• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] entp verbal communication

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
However when speaking Spanish, I normally don't have any issues...I just don't care if I make mistakes precisely BECAUSE it's not my native language. Short of interacting with Mexican police or courts, or in some near-physical confrontation, nothing I say is likely to have any dire consecquences other than having to repeat myself if I screw up. Same in the other languages I attempt to speak.
no, I don't think onemoretime was talking about language barriers (or "blocks"), I know I certainly wasn't. it's not about being afraid of making mistakes, I really couldn't care less, for example... I know I speak estonian with english words (i.e. the syntax and grammar is still estonian) :p

the "other language factor" gets annoying when I'm actually trying to explain something precise when the nuances are important... e.g. when talking about philosophy, pshychology... you get the picture.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Funny, I have somewhat the same issue. I understand what I am hearing in Spanish, but when asked to translate it I speak only in generalities...more interpretation than translation.

However when speaking Spanish, I normally don't have any issues...I just don't care if I make mistakes precisely BECAUSE it's not my native language. Short of interacting with Mexican police or courts, or in some near-physical confrontation, nothing I say is likely to have any dire consecquences other than having to repeat myself if I screw up. Same in the other languages I attempt to speak.

In English, however, I attempt to be as precise as possible.

It's more of a "the perfect is the enemy of the sufficient" issue.

I'd say translating in generalities is actually a strength and not a weakness - as you're fully aware of, there's no way to translate any language one-to-one with another. It's easier with the Indo-European languages, but still not perfect in the least bit.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
thanks guys, these are awesome ideas and feedback.

(And yes they all get secret names. My secret name is Sparkly K, as much like potassium, I am somewhat reactive. Others names are Dr. Staples, Mother russia, Papa Deviant, Furring strips, Sister solder, twisted Nut and so on...)

if this is anything like its playing in my head right now then i wanna see twisted Nut and hang out with dirty sunshine