• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP with INFJ tendencies...Anybody else?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Phoenix_400, here is my $.02. The more I read your posts the more you sound like an INFJ. I mean if you put it all together the overall tone is how an INFJ would put things. INTP's would put their overall presentation together in a different way if that makes sense.

Now if you look at the pieces sentence by sentence I think, "That is something either type could say." There is one place you really sound like an INTP and a few where you really sound like an INFJ.

Here you sound like an INTP:
I'm usually considered a ghost or a hermit to my friends. Even though I think the world of them and enjoy spending time with them, I'll still drop off the planet sometimes. In the old days, my friends didn't consider it odd to go 2 weeks without hearing from me.

Here you really sound like an INFJ:
If I see somebody suffering, my heart goes out to them, but unless they're close to me I don't really want to get involved.
On the flip side, If you're in my inner circle, I'm constantly worried about how you view me.
Most people don't want to think about the things they could do, it breaks them when they come to the point they have to face that part of themselves. I've faced the dark monsters in my heart and gained control because of it.

Anyway take what you will from all of that. I think you are an INFJ, but it's more accurate to say that you don't fit the stereotype of either the INTP or the INFJ.

redacted

Haha the weighing pros and cons of emotional expression really reminds me of me.

I'll say INTP.

I always think of emotions as an economics game. I pay lots of attention to them, but I'm not satisfied with the value side of things; it all has to make sense and fit together.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
Could you weight out the types you're definately not? What traits of INFJ/INTP do you really not relate to?

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I tend to have more INFP tendencies than INFJ tendencies, focusing more on Fi...

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
and suddenly...A TWIST!!!

So, I had my ENFJ friend read through all this. We had a long discussion and delved some into the deep dark abyss of my past. She's gone over her thoughts and observations about me and has concluded that I'm an INFP that got screwed up somewhere along the way.

I've read through the descriptions and it actually makes a lot of sense. The characteristics are very spot on in much the same way I find INTP to be. If its true, I've repressed a lot on my part.

I love my tech. I've got tons of car and computer magazines. Looking at my bookcase though, its all fantasy novels and such. I've got the Book of Five Rings, The Art of War, a book on Spirit Evocation, Vampires, Psychology. I've done a lot of studying into the occult and things that science can't really explain, astrology, ghosts, extra-terrestrials, the bermuda triangle. I've got my own theories on religion and such. When I'm studying something like say "using electromagnets as propulsion for inter-planetary travel" I stop when it starts getting heavy into the mathematics. I can't do math. I can memorize formulas, but I can't crunch the numbers.

Digging into the past:
Growing up, my parents had a...harsh way of dealing with me. Their way of getting you to do what they said was always to beat down your self-confidence and tell you how screwed up you were until the only way you thought you could succeed was to do what they said. I always challenged though. I got to the point I would rebel just to show them I wasn't afraid of an ass whoopin'. It was the same at school. Being a scrawny book worm, I got bullied a lot. I'd get it at school, then come home and get it some more. I was borderline suicidal for a couple of years. I had to detach myself from my emotions just to survive. We think this may be why I test INTP. The emotional detachment prompted a growth in logical thinking. I stopped expressing and wouldn't do so unless I filtered it out and was sure it was safe. I was scared of myself for a while until I started doing this.

I hung out with other misfits. The druggies and the freaks, they accepted me and never gave a reaction to my eccentric behavior expect for the occasional shrug of the shoulders. Even though I've never touched anything but tobacco and alcohol myself. My friends would always come to me advice. They'd say how I always seemed so down to earth and knew what to do. I thought they were nuts to come to me for help since I always felt like I was losing my mind. With everything else I had going on, I always tried to save just enough of myself to help my friends. Even when it was bailing them out of trouble cause they didn't follow my advice in the 1st place. I never broke down where anybody could see, I wanted them to think I was the rock they could lean on. It brought me even closer to the breaking point and I started withdrawing from people and their problems.
---------

I'm really thinking she may be onto something with this. I'm going to explore the idea further. Maybe I'm an INFP that repressed the F and went T as a survival mechanism. It makes sense in my head.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think I may call myself INxP for now and see what develops since I'm trying to socialize and express myself more these days.

Also: SARAH IS THE GREATEST!!! ;)

Last edited:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Phoenix_400, yeah I think INFP actually makes a lot of sense based on what you've posted. So much of what you said really sounded like an INF type, but you also sounded like you were even more of a loner then the typical INFJ (which is saying a lot). INFP's are even more private than INFJ's, so I think that INFP fits you better than either INTP or INFJ.

redacted

I would still say INTP. I haven't seen almost any F from you. Just because you're focused on the emotion aspect of reality doesn't mean you don't favor true/false processing.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Nah, you don't have to be INTP. We don't want you... :smoke:

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
I RETURN!!!! (and the people groaned in exasperation)

WOOT! My computer is back online. Now running with XP/Windows 7 dual boot-y goodness. It sucked going a week with nothing but my iphone for my interwebz addiction.

Now, time to get back on track with this, if anybody's still interested.

I really think its coming down to INFP or INTP. Looking through the forums, this seems to be a common point of conflict for folks. Seems the main difference in the two isn't so much in their actions or habits, but how they perceive things and the thought process behind the actions.

I would still say INTP. I haven't seen almost any F from you. Just because you're focused on the emotion aspect of reality doesn't mean you don't favor true/false processing.

I'm actually trying to figure this out myself. Here's the link over to the post I did in the NF forum that started my whole re-evaluation. Please don't anybody post in that one. We finally managed to kill that stupidity. You can read through it if you want to get a feel for my reactions there.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/22007-hangin-enfj-s-exhausting.html
When I start self-analyzing I detach from myself quite a bit. It makes it easier to figure out my own thoughts, actions, and feelings.

More Thoughts

As I've stated in the past, I love my tech. I've got a few technical manuals, computer build and security books, and car building books. I've realized I skim through those books for the main points but I'll bury myself in a psychology book or fantasy novel and throw the tech stuff in a corner without a second thought.

Looking back, I was a gullible little kid. I would believe anything my friends told me just because they were my friends and I trusted them. I had to learn to be skeptical. I still have a very hard time trusting even my closest friends. I'm always caught between wondering what they're really after and wanting to believe they'd never do something like that. I wonder how much of their words are meant to placate me and how much is sincere....I don't like that I do that, hate it in fact, but I've been back-stabbed and left hangin' enough times I can't help it.

I also have tendency to mimic people or "brain channel" as I've called it on occasion. I take up small habits and phrases they use without really meaning to. I get to the point that I can time some of their phrases and tell when they're going to use that particular phrase. I can make the effort to say it before them or in time with them. With my closer friends, we end up saying the exact same thing at the same time on accident or one of us saying exactly what the other is thinking...Well, its only been two people in my life its happened a lot with. With others, its much more sporadic but it still happens.

Edit:
Just saw a post in another forum that brought up another couple of points. One of my friends learned that if your going to give me a compliment you have to follow it up with something sarcastic or I freeze up. Direct compliments kind of shock me, I'm not used to them. It was funny to me when they told me they figured this out because I didn't realize before then that it was completely true.

I get nervous when I'm doing something new and friends are around. With strangers I don't give a crap, I'll probably never see them again, but with friends I get very self-conscious.

I had a pretty deep conversation with a friend not too long ago. After it was over, they told me something to the effect of, "Thank you for knowing me better than I know myself". This isn't the first time this has happened and it makes me extremely uncomfortable. I'm afraid I'm digging too deep with them and they don't want to tell me so. I want to dig in and get to know them, help them with their problems, but I've had a tendency to go in too deep too fast on occasion and spooked people or upset them when it wasn't my intention.

_____
Thats all I've got time for right now.
Thoughts anyone?

P.S. It's good to be back:D

Last edited:

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Anybody use this?

Just went took a little cognitive functions test from the link below.
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

Got the following results:

cognitive_function.jpg

Your Possible Type Code
According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:
Possible result: INTP

We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.
Possible result: INFP

Your Developmental Curve
This model attempts to graph a 'developmental curve'. Theoretically, people should choose simpler, less sophisticated aspects of the cognitive processes more often than they choose complex, more sophisticated aspects. The simpler aspects of each process are necessary to perform the more sophisticated aspects! However, because the phrases are in development, this measure has questionable validity.

Your self-assessment curve = -0.8

-- A curve less than 0 indicates you checked simpler phrases more often than sophisticated ones. This is expected, although a particularly low number (more than -10) might happen if the phrases were particularly unclear to you, or if you under-estimated your abilities.

-- A curve greater than 0 indicates you checked sophisticed phrases more often than simpler ones. This would be counter to a developmental model and might happen if many phrases are badly written or if you have over-estimated your capabilities.

Your Most-Used Processes
Based on your response, these are your top three cognitive processes in use:

Ti : Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision.

Fi : Evaluating; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

Ne : Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change 'what is' for 'what could possibly be'; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts.

________
INxP: I'm functionally Bi-polar I guess:devil:

Nyx

Well, I'm an INFJ with strong INTP tendencies ;) I think INFJs who are enneagram 5s (5w4 usually...fairly uncommon for this type though...most are 4w5s) can easily be mistaken as NTs...
In day to day life and especially during interactions with people I'm obliviously an INFJ. When I get into my knowledge/learning mode I'm straight up INTP the majority of the time. Approach knowledge like an INTP, see the world like an INFJ.

I would assume you're a 5w4.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Actually I'm a 5w6. From what I understand, the 6 wing is supposed to make me a bit more people oriented. I've been wondering if that's where it comes from.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Took another version of the above test. This one wasn't broken down by function. I like it better like this, its harder to mess yourself up by thinking too hard. A lot of the same questions, just not categorized.

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Here's my results. Apparently I'm INTP by a hair. This would be much easier if certain functions were less developed. I'm not close enough to either extreme to really say what I am accurately. I still think I switch T/F depending on the circumstances.

cognitive2.jpg

Usehername

On a mission
You look more like INFP to me based off of that test.

The difference between Ti and Fi for you is negligible, so looking at your next three functions, you're stronger at the INFP top 4 than you are at the INTP top 4.

(INFP = Fi, Ne, Si, Te; INTP = Ti, Ne, Si, Fe)

You're not going to get your answers through tests--this is a self-discovery thing for you. :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^^But his extraverted thinking score is lower than his extraverted feeling. So disregarding the closeness of Ti/Fi, his next three functions seem to be Ne, Si, Fe.

Usehername

On a mission
^^But his extraverted thinking score is lower than his extraverted feeling. So disregarding the closeness of Ti/Fi, his next three functions seem to be Ne, Si, Fe.

:huh: How did I mix this up when I spelled out the functions for myself? I must have been scanning it quickly and thinking that your Te score was full like your Ti.

Orangey is right.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Pheonix_400, I still think you're probably INFP, but these function order tests are so close between Ti and Fi, that I don't think you're going to come to a final conclusion based on an online test. You're probably going to have to dig deeper into MBTI/Jungian Theory in order to figure out which type you identify more with.

:huh: How did I mix this up when I spelled out the functions for myself? I must have been scanning it quickly and thinking that your Te score was full like your Ti.

Orangey is right.

This is kind of off topic, but out of curiousity do you score higher on Ne or Se when you take those tests which determine your function preference?

Usehername

On a mission
This is kind of off topic, but out of curiousity do you score higher on Ne or Se when you take those tests which determine your function preference?

I usually score about equal on the two. I usually score as an NFJ, but have for the past few weeks been hermiting/GRE studying/picking apart highly dense academic writing (Ti) for classes, and scored as an INTJ for the first time on the CP test just now. Clearly, too much studying and not enough interacting. :D Usually my Se/Ne/Ti scores are lower, and my Fe/Te is higher. I have nothing to say about my Si except it's taking me weeks to memorize a few basic facts about triangles and whether 0 is an even or odd number, etc. I can always work it out when I think it through, but there's no time on the GRE--you just gotta know and I am about ready to bang my head against the Kaplan book.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.3)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) *** (3.8)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.3)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************************** (47.6)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************** (44.4)
excellent use