As some users stated earlier, I don't want my hobbies to become tedious. I love photography as a release from my daily activities.

I noticed something here in this post, and maybe it is just me, but I see a lot of ENTP's with "burnout" syndrome. They get into a career for a while and then burnout on it, only to look for a new one.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
but I see a lot of ENTP's with "burnout" syndrome. They get into a career for a while and then burnout on it, only to look for a new one.

yup

I started out in Finance, did well at it, but didn't make enough to retire, but still felt I had conquered it

now I'm in Human Resources consulting, which some might think odd because I'm about as "T" as they get, but it's kept my interest for a couple years, hopefully a few more at least

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i was reading how to become an astronaut and it sounds like the perfect job for me. thats what my dream is now...all the side things that get incorporated into the process are almost too good to be true

past future hopes:
-prof
-fighter pilot
-army guy
-theoretical/quantum physics scientist
-high exec in some high-execy company
-entrepreneur except this sounds like a lot of proactive work

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was a math professor there for a while, and the main thing I liked about it was flexible hours and not having to work summers if you don't want. I.e. the best part of that job was not being there, lol. However I don't really know of any other jobs I like either, so I can't really give advice as to what is good for an ENTP to go into.

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been a police officer for 12 years.

Pluses.......

Changing environments
Different people
Dynamic situations
Interrogating people (Use that ENTP insight to get in to their minds)

Minuses........

Paperwork
Paperwork
Paperwork

and Oh, did I mention......PAPERWORK!!!!!! :steam:

If my wife's career takes off i'm going to become an Entrepeneur, take start up money, find untapped markets, start businesses that fill the niche, run them for 6 months, hire a suitable trustworthy SJ type to run it.........and spend the next 6 months starting up another business.

One thing police work taught me is how to ACT like an ENTJ when the need comes........AND how to really get what I need from people.

sculpting

My ENTPs all excel at innovation, new ideas, manic induced sprees of creativity-and suck ass at operations. Also lacking in long term strategic vision. Too much Ti, not enough Te.

Many profs I worked with were ENTPs, but were utterly enthralled with the topic of interest, and then had some undergrads and grad students to actually deal with the mundane work in the lab.

Get started working at a company doing what you like, get a few years of work experience-then become a consultant, make a ton of money and go chase your whims.

In corporate america, most of my ENTPs play thier jobs like a game-that is why they stay. It is a systems puzzle to be tinkered with. Everyday is watching a new set of game moves unfold. Finance, law, upper level executive management, science, entreprenuers-all fast paced games to play.

The downside-They are not able to see the long term stress and unhappiness thier games can cause on the little people. They also are a little paranoid ?? NeFe ? They will create political strife, when none was actually there before.

It is good to sprinkle a few ENTPs in the pie, to create the best ideas, however make sure the carpet is easy to replace so you dont have to scrub out the bloodstains. Ideally, isolate them and make them fight with NeTi, not NeFe. Awesome ideas result, and you minimize collateral damage on the worker bees.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
My ENTPs all excel at innovation, new ideas, manic induced sprees of creativity-and suck ass at operations. Also lacking in long term strategic vision. Too much Ti, not enough Te.

Could you describe what you mean more specifically by strategic? Traditionally all NT's are described as strategic, but it's true that the strategy of an NTP looks differently than the strategy of an NTJ.

sculpting

Could you describe what you mean more specifically by strategic? Traditionally all NT's are described as strategic, but it's true that the strategy of an NTP looks differently than the strategy of an NTJ.

This will be hard, as I dont fully understand Ti and Te. It has been something I have been chewing on as of late, so please forgive and advise as it is quite raw.

But I think Ti allows for strategy in the sense of a chess game. Take a local context-the game with all of its possible steps, then make moves and anticipate all of the end results of given moves. So it is strategic, planned, controlled, precise and looking forward-in a very localized, controlled setting.

Another example-take a specific scenario at work and identify the localized Ti logical approach-For problem A, do action B. Utterly, totally correct logically.

However Te then asks-is this the consistant approach we apply to all problems at this company? The answer is no. So why extend extra effort/energy/resources to apply action B on this specific instance of problem A? It is inefficient and logically inconsistant with our big picture strategic approach. What will applying action B here mean to the other five departments the project has to pass through before becoming real?

Yet Ti will argue that we must do it for problem A and not seem to be able to understand/be willing to see the logical inconsistency in the big picture.

I picture little localized Ti connective blobs-each utterly correct in thier isolated context. But when combined in a global whole, they may now not be logically consistant-Te can see this as obvious.

Perhaps my position-sitting between R&D, Maunfacturing, QC and QA allows me to appreciate the inconsistancies. My ENTPs all have amazing ideas/solutions in localized contexts but are unaware of the big picture/long term implications once extended to the global context. It is like they cant understand how the Ti local chunks fit together?

Most biotech companies are started by ENTPs who torture everyone for awhile, and then sell the whole mess to a bunch of TJs to run.

NeTi has amazing, utterly awesome vision for the potentials, problems and myriad of solutions. But not strategic in the sense of how many different localized things aggregate-I can do a little but the NTJs kick ass here.

sculpting

an additonal comment-Ti without Ne really illustrates the problem more fully.

My ISTP ex is brilliant by IQ tests-multiple tests multiple time stick him at over 140. He got picked up out of jail at 6 am and went to take the SAT. He got the highest score in his county over the past five years. For awhile he liked chess. He beat the crap out of every chess player he could find in our local area. He beat the crap out of all the people in the chess club so they wouldnt play with him anymore. He found a few people in Dallas he could be challenged by but then got bored when he could beat them too.

Yet he cant schedule anything. Te is a vacant, gaping hole in his brain.

me: you need to pick up the kids today
him: ummm.....ten seconds of silence..so what does that mean?
me: pick them up in the car-first the older one at school, then the baby from daycare...
him: but at what time?
me :THE NORMAL TIME.
him: but I have to go to the bank today
me: TAKE THEM WITH YOU.
him: But what do I do with the baby?
me: TAKE HIM INSIDE THE BANK
him: I dont have the carseat in my car
me: do you have it at your house?
him: well, yeah..
me: sounds like you will need to drive home and put it in your car

me: i have to go now.

He has a 300 dollar fine for not paying 5 bucks in toll fees two years ago. I was his mom for ten years.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This will be hard, as I dont fully understand Ti and Te. It has been something I have been chewing on as of late, so please forgive and advise as it is quite raw.

But I think Ti allows for strategy in the sense of a chess game. Take a local context-the game with all of its possible steps, then make moves and anticipate all of the end results of given moves. So it is strategic, planned, controlled, precise and looking forward-in a very localized, controlled setting.

Another example-take a specific scenario at work and identify the localized Ti logical approach-For problem A, do action B. Utterly, totally correct logically.

However Te then asks-is this the consistant approach we apply to all problems at this company? The answer is no. So why extend extra effort/energy/resources to apply action B on this specific instance of problem A? It is inefficient and logically inconsistant with our big picture strategic approach. What will applying action B here mean to the other five departments the project has to pass through before becoming real?

Yet Ti will argue that we must do it for problem A and not seem to be able to understand/be willing to see the logical inconsistency in the big picture.

Ok I see what you mean now. Let me see if I can rephrase what you are saying in my own words and maybe add some things from the Ti perspective. I think what you mean by strategic has to do mostly with external structure. Ti will not think of how an action affects the whole company, because it does not think in terms of company structure. When you say "big picture" you mean the company's big picture. Because Ti does not think in terms of company structure, it is very good at solving problems, but horrible at preventing problems from happening in the first place.

Also ENTP's do not really think in terms of plans as much as they simply set goals. The goals can be far reaching, but the details will often change along the way, and once the goal is accomplished the ENTP will want to discard whatever he was just working on and look for something else completely different. There is a lot of planning involved in this, but it might not seem strategic to some people (depending on what you mean by strategy), because the plans are flexible and there isn't a lot of consistency once the final goal is accomplished.

I picture little localized Ti connective blobs-each utterly correct in thier isolated context. But when combined in a global whole, they may now not be logically consistant-Te can see this as obvious.

Perhaps my position-sitting between R&D, Maunfacturing, QC and QA allows me to appreciate the inconsistancies. My ENTPs all have amazing ideas/solutions in localized contexts but are unaware of the big picture/long term implications once extended to the global context. It is like they cant understand how the Ti local chunks fit together?

I'm not sure if I would ever say Ti sees things in little chunks, quite the opposite. Ti is actually more "big picture" than Te. But it is too big picture to be practical. Te looks at a company structure and tries to see how all the connections fit together. Ti looks at the whole universe and tries to see how all the connections fit together. Te operates by company wide principles. Ti operates by universal principles that fit in any situation from making breakfast to launching a space shuttle (oh yeah and it works at the company too). Because Ti is so universal, it can be really impractical, because it doesn't adjust to the specific context. Te on the other hand can attach itself strictly to the context of the company, so it is far more efficient in understanding how the company operates.

Ti is really good at solving complex problems because it can get to the core of an issue better than Te can. It is more pure and universal. However Te can solve a greater quantity of problems and is a lot better at preventing problems from happening to begin with. Ti vs. Te is kind of like power vs. efficiency. That is how I see it anyway.

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
So how do you know if you're Ti or Te?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Careers! I can't choose theres to many options. It like playing an RPG. I start a new character (career) then suddenly think of a new better one. Its fustrating.

WhooooT RPG reference!

:cheese: