• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP with INFJ tendencies...Anybody else?

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Okay, so I posted a thread over in the NF board and somebody there said my writing style made them think I was INFJ rather than INTP. This has piqued my curiosity. I've tested INTP and a few of my friends who have read the descriptions find it spot on accurate, as do I. After reading the INFJ descriptions, however, I believe I do lean in that direction, but only when around those who are close to me.

I'm going to repost my little self-observation rant that I put up in that thread and I would like some input. What are your thoughts? Has anybody else experienced any of this?

Here's my post from that thread. I'll give clarification on points if asked or if it seems needed. I'm not shy about digging inside my own head.

WARNING: I'm about to ramble here. The following are observations I've made of myself. This is in no way a complete novel (bet your thinkin' "Thank Gawd!), but it is a decent chapter (drat).

I believe I'm very much an intp after going through the type descriptions. The long one linked over on intp.org sent a chill down my spine like nothing ever has.

I am very in touch with my emotions, but have a hard time expressing them. The thing is the way I deal with those emotions. I don't usually know what I'm feeling at first, I just know something is up. I'll take a few days to retreat into myself and work through everything in my head to be sure of what I'm feeling. Then, and only then, do I feel comfortable expressing or talking about them.

My emotional responses are usually pretty controlled. For the most part, I'm very logical in how I work through things. Its usually "I need to be calm about this and think my through it" or "Under these circumstances, it would be best to trust my gut."

On the INTP side:
When I'm bored, I build cars in my head, or computers, or networks. I can see the components fitting together, how they affect one another. I tend to contemplate the mysteries of the universe. When I'm interested in something, I'm told I "research the flavor out of it". I'll forget to sleep or eat if I'm really caught up. I bounce from subject to subject(and they are rarely related), get to know the basics and file it back if its something I know I'll be more interested in later.

Psychology is a great interest to me. I'm a people watcher by nature. I don't care much for interacting with people directly, but I love watching people interact with one another. Its very fascinating how different types of people respond to different situations and other people.

Its when I'm actually stuck interacting with people that I think the FJ tendencies come out. Part of it is upbringing and past traumas. A mix of politeness and, at times, low self-esteem. I also think I have a strong sense of empathy at times. I can't stand seeing others in pain, especially if I feel they've done nothing to deserve it. If they do deserve it, I can be a heartless bastard though. I also have to be careful of the fact I tend to take on the mood of others if they're sending out a strong enough vibe. Its a bit of a pitfall for me and affects my ability to be objective. In the past, I've taken on the role of adviser or mediator for most of my friends and gotten myself into trouble because I let my heart get away from me when I KNEW I was being stupid.

I'm thinking I'm INTP with INFJ tendencies. Again, past experiences and traumas have forced me to confront my emotions and learn to accept them. I'm not shy about telling those stories either. I tell people, "There comes a point where things stop being traumatizing and start becoming morbidly humorous". Its a coping mechanism, at least.

The INTP descriptions definitely fit me much more, in my own opinion. I'm very interested in other people's perspective. The more perspectives I can get on something, the closer I am to the truth. The problem with self-analysis is: No matter how hard you try, you're always too close to the problem.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Those characteristic just seems like the result of a developed Fe function.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have ENFJ tendencies - shrug, though I'm happier when I'm P = ). Are you happier when you're INTP of INFJ?

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I'm kinda-somewhat like an INFJ, despite being an INTP. My functions match up slightly with the theory of INFJ's: Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
Whereas my order is this: Ne/Ti>Ni>Fi>Te>Se>Fe>Si

While my Fe is rather retarded, and I miss points on relating to them on that level, my Ni is up there. Also since the INFJ's have a high Ti, which is kind of strange for a NF, I notice myself relating my analytical theories to them well sometimes, even if they'll only passively be interested.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Its when I'm actually stuck interacting with people that I think the FJ tendencies come out. Part of it is upbringing and past traumas. A mix of politeness and, at times, low self-esteem. I also think I have a strong sense of empathy at times. I can't stand seeing others in pain, especially if I feel they've done nothing to deserve it. If they do deserve it, I can be a heartless bastard though. I also have to be careful of the fact I tend to take on the mood of others if they're sending out a strong enough vibe. Its a bit of a pitfall for me and affects my ability to be objective. In the past, I've taken on the role of adviser or mediator for most of my friends and gotten myself into trouble because I let my heart get away from me when I KNEW I was being stupid.

Honestly, I think you're an INFJ. I'm an xNTP that tends to lean slightly more towards an INTP. Nonetheless, I see myself as an ENTP. Basically, I cannot relate to anything that you typed.

You kind of remind me of my NFJ mother and brother. I just do not see myself actually caring about the "feelings" of other people. I often think that such random outbursts of emotions are irrational and annoying; maybe it's just me, but I lack the ability to feel empathy and often times feel uncomfortable around those who are emotional. This does not mean that I am not sympathetic though... I don't know.

I definitely think you're an INFJ

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Given how much your description reminds me of myself, I'm going to take a guess and say INTP.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Based on your description so far I think you're an INFJ. I'm married to an INFJ, and I've known quite a few INTP's over the years. That description sounds closer to INFJ to me.

For example it's clear that you're quite empathetic. You are fascinated by people but get nervous while around them. You are very in touch with your emotions. You used the word "reflect" instead of "analyze" when contemplating yourself. All of these things describe an INFJ better than an INTP. The very fact that you want several opinions to help guide your decision as to your type is more indicatative of INFJ than INTP.

EDIT: Btw, some of the best type descriptions I've found come from the links given below, since they are based on people describing themselves. Maybe this will help you make up your mind about yourself.
INTP
INFJ

redacted

I thought I was INFJ previously because I'm in the same boat. I concluded I'm INTP, though. I believe that I use Thinking significantly more than Feeling even though I'm quite focused on emotion in general. I'm also very empathetic.

But yeah, MBTI is descriptive...pick the type that best describes you, that's all you can hope for anyway.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This happens because INFJs with poorly developed secondary Fe look like Ni-Ti, which can be awfully hard to distinguish from Ti-Ne sometimes (or Ti-Si in the case of INTPs with poorly developed secondary Ne), especially in highly introverted individuals.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
When I'm bored, I build cars in my head, or computers, or networks. I can see the components fitting together, how they affect one another. I tend to contemplate the mysteries of the universe. When I'm interested in something, I'm told I "research the flavor out of it". I'll forget to sleep or eat if I'm really caught up. I bounce from subject to subject(and they are rarely related), get to know the basics and file it back if its something I know I'll be more interested in later.

Psychology is a great interest to me. I'm a people watcher by nature. I don't care much for interacting with people directly, but I love watching people interact with one another. Its very fascinating how different types of people respond to different situations and other people.

This also isn't very indicative of INTP, it belong to several others.

The INTP and INFJ temperaments are so very different. In unconscious tendencies, and in functions.

This happens because INFJs with poorly developed secondary Fe look like Ni-Ti, which can be awfully hard to distinguish from Ti-Ne sometimes (or Ti-Si in the case of INTPs with poorly developed secondary Ne), especially in highly introverted individuals.
Yes. Function order isn't about strength, it's just what you're in naturally closer affinity to.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
EDIT: Btw, some of the best type descriptions I've found come from the links given below, since they are based on people describing themselves. Maybe this will help you make up your mind about yourself.
INTP
INFJ

Thanks for those links, don't think I've come across those before. Great, either of those two could fit me depending on the situation. Now I'm even more confused.:doh:

Now I'm really wondering, Am I INTP whose in touch with my feelings? or Am I an INFJ who's been emotionally stunted?

I'm going to try and get my ENFJ friend to get on here and weigh in with any observations she's made of me. I'm also going to throw out another introspective rant soon.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Introspective Rant #2

Alright, so I'm pretty much just free-flowing here (or whatever you call it) and seeing what comes of it.

I'm a slob at home. Everything is an organized mess. Completely chaotic to the outsider, but I know (at least generally) where everything is. There's piles of crap everywhere around here though. At work, I can get obsessed with organization. A place for everything and everything in its place. There has to be a better way to arrange this to make things easier to get to.

I forget things. I have auto-pay set up on most of my bills. If I don't, I'll forget to pay them. The bill gets set off to the side, stuff gets piled on top, and it ceases to exist until I come home and power is turned off (that happened twice last year 'til I came up with a way to remember).

Overly emotional people piss me off. If you come to me for advice, listen to what I have to say. I've had several friends in the past who would take the first emotion they felt in a situation and run with it, no rhyme or REASON in it. We can't help how feel about something or somebody, but we can choose how we react to those feelings. THINK before you ACT!

I don't like people. A person can be smart, but people are stupid. If I see somebody suffering, my heart goes out to them, but unless they're close to me I don't really want to get involved. I don't care what others think of me. Their opinion doesn't matter. On the flip side, If you're in my inner circle, I'm constantly worried about how you view me.

I'm usually considered a ghost or a hermit to my friends. Even though I think the world of them and enjoy spending time with them, I'll still drop off the planet sometimes. In the old days, my friends didn't consider it odd to go 2 weeks without hearing from me. Nowadays, the friends I have get a little worried about me if I do that. I'm not really used to that.

I think my biggest hurdle is a physical affection barrier I have. I "talk" my emotions, I don't really "express" them in the normal sense. I'm not comfortable with people touching me. Growing up I got a lot more "hard" touch than "soft" touch. I can take a punch, slap, poke, kick and not think anything of it. A hug is just kinda weird to me. When somebody does touch me, I'm kinda...I dunno, hyper-aware or hyper-sensitive, I can kinda feel them when they're still a couple of inches away from actual contact. Touch=Trust to me. The more comfortable I am with someone touching me, the more it means I trust them.

When I do express, its not usually obvious. If I actually initiate physical contact with someone it means they're in my inner circle. Even with those closest to me its hard to initiate though even when I really want to. I'm more subdued about things when I do. I've got this weird head pat/hair-ruffle that's my equivalent to a hug. A one-armed side hug from me is a bear hug in my mind. I prefer to talk out my emotions, though. I've been told I don't give a lot of visual cues when something is bothering me. I find this to be true. I feel I've got a level of self-control that's oftentimes bordering on unhealthy.

That's all I got for this one. Y'all enjoying being my collective shrinks yet?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm a slob at home. Everything is an organized mess. Completely chaotic to the outsider, but I know (at least generally) where everything is. There's piles of crap everywhere around here though. At work, I can get obsessed with organization. A place for everything and everything in its place. There has to be a better way to arrange this to make things easier to get to.

Honestly, I think how organized (or how unorganized you are for that matter) doesn't really say much about your type; my mother is borderline OCD and is an ENFJ. I have inherited this trait to the point where I am unable to think or function in a messy room. I know some people will disagree with me, but I think anyone regardless of their type can be a pig or vice versa.

Unless you're an ESFJ of course :cheese:

I forget things. I have auto-pay set up on most of my bills. If I don't, I'll forget to pay them. The bill gets set off to the side, stuff gets piled on top, and it ceases to exist until I come home and power is turned off (that happened twice last year 'til I came up with a way to remember).

Meh, same with the first comment. And paying bills is something that I never forget; I actually pay ahead of time. Again, I think this reflects more on the person than their type.

Overly emotional people piss me off. If you come to me for advice, listen to what I have to say. I've had several friends in the past who would take the first emotion they felt in a situation and run with it, no rhyme or REASON in it. We can't help how feel about something or somebody, but we can choose how we react to those feelings. THINK before you ACT!

This is why I think you're an INFJ. You seem pretty emotional, yes? Why do these people "piss you off"? Can you give me a reason why this happens? I only get frustrated with people when they take the things that I say personally; I do not necessarily feel anger when people are emotional around me. I actually find it intriguing because I want to know the reasons behind why they are feeling this way. I think INTPs are the best listeners because when people come to us, we listen to their problems and try to solve them in a rational way. Emotions do not cloud our way of thinking because it's irrational.

I'm usually considered a ghost or a hermit to my friends. Even though I think the world of them and enjoy spending time with them, I'll still drop off the planet sometimes. In the old days, my friends didn't consider it odd to go 2 weeks without hearing from me. Nowadays, the friends I have get a little worried about me if I do that. I'm not really used to that.

INFJs can be seem pretty detached as well. The need for isolation is more of an 'I' trait.

Still sticking with INFJ :devil:

redacted

I wouldn't rule out INTP. Almost everything you said could apply to me (although some people here probably still think I'm INFJ).

I haven't heard enough about emotional processing, yet, or why you think you're a stronger Thinker than a Feeler.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
On dealing with Emotions and emotional people

I've learned over the years how much damage denying one's emotions can cause. I did that for a while and it drove me to the point that I almost did something....irreversible. I've found that if I can take the time to think through and define exactly what it is I'm feeling, I can accept them. Acceptance gives me control. Denial makes me nuts. This is especially true of negative emotions. Most people don't want to think about the things they could do, it breaks them when they come to the point they have to face that part of themselves. I've faced the dark monsters in my heart and gained control because of it.

