• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] entp verbal communication

sculpting

Hey guys, quick question,

My very smartest entp 9/9 does a few odd things when communicating. Super Ne user but very bright with amazing, hidden Ti and the lumpiest Fe you will ever see.

1) Speaks slowly, word by word, and when he does this his tone can drop and get very quiet-OMT once said this might be him trying to convert his visual image in his head into a clear pattern for other folks to understand-enunciation of the NeTi linkages?

2) Once he starts talking, He will talk and talk and talk and use very precise, advanced technical terms or just very detailed, in depth explanations of what he is trying to say-and lose folks. Especially Te users but even other Ti users cant always follow. I dont get he is doing to this to be a show off or know-it-all. It is almost like he cannot verbally explain the Ti chain without going through each detail of the chain.

I have seen my entp best friend do this a little. This is where I complement nicely with Te. I see she has lost the audiance on a Ti detail explanation and I interject a connecting phrase or two to sum and tie into the big picture.

9/9 does this in excess and I'd like to give him some explanations of what he is doing however I need to understand it better first. We are at the point where he is presenting ideas to executives and the ideas are exceptional and very strategic and big picture based.

does this sound at all familiar?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He's probably not trying to show off; ENTPs do tend to lose people. We just get really excited about sharing our ideas with others.

One ENTP friend said to me the other day: "It's really depressing when you realize how little of what you're saying most people actually understand."

Ti likes to create justifications for everything Ne can come up with, and with Ti's scatterbrained outward disorganization, that can create a lot of rather incomprehensible rambling.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
yeah...he is trying to make sure they audience doesn't go through a lost-in-translation

he must be really confidant with this idea to try to map those NeTi connections into words...id listen to him

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
ENTPs seem to either rattle on frenetically, or they speak in such a way (slow, relaxed, precise) that I can't help but picture them reclining in an opium den :D

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
yes this sounds familiar.. trying to explain abstract, big picture ideas in concrete terms can be very difficult. many ENTPs who have gone through higher learning have been told many times how unclear, vague or hard to follow we can be.as a result we compensate by doing things like using examples and searching for le mot juste .

it doesn't sound like he's showing off, just trying to make sure he's understood..

At my old job part of my duties involved being in a thinktank concerned with process and workflow improvements. this was perfect for me as an ENTP but explaining my ideas was a nightmare. what really helped was writing down the key points I wanted to bring up each meeting . doing this ahead of time really helped my frustration as well as my coworkers.. maybe doing this can help your coworker?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey guys, quick question,

My very smartest entp 9/9 does a few odd things when communicating. Super Ne user but very bright with amazing, hidden Ti and the lumpiest Fe you will ever see.

1) Speaks slowly, word by word, and when he does this his tone can drop and get very quiet-OMT once said this might be him trying to convert his visual image in his head into a clear pattern for other folks to understand-enunciation of the NeTi linkages?

2) Once he starts talking, He will talk and talk and talk and use very precise, advanced technical terms or just very detailed, in depth explanations of what he is trying to say-and lose folks. Especially Te users but even other Ti users cant always follow. I dont get he is doing to this to be a show off or know-it-all. It is almost like he cannot verbally explain the Ti chain without going through each detail of the chain.

I have seen my entp best friend do this a little. This is where I complement nicely with Te. I see she has lost the audiance on a Ti detail explanation and I interject a connecting phrase or two to sum and tie into the big picture.

9/9 does this in excess and I'd like to give him some explanations of what he is doing however I need to understand it better first. We are at the point where he is presenting ideas to executives and the ideas are exceptional and very strategic and big picture based.

does this sound at all familiar?

BTW, what does "9/9" mean?

Anyway I can relate to these things:

1) Sometimes I speak very slowly and deliberately when my mind is working overtime. Internally my mind is spitting out tons of ideas and trying to organize them and make sense. My Ti is trying it's very best to make sense of it all carefully, so the verbal part other people hear is the Ti picking just the right words in just the right order, while internally Ne is working in overdrive. The reason for speaking slowly is I'm trying my best not to sound like a bunch of crazy jumbled ideas.

2) When I plan out what I'm going to say I go through an extra step where I think up the most precise way to say something that is relatively easy to understand. When I'm giving an answer I haven't prepared for, then the answer is a lot more technical and hard to understand.

If you are worried his presentation is going over people's heads you can have him present it to you and ask questions about the parts you don't understand. This should prepare him to give a clear and pithy explanation when presenting to the execs.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Sounds familiar for N dominant people. Trying to search for the right words to describe something and end up using something rather technical because the "technical" word better fits the image but losing your audience because they're unfamiliar with the term and you're so intent on describing, so engrossed in the thing, that you don't realize other people are glazing over. :D

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I usually start a sentence without knowing how it's going to end. and just count on being able to come up with something that sounds good in the time that it takes to say the previous word.

Generally this works out in my favor, except when I'm trying to explain some abstract or general idea I have to someone. I'll often drag words out or pause very briefly to pick the next word to describe my thoughts in the best way and make sure that I don't lose people in the fray. A lot of the time the words I choose are technical terms or very fancy sounding words that offer precision for my description. I'm not trying to sound like the shit while I'm talking, but it's the best way that I can describe whatever I'm going for.

Looking at it, I can see how it might seem like I'm trying to sound really smart, but I'm really just trying to get my idea across. One of the things that drives me insane is when I get a really good idea that could lead to success, but I can't explain it correctly to people.

Btw if this post didn't fully make sense, go away it's 3:00 AM o_o

EDIT: What does 9/9 mean?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wow, all of this sounds so familiar. Yes, precision is key and yes, it's hard to find the correct words for all the abstract thoughts flying around. I want to make sure everyone understands, so I overexplain.

I'm a lot worse in foreign languages.

sculpting

thanks guys, these are awesome ideas and feedback.

I call him 9/9 because his hugs score a 9 on a scale of 9. :)

Seriously tertiary Fe makes for cuddly hugs. I went drinking with him, parachuting bear, my newest favorite entp, and dirty sunshine, my favorite estp. Dirty Sunshine and 9/9 left, but before leaving, 9/9 gave me the most gigantic sweet hug ever. I had told him awhile back he had to stop solar flaring me with his tert Fe emo as I found it very confusing because Fi doesnt understand it, so now he won't touch me, but sometimes he sneaks in crazy hugs when I am not looking. He snuck up behind me and gave me a giant two armed rib hug and a neck snuggle. He is like a little kid that just wants to be held. This was after telling me I am "the catcher in the rye".

Then me and Parachuting Bear hung out, drank, and agreed that the 9/9 and dirty sunshine were both quite nuts. (that's something as he and I are both quite nuts already)

(And yes they all get secret names. My secret name is Sparkly K, as much like potassium, I am somewhat reactive. Others names are Dr. Staples, Mother russia, Papa Deviant, Furring strips, Sister solder, twisted Nut and so on...)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Wow, all of this sounds so familiar. Yes, precision is key and yes, it's hard to find the correct words for all the abstract thoughts flying around. I want to make sure everyone understands, so I overexplain.

I'm a lot worse in foreign languages.

Oh good god this. I know Spanish like the back of my hand and can read it with nearly full comprehension, but if I'm trying to say something and don't Ti the hell out of it beforehand, I'll get stuck in mid-sentence constantly. People tell me I speak it just fine, but I find it somewhat patronizing - I know I'm not saying it RIGHT.

Definitely need to go a year without speaking English, I think, to get it to where I want it to be.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Oh good god this. I know Spanish like the back of my hand and can read it with nearly full comprehension, but if I'm trying to say something and don't Ti the hell out of it beforehand, I'll get stuck in mid-sentence constantly. People tell me I speak it just fine, but I find it somewhat patronizing - I know I'm not saying it RIGHT.

I hear ya...
guess why I post so little in this forum. not that I don't anything to say, but 1) jeno has already said what I wanted to say anyway, 2) I just can't say what I mean PRECISELY, and that's annoying as hell. if I could write in my native language, I'd probably have 3000+ posts already :p

anyway, I've learned to sort of wrap up my lengthy extravertal thoughts. i.e. at first I do my extravertal thinking, Ne-ing all over the place and then say (or write): "AND the conclusion is *insert the essence of my half-an-hour speech in two sentences here*"

I've found it to work very well :)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I hear ya...
guess why I post so little in this forum. not that I don't anything to say, but 1) jeno has already said what I wanted to say anyway, 2) I just can't say what I mean PRECISELY, and that's annoying as hell. if I could write in my native language, I'd probably have 3000+ posts already :p

My bad... But yeah, it appears that we share a brain.

What is your native language?

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
(And yes they all get secret names. My secret name is Sparkly K, as much like potassium, I am somewhat reactive. Others names are Dr. Staples, Mother russia, Papa Deviant, Furring strips, Sister solder, twisted Nut and so on...)

All of your pet names for people are fun. :)

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I hear ya...

anyway, I've learned to sort of wrap up my lengthy extravertal thoughts. i.e. at first I do my extravertal thinking, Ne-ing all over the place and then say (or write): "AND the conclusion is *insert the essence of my half-an-hour speech in two sentences here*"

I've found it to work very well :)

haha, i feel like i'm following jenocyde around with a permanent +1 post.

i still can't be precise in my native language, maybe this place will help me out in that arena. i mostly avoid forums just for that very reason.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
My bad... But yeah, it appears that we share a brain.

What is your native language?
you are just very ENTP and write more :)
my native language is estonian. yes, estonia actually exists and is not an imaginary country as KOD once thought :p

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
you are just very ENTP and write more :)
my native language is estonian. yes, estonia actually exists and is not an imaginary country as KOD once thought :p

Unfortunately, Estonia will always remind me of Vanilla Ninja - you have my sympathies.

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8

Definitely need to go a year without speaking English, I think, to get it to where I want it to be.

Funny, I have somewhat the same issue. I understand what I am hearing in Spanish, but when asked to translate it I speak only in generalities...more interpretation than translation.

However when speaking Spanish, I normally don't have any issues...I just don't care if I make mistakes precisely BECAUSE it's not my native language. Short of interacting with Mexican police or courts, or in some near-physical confrontation, nothing I say is likely to have any dire consecquences other than having to repeat myself if I screw up. Same in the other languages I attempt to speak.

In English, however, I attempt to be as precise as possible.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Haaa, props to this thread.
I always wondered how I could be an EP and still get so many ".........:|......" reactions from people when I talk (well, ramble). Although a few people, like my close friends, maintain that I would make a good teacher.