I know feelings are irrational and it drives me crazy when my feelings on a matter are at odds with my thoughts. I also know that emotions are necessary. You can choose not to act on them though. Some of my friends have come to me for help. They take the first emotion they feel and run with it. It gotten them into a lot of trouble. You can't tell them why they shouldn't do it. They HAVE to express that emotion. They HAVE to do what that emotion is telling them to do. It drives me nuts.

I try to explain the pros and cons of different actions. Its okay to feel this way, but don't go doing something stupid. If you do this, its going to go bad, this is why its going to bad. If you do this, these are the possible outcomes I see, but if you do it THIS way, it could go a lot better. Some of my friends, it doesn't matter how many cons you stack up, they're going to run with what they feel and it screws things up.

You control your feelings. You don't let your feelings control you.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I don't like people. A person can be smart, but people are stupid. If I see somebody suffering, my heart goes out to them, but unless they're close to me I don't really want to get involved. I don't care what others think of me. Their opinion doesn't matter. On the flip side, If you're in my inner circle, I'm constantly worried about how you view me.

I think my biggest hurdle is a physical affection barrier I have. I "talk" my emotions, I don't really "express" them in the normal sense. I'm not comfortable with people touching me. Growing up I got a lot more "hard" touch than "soft" touch. I can take a punch, slap, poke, kick and not think anything of it. A hug is just kinda weird to me. When somebody does touch me, I'm kinda...I dunno, hyper-aware or hyper-sensitive, I can kinda feel them when they're still a couple of inches away from actual contact. Touch=Trust to me. The more comfortable I am with someone touching me, the more it means I trust them.

Ti

I've learned over the years how much damage denying one's emotions can cause. I did that for a while and it drove me to the point that I almost did something....irreversible. I've found that if I can take the time to think through and define exactly what it is I'm feeling, I can accept them. Acceptance gives me control. Denial makes me nuts. This is especially true of negative emotions. Most people don't want to think about the things they could do, it breaks them when they come to the point they have to face that part of themselves.

Others may have a better, more educated response, but to me this sounds like you think this is Fi, but it is really Ti, imo, because you are making a logical Thinking choice to control your emotions for a better outcome. If you were really F, you wouldn't feel like your emotions were controlling you, it would just feel natural and good to let your emotions lead.

I've faced the dark monsters in my heart and gained control because of it.

You may think you have, but I doubt it--deep down. I still hear it in your tone.

I know feelings are irrational and it drives me crazy when my feelings on a matter are at odds with my thoughts. I also know that emotions are necessary. You can choose not to act on them though. Some of my friends have come to me for help. They take the first emotion they feel and run with it. It gotten them into a lot of trouble. You can't tell them why they shouldn't do it. They HAVE to express that emotion. They HAVE to do what that emotion is telling them to do. It drives me nuts.

All Ti again. Ti consumes your writing. INTP is Ti/Ne.

I try to explain the pros and cons of different actions
. Its okay to feel this way, but don't go doing something stupid. If you do this, its going to go bad, this is why its going to bad. If you do this, these are the possible outcomes I see, but if you do it THIS way, it could go a lot better. Some of my friends, it doesn't matter how many cons you stack up, they're going to run with what they feel and it screws things up.

Ne majorly here.

You control your feelings. You don't let your feelings control you.

INTP :)

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
You may think you have, but I doubt it--deep down. I still hear it in your tone.

LOL!!! You're right. I'm screwed up. I'm just a lot less screwed up than I used to be. Maybe one these days I'll actually be a normal, well-adjusted human being. :eek: *shivers in terror*

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL!!! You're right. I'm screwed up. I'm just a lot less screwed up than I used to be. Maybe one these days I'll actually be a normal, well-adjusted human being. :eek: *shivers in terror*

haha. Right on. If you were really normal you wouln't like that as much, now wouldya, MR INTP? ;)

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
A Quick Side Note on Emotions

I am prone to following impulses or emotion. When I do though, I've already weighed the pros & cons and possible consequences of doing so. I'll act purely out of emotion AFTER I've decided the emotional satisfaction I'll get from it is well worth the consequences. I'm not really spontaneous. I have to choose to let myself go. From that point on, until I reign myself back in, I'm spontaneous.

Just a little something I felt needed to be added to my above post on dealing with emotions